New look for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year!
grin2.gif
I wasn't really happy with the way my Grand Marquis looked. I'm going to be doing a Marauder conversion in a year's time, but wanted something that looked respectable in the mean time. The bumpers were chipped, thanks to the careful drivers at every parking lot I've been to, my left rear door was dented and the previous owner had the left front fender and driver's door painted a different shade of green.

The car spent a week at the paint shop. Both front and rear bumpers were painted, along with both front fenders, driver's door, left rear door and fender. The pinstipes were removed, as the previous owner used stick ons that didn't align properly and the painted ones were kind of fading. The grille was also painted. A new set of headlights were also installed, and clearcoated prior to installation. Here are some pictures I wanted to share:

Car being stripped down:

409566_10151095843850355_890020354_22307431_554969072_n.jpg

The hood with a fresh coat of primer:

img_0569.jpg

Front bumper off the vehicle:

img_0570.jpg

Left rear door repaired:

img_0567.jpg

I did what's called "the bumper tuck mod", which basically means pulling the bumper slightly inwards at the center and securing it, so that it doesn't flap on the highway. I asked if the rear bumper could be painted on the vehicle, as opposed to removing it like the front:

img_0568.jpg

The grille:

img_0583.jpg

And we're done:

img_0599.jpg

Will post some more pictures once the weather clears up. Nice and dusty today.
sick.gif

Job well done! I've followed your past post on your car, and enjoyed this one. I like how the job is being done correctly - sll the masking underhood and all. Most shops skimp on these important tasks and you get a messy paint job with overspray all over the car. The results speak for themselves - good looking car and an awesome color!

Thanks for the kind words!
cool.gif
Sorry about the issue with the pictures not showing up, SuperMotors must have been having problems.
blush.gif

Here's what the car looked like when I first got it:

dsc00076.jpg

Notice is misaligned driver's door trim and the bumper tucked in on the sides:

dsc00077.jpg

dsc00019.jpg

Then I started having some problems with the paint, because the previous owner did a lousy job - namely paint chips on the bumpers and head panels. It got to the point where you could literally peel the paint off like the shell off a boiled egg.

Finally started blacking out. This:

dsc00116.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Turned into this:

001.jpg

dsc00181a.jpg

dsc00184a.jpg

dsc00178a.jpg

The Teardrop aluminum wheels were also leaking air and had to be repaired. Mercury Marauder wheels will go on the car with spacers once the conversion is complete, so I picked up a set of four steelies for $80 with Mercury Mountaineer center caps, and mounted new Goodyears:

001.jpg

002.jpg

(Before the blacking out):
dsc001a.jpg

dsc001d.jpg

The car looks essentially the same now, minus the grille with the body color surround and black center, but with a paint jobs that's worlds better than what it was when I got it.
thumbsup2.gif

Car looks awesome..You definitely found an awesome paint shop..I really like the Marauder wheels..Looks like most of your neighbors own Panthers or at least full size sedans..I do not see any puddle jumpers in your neck of the woods.

*expletive* AWESOME!.
You know, I was looking into doing a Marauder convert on my front end, since I trashed my front bumper and header panel. I went, "Heck, opportunity to improve it!" Well I looked up a MM bumper cover from Ford and they want $1500 for it. That plan went out the window.

Thanks for the kind words.
cool.gif

Colt, yes Marauder parts are expensive. I've been quoted $1,370 for the front bumper and $1,010 for the rear alone!! But I'm still determined to go for it.
shocked.gif

Here are some fresh pictures:

img_0669.jpg

img_0670.jpg

img_0671.jpg

img_0674.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back