New Model 3 Performance released

Just met a Real Estate agent. Young lady showing us a house. She showed up in a big nice black Tesla sedan. She told me it was
spoiling her. She said it almost drives itself and she gets all confused and messed up driving their other car because of it. She did
say she loves it and the only problem she has is NO ONE except the Tesla dealer about 45 mi from her house are the only ones who
can work on her tires (she says) she goes thru tires like crazy? Maybe from the weight? Lots of highway driving she did say. Said it
rides like a dream. She said hers is called the new Tesla Model Y. Looked like cross between sedan and suv? OOPs. This was a string
about Model 3. Forgive me. No blindfold for the firing squad....... I'll take it straight on!

Its not hard to control at all. My 240whp foxbody was more of a handfull.
lol. Did your fox body do <3s 0-60?

240whp… yawn. These cars we’re talking about make full torque at 0rpm it’s apples and oranges.

I know you want to justify illegal behavior and excesses. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s super easy with cars with far lower specs to get into illegal situations, and even on empty roads it’s still… illegal. And there really is no reason for that much speed practically speaking. Which was precisely my point.

240whp… yawn. These cars we’re talking about make full torque at 0rpm it’s apples and oranges.

I know you want to justify illegal behavior and excesses. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s super easy with cars with far lower specs to get into illegal situations, and even on empty roads it’s still… illegal. And there really is no reason for that much speed practically speaking. Which was precisely my point.
I had muscle cars all my life and once young and stupid drove like a fool. Burned up tires and money paying tickets and had license taken away more than once. Older we all learn and know better and how dangerous things are. Speed is FUN but it does belong on public roads. Wife and I doing 70 in cruise today were being passed as if we were going in reverse. I even told her, "they have to be going close to 90-100mph leaving us behind like this. Not even many sports cars. It was families in SUVs and pick up trucks , sedans etc....... Folks do not realize just what can happen if you have a blow out or some type problem doing that kind of speed on an interstate full of others and the semi trucks who can smash you. I have had a tire blow out doing 60+ mph and was lucky to not lose control. The shredded tire tore the front of my Chevelle to pieces by the time I stopped. Front end and fender mashed like a paper bag or coke can.

Exactly, and to think it was more of a handful is astounding, but there it is.

I was going to talk a little about this as well.

I would agree with you that it's not hard to control at all, and this is both a good and bad trait.

It used to be you had to work your way up to a 500HP car in increments because they were too expensive to go out and buy as a young person, and they were much harder to drive -clutching, shifting, rev matching, tires breaking loose, sliding, cooking brakes, dissolving tires out of turns.

You had to earn your way to this level of power through skill, money and seat time.

These EV's are so easy to drive they remove the need for the base skills you used to have to previously build up/ earn over time that taught you how to handle your self in a hot corner or in a slide, or entering/ exiting a turn.

At 50K this level of performance is basically available to everyone like a 1000cc bike, but just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you should have it.

An unskilled driver with a 500HP car is recipe for disaster.
1Tesla23.54
2Ram22.76
3Subaru20.90
4Mazda18.55
5Lexus18.35
6Volkswagen18.17
7BMW17.81
8Toyota17.18
9Infiniti16.77
10Honda16.50

I would suggest something other than horsepower is the cause here, as Subaru is 3rd, ROFL! Only 3 accidents per 1K behind Tesla, and Lexus seems worse than BMW. RAM taking spot #2? They just make trucks, and very few are TRX's.

Just met a Real Estate agent. Young lady showing us a house. She showed up in a big nice black Tesla sedan. She told me it was
spoiling her. She said it almost drives itself and she gets all confused and messed up driving their other car because of it. She did
say she loves it and the only problem she has is NO ONE except the Tesla dealer about 45 mi from her house are the only ones who
can work on her tires (she says) she goes thru tires like crazy? Maybe from the weight? Lots of highway driving she did say. Said it
rides like a dream. She said hers is called the new Tesla Model Y. Looked like cross between sedan and suv? OOPs. This was a string
about Model 3. Forgive me. No blindfold for the firing squad....... I'll take it straight on!
The Model Y looks like a big hatchback. It's basically a stretched up and slightly higher sitting Model 3. I do wonder if some cars have alignment issues from factory. I haven't had tire issues, but I'm pretty sparing with the throttle most of the time. It'll get loose easy with the torque if I do feel like killing tires. I try not to do it often. As fun as it is to get sideways the lack of any way to gauge tire speed, it's hard to hold sideways, plus I can't seem to fully disable traction control on the car. If I get to extreme yaw angles it just kills the throttle.

