New Driving Distraction

Or at least new to me. This is ridiculous...

Followed this for several miles, saw this bright color changing thing ahead, and then I finally caught up with it. A rolling, 3 sided electric billboard and a very bright one at that. It changes messages ever 10 seconds or so and at least one of the messages appeared to have moving graphics. I thought it would be incredibly distracting...but I may just be getting old and grumpy. Just strikes me as a bad idea.

Bad focus, the iphone seems to fixate on the tiny windscreen defrost wires.

rollingad.jpg

I would say it’s probably illegal, if it isn’t it soon will be. I say that because when a red light appears on the back of a vehicle it means the vehicle is stopping. With everything going on with that sign it’s a major distraction and impossible to the eye to pick up on that right away.
I’ll make a prediction and say no we will not be allowed in the future. Not only that but what a perfect excuse as an insurance liability if the truck is in an accident.

Ahhhh …. Yes, lighting on motor vehicles on public highways must be DOT approved.

Wing&Wheels DD is a Rover! Might it be the Rover?

Not the best idea. Often drivers become fixated on pretty lights. Seems over the top.

It's a Range Rover P400. I like the dash, except for the small typeface....hello progressive lenses.

I expect this rolling scoreboard thing will get squashed..I was thinking the same about the colors; this thing had reds and yellows all over it not to mention blue. At distance I thought it was police, but then the blue changed.

Last edited:
It's a Range Rover P400. I like the dash, except for the small typeface....hello progressive lenses.

I expect this rolling scoreboard thing will get squashed..I was thinking the same about the colors; this thing had reds and yellows all over it not to mention blue. At distance I thought it was police, but then the blue changed.
With all the new LCDs as instrument clusters and seeing how they come from a handful of companies(Denso, Conti, Fareucia, Yazaki, Hyundai Mobis, Nippon Seiki or even Asus/Pegatron or Foxconn), the UX/UI would let the driver set text size and other accessibility features if they use a common programming framework. It’s all HTML/JavaScript or the GUI engines in Linux(probably Qt) driving those.

I see Firefly LED ad boards on taxis and Ubers recently. It’s cheaper for advertisers - no need to print ads on Mylar or vinyl for cab toppers. As soon as flexible OLED is cheaper(like the stuff the Samsung Galaxy Fold/Z Flip, Lenovo/Motorola new RAZR and the new LG Signature rollable OLED TV is using) or if the bus destination sign makers get their hands on mini-LED tech, buses will have real-time video ads.

Oddly enough, when public transit switched away from the flip-dot or roll curtain destination sign systems, they were the first to use LED displays(Luminator Horizon and TwinVision Amber LED/Chroma) which also saw a port to roadway signs and stadium video boards to replace the light bulbs or CRT tubes they used. So that video display on the truck is relayed to the Daktronics/Sony LED video boards used in sports stadiums and the full-color LED signs on buses and trains.

Last edited:
I miss the ratatatatat sound from the old commuter rail arrival/departure boards...about all I miss from the commute
The local ferry depot here put one of those up for a little touch of nostalgia.

The DLP chip used in many projectors and when they still made them, rear-projection HDTVs was basically the same flip-dot tech used for bus signs. Just on a nano scale.

In the Tampa area, a strip club had a airport shuttle bus advertising the business with ladies dancing inside (with clothes on) when the bus stopped at a red light.

I went from LE in New England and blue lights for cops to NY in 2000 and at that time it was all RED! I'm not a fireman! I choose a gun not a pillow!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I would say it’s probably illegal, if it isn’t it soon will be. I say that because when a red light appears on the back of a vehicle it means the vehicle is stopping. With everything going on with that sign it’s a major distraction and impossible to the eye to pick up on that right away.
I’ll make a prediction and say no we will not be allowed in the future. Not only that but what a perfect excuse as an insurance liability if the truck is in an accident.

Ahhhh …. Yes, lighting on motor vehicles on public highways must be DOT approved.
Unfortunately I have seen these in many states. I think they are allowed as long as the graphics aren't moving, same as the LED highway billboards.

Back