New Ford Ranger Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear the chassis tuning is good. That wasn't always a strong point on the old ones.

Looks a little bland/generic, but at least it is not offensively ugly, especially by modern truck standards. Those wheels look more fitting for a Focus or something though.

I wish you could get an interior configuration other than full length console with a floor shifter in a small truck anymore. I know it's kind of the standard layout in everything now, but in a vehicle where interior space is at a premium already, a column shifter, foot operated parking brake, and more space efficient console/armrest would be a nice option.

I'm glad they brought the Ranger back. The only thing that would concern me is the reliability of it, being it is a Ford. Especially the transmission.

Originally Posted by buster
I'm glad they brought the Ranger back. The only thing that would concern me is the reliability of it, being it is a Ford. Especially the transmission.
Available manual transmission.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Available manual transmission.
laugh.gif

Nope.

You might be thinking of the Colorado, which only has it available in the most stripped down I4 2WD models.

Stupid vehicle. Stupid-big, stupid-tall,stupid-expensive, stupid-small bed. It's 90% the price of a fullsize truck, uses 90% the fuel...and half as capable. Stupid vehicle.

You may think that, but they will likely sell like hotcakes... Can't even begin to count how many people I know who are already looking at one.

That being said, the ones on dealer lots right now are the SAME price out the door as my 2016 F150 XLT Supercrew was. And gets 1 mpg better... Same as it always was with small/midsize trucks.

Cool write up and pics! Thanks for taking the time for that dish!

A nice looking vehicle for sure and like said, it will sell like crazy, but WOW on that price. Maybe they will be bargains once they're a year or 3 old.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
There's one at the dealer down the road with $42,000 written across the windshield. I think I'll keep my hoopties a while.
lol.gif

Yeah I would rather a F-150 instead. More room, no stupid oil filter location, proven durability, more power.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Yeah I would rather a F-150 instead. More room, no stupid oil filter location, proven durability, more power.

You sure about that? Have a Google at "Ford F-150 oil change mess."

Originally Posted by Danno
Only problem I see is that the radio is tuned to the wrong channel, other than that , looks good!
92 for the Masters....
What were you thinking?

I like news/talk in the morning. Howard Stern, Progress or MSNBC and then in the afternoon I move over to the rock stations - Lithium, Octane and Alt Nation.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by StevieC

You sure about that? Have a Google at "Ford F-150 oil change mess."

I'm guessing he's never done an oil change on either a current ranger or F150. Doing an oil change on my 2016 F150 (current body style) requires the removal of a large panel to access the oil drain... with several bolts holding it on. Oh the horror...

The internet mechanics jumped on the ranger before anyone had ever done a change to begin with, and shocking nobody, got the story wrong out of the gate... And folks can't seem to let go of it.

Last edited:
For us who have been working on the Ranger for years, the drama about the oil change, which none have done, is hilarious.

Originally Posted by Silk
For us who have been working on the Ranger for years, the drama about the oil change, which none have done, is hilarious.

This Ranger was just released. It has a different oil filter setup than the older Rangers.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Silk

This Ranger was just released. It has a different oil filter setup than the older Rangers.

Just released in North America. It's the Australian version, which has been in production since 2011.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I see. Thanks.

No problem
smile.gif

I assume being next to Oz, that Silk has probably been seeing them since they began production, which likely explains his amusement.

We only get the 5 cyl diesel, but the oil filter is in the same place. I did an oil change on one last week, and the little floppy shield was gone...I did the last service, I wonder what happened to it ?

Originally Posted by buster
The only thing that would concern me is the reliability of it, being it is a Ford.

The Ranger sold here, like the other Japanese utes, is made in Thailand, and like everything made there, seem pretty bullet proof. Your results may differ if not sourced from Thailand. We had a Ranger in the other day, pretty high kms and treated rough, I was talking to the mechanic working on it, and we both remarked we had never done anything on a Ranger (or BT50) other than servicing, so the reliability seems to be there....for us.

The past US models have typically been reliable too...see my signature (the Explorer in my signature is mechanically a US Ranger). I assume buster was just doing a bit of trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back