There's no way around gasoline performance vehicle with a manual transmission being easier to fine tune angle in slides. I still haven't gotten used to it in the Model 3. The overactive traction control won't allow me to find the balance. I think the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N will be easier about this because of the performance angle of the vehicle and it's also got an option to simulate noise and gears to make it easier to gauge wheel speed if that option is preferred.

The guy across the street has one of those BiTurbo SL63 AMGs; the sound is pure heaven. Big bucks! $200K? More? His wife has a Model Y Performance grocery getter...
Looks kinda like this:
View attachment 216337
This is the one thing Tesla does not do yet. None of their cars look particularly interesting or are emotive other than the Cybertruck.

There is still only 1 M3P on display in Silicon Valley, the one I saw at Santana Row. No test drives. I am getting close to ordering...
1714866756566.jpg

I would agree with you that it's not hard to control at all, and this is both a good and bad trait.

It used to be you had to work your way up to a 500HP car in increments because they were too expensive to go out and buy as a young person, and they were much harder to drive -clutching, shifting, rev matching, tires breaking loose, sliding, cooking brakes, dissolving tires out of turns.

You had to earn your way to this level of power through skill, money and seat time.

These EV's are so easy to drive they remove the need for the base skills you used to have to previously build up/ earn over time that taught you how to handle your self in a hot corner or in a slide, or entering/ exiting a turn.

At 50K this level of performance is basically available to everyone like a 1000cc bike, but just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you should have it.

I agree, especially with the recipe for disaster part. It's a great way for someone to kill themself, or worse, an innocent person or innocent people. The EVs are slowly moving up on my L.I. Reckless Driving List Of Cars. Considering the amount of them around percent wise they're way up there. They're slowly moving up towards BMW which is currently at the top of my list.

This is the one thing Tesla does not do yet. None of their cars look particularly interesting or are emotive other than the Cybertruck.
That's kind of the point of the cars. They aren't overly styled and don't scream look at me. I think that's why the nondescript Model Y sells so well. It takes the few styling elements of the Model 3 that look great and then ruin the proportions. It seems most buy nondescript vehicles. It's why the Camry, Corolla, Edge, and other amorphous blob vehicles have done well. Sacrificing styling for space and practicality.

I'm not really a fan of the noisemaker EVs. They're too try hard in this approach, though Hyundai's last effort made it a bit more interesting. Most modern cars at a reasonable price bore me. The thing I like about the reasonably priced EVs is that they drive ok and are cheap to power. Just for the heck of it today I decided to swing by the VW dealer. I'd either buy a new manual GTI right now while they're still left or wait about 5 years and buy an EV. There's just very little interesting or fun under $50k. Solid cars, sure, but nothing that seems to inspire excitement for that price.

1Tesla23.54
2Ram22.76
3Subaru20.90
4Mazda18.55
5Lexus18.35
6Volkswagen18.17
7BMW17.81
8Toyota17.18
9Infiniti16.77
10Honda16.50

I would suggest something other than horsepower is the cause here, as Subaru is 3rd, ROFL! Only 3 accidents per 1K behind Tesla, and Lexus seems worse than BMW. RAM taking spot #2? They just make trucks, and very few are TRX's.

The lending tree data doenst mean what people think it means on its face.
This represents the accident rates of people applying for insurance for a given vehicle.
Problem is we dont know what car they were driving when they had these accidents.

