new fan clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2001 dakota 3.9 auto 4.1 rear trac-lok. the fan clutch started making noise at high RPM only, it got loud, so i took it to the shop. 1.5 hr and $155.xx latter all was right with the world. the new clutch seems to spin the fan more. next week a new starter and battery, old one has been in the truck for 4 years. i dont have a garage to take care of a cold morning no start, so i trade out starter and battery every 4 years. hasnt failed yet.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Its a Chrysler. IT WILL .....

I'm on 13 years on my starter. 8 on the battery...when should I expect this?

A new Battery when you need one, is reasonable.

My battery dates back to 2000, when I need a new one, I'll get one.

I've never been one for proactively replacing major parts like that. Filters and fluids sure.. but starters? Even batteries I usually wait until they're dead, or good signs of needing replacement.

But hey, I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money.

i have no choice as i dont have a shop next to my truck if it fails. iam not used to not haveing a shop next to my truck. so i think going over board is what i have to do. yes i have laid in the snow fixing all sorts of things. but my body wont do that any more.

Originally Posted By: morris
i have no choice as i dont have a shop next to my truck if it fails. iam not used to not haveing a shop next to my truck. so i think going over board is what i have to do. yes i have laid in the snow fixing all sorts of things. but my body wont do that any more.

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but there are a lot of other things that can fail on you.
Why stop at the starter?

^^^Exactly. Dozens of other failure points are just waiting to quit on you at all times!

I'm all for proactive maintenance, but this seems a bit out there.

But the fact remains it is your truck and you get to replace whatever you want on it!

true lots of unplanned failures can happen.. my idea is that 90% of the failures dont strand you, just my idea. so if i can get it started i can get to the shop. the shop is 4 blocks away. but the batt and starter i can guess about how long they will last. and replace them before they fail. like i said i cant have a no start failure. i need to be able to get to my mom, she is 84 years. thanks for your ideas, you cats are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back