New Motor Gaurd Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just completed installation of a Motor Guard (supplied by Ralph) on my 2001 Jimmy SUV . I used a TD Performance Products Sandwich adapter and drilled a 1/8" diameter bypass orifice in the adapter. The adapter does have a built in relief valve. Additionally, Ralph drilled a 1/8" diameter bypass orifice in the bypass filter. I had the local Parker store fabricate series 601-6 swivel hose assemblies. The hose has a 3/8" ID. I am using a WIX FF oil filter.

The bypass filter gets very warm to the touch once the motor reaches operating temperature so it seems that oil is flowing through.

The motor exhibits an across the board approximately 4 psig drop in oil pressure (when hot) after installation of the Bypass. Is this normal / acceptable? Should I consider enlarging the bypass orifice drilled into the sandwich adapter?

Other than the question regarding the oil pressure, I had no problem installing the filter assembly. The most time consuming part was fabricating the brackets required to support the filter. I had to mount the filter just behind the front bumper. This is within 18" of the stock remote FF filter so I was able to minimize the hose length.

Thanks for the help.
cheers.gif

Hi, I don't know anything about bypass filters but i installed one on my 1995 Ford Truck and its working great as well. I don't have a "real" oil guage just a dummy guage so I dunno if I am experiencing the same prob.

I'll just bump it for you for someone more educated to answer.

Tatewart,

Four psi wouldnt matter. I am not familiar with the TD performance but you can get about two qts of oil a minute thru a 1/16" orifice using 30 wt motor oil at 100 degrees F at 50 psi. Or so says my 1966 Motor Guard technical manual. I called the people at Perma-Cool and was told that the relief valve was large enough to handle the flow of oil if the cooler or remote filter is clogged.
I drilled a 1/4" relief in my Perma-Cool adapter and it reduced the resistance enough that it took a long time to heat up the Motor Guard. I dont have a relief orifice in the old 30 year Motor Guard M-100. The reason I drilled the adapter is because I thought the adapter was holding the Motor Guard full of oil. I found that if I opened up the tee handle just enough to let air in the filter would drain. I do it when the filter is hot. I have a Flexalite adapter here on the desk that looks like it has a 5/16" relief valve. Some full flow filters will change the pressure a little depending on the depth of the element and the spring tension.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back