I agree, especially with the recipe for disaster part. It's a great way for someone to kill themself, or worse, an innocent person or innocent people. The EVs are slowly moving up on my L.I. Reckless Driving List Of Cars. Considering the amount of them around percent wise they're way up there. They're slowly moving up towards BMW which is currently at the top of my list.

Im not sure what the accidents rates actually are for vehicles in its performance class.

I take it you've never driven a fox body Mustang. With the 5spd, they were squirrely stock, a bolt-on car was worse and anything H/C/I and beyond was a handful.

Mine was far from fast; 12 second car, 270 to the tires, so about 325HP flywheel, would blow the tires off through 1st and 2nd with ease and would spin in 3rd before hooking up.

No drive by wire, no ABS, drum brakes on the rear, no traction control, no stability control and they were LIGHT.

So, when I stabbed the throttle, that 75mm throttle body didn't gradually open, there was no attempt to detect and circumvent wheelspin, it was "HERE IS EVERYTHING" into the transmission.

Cars today can be 700HP, and civil, because of all the stuff the fox cars didn't have. They are also much heavier to boot.

Yes, an EV has the ABILITY to deliver full torque at 0rpm, but that's not what it does. If it did, it wouldn't move, it would just melt the tires. On the other hand, you side-step the clutch with a stab on the go-pedal in an old no-nannies car like the fox and every ounce of power that engine is producing at that moment gets delivered to the tires, and when there's wheelspin, nothing is detecting it, nothing is dialled back, and that's a visceral and very different experience. That's what makes them a handful. The rear starts to come around? Nothing is there to try and correct that, either you do it, or you spin out.

I take it you've never driven a fox body Mustang. With the 5spd, they were squirrely stock, a bolt-on car was worse and anything H/C/I and beyond was a handful.

Mine was far from fast; 12 second car, 270 to the tires, so about 325HP flywheel, would blow the tires off through 1st and 2nd with ease and would spin in 3rd before hooking up.

No drive by wire, no ABS, drum brakes on the rear, no traction control, no stability control and they were LIGHT.

So, when I stabbed the throttle, that 75mm throttle body didn't gradually open, there was no attempt to detect and circumvent wheelspin, it was "HERE IS EVERYTHING" into the transmission.

Cars today can be 700HP, and civil, because of all the stuff the fox cars didn't have. They are also much heavier to boot.

Yes, an EV has the ABILITY to deliver full torque at 0rpm, but that's not what it does. If it did, it wouldn't move, it would just melt the tires. On the other hand, you side-step the clutch with a stab on the go-pedal in an old no-nannies car like the fox and every ounce of power that engine is producing at that moment gets delivered to the tires, and when there's wheelspin, nothing is detecting it, nothing is dialled back, and that's a visceral and very different experience. That's what makes them a handful. The rear starts to come around? Nothing is there to try and correct that, either you do it, or you spin out.
As much as I appreciate the technology, I do love the experience of wrangling horsepower that is unrestrained. It may not be as fast, but it is good fun.

Exactly. Mine had a tko500 and 4.10s, and was swapped to carburetor. It was unruly as all getout on 245 series Cooper Cobras, and I drove that hoker in the rain, to boot, lol!. My near 600hp ev is way more controlled.

Exactly. Mine had a tko500 and 4.10s, and was swapped to carburetor. It was unruly as all getout on 245 series Cooper Cobras, and I drove that hoker in the rain, to boot, lol!. My near 600hp ev is way more controlled.
Mine was so squirrelly too. Had a 90 GT, T-5, 3.73s, Vortech A-trim, and long tubes. Made 348hp/366tq to the wheels which in the late 90s/early 00s was still quite a bit.What a fun car but I’m lucky I never got hurt in it.

I used student loan money to buy the supercharger. I’d work on the install a bit each day when my mom went to work when I was home for the summer. What an idiot I was.

This is why so many auto journalists were bummed when Audi took over Lamborghini. It used to be that you had to be good at driving to really get anything out of your Lamborghini. Audi in a sense made it easy to waltz in to a dealership plunk down $295,000 and drive out with a vehicle that years earlier took real skill to handle.

Back