New (Demo) 2017 Sonata Sport 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just changed it with Valvoline SynPower 5W-20 and an XG9688 filter. "peace of mind"

Thank you all for the feedback.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
those motors take conventional oil? thats cool.

Yes, SM/ILSAC GF-4 is all that's needed.

If you plan to keep the new car long , I recommend going with M1 10W30 : Vey low NOACK better to prevent GDI intake valve deposits, better to prevent GDI fuel dilution , less additives which GDI engines can be finicky with , low calcium level to prevent LSPI and surprisingly it is slightly thinner at 100 C. than is M1 5W30 . *I think M1 10W30 in a in a climate that never goes below zero may be the best off the shelf oil you can buy for a Hyundai / Kia GDI engine .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
If you plan to keep the new car long , I recommend going with M1 10W30 : Vey low NOACK better to prevent GDI intake valve deposits, better to prevent GDI fuel dilution , less additives which GDI engines can be finicky with , low calcium level to prevent LSPI and surprisingly it is slightly thinner at 100 C. than is M1 5W30 . *I think M1 10W30 in a in a climate that never goes below zero may be the best off the shelf oil you can buy for a Hyundai / Kia GDI engine .

Thanks ChrisD46.
The VSP 5W20 shows a NOAK of 10% on their PDS. I don't have any Calcium (LSPI) concerns because this is just GDI and not T-GDI. It also isn't a small displacement 4cyl, rather a large 2.4. I run only Top Tier fuels so deposits don't concern me much either. Now, all the points you made DO translate to my wife's Santa Fe Sport 2.0Turbo although there's been no history of LSPI issues with this engine either. We're running Mobil1 0W-30 in that but also use Mobil1 10W-30 and others.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why do 0W20s always show to be "slightly" thicker @100cst than 5W20s?

I've often wondered the same.

^^^ good stout oil
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why do 0W20s always show to be "slightly" thicker @100cst than 5W20s?

I've often wondered the same.

My assumption is more VII to keep it "in grade".

It seems like Hyundais aren't picky on oil, I'd pick one that makes the motor happy and an OEM filter to keep the engine from chattering on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back