New Chinesium SUV hits Oz....

Status
Not open for further replies.
watching Velocity channel on cars being built, it shows how little labor is used with the sophisticated machinery + robots doing most of the work. that is where the cost is today as that equipment costs big $$$!! todays trucks are way overpriced IMO!!!! i would not buy a Diesel or 4 door model + gotta have a manual tranny for sure, no interest here!!! the jeep pickups due next year do interest me, i like trucks not todays tanks, but will prolly be too $$$$ to buy new!!! my current 08 colorado LS is serving me well, 4 cyl 5spd man 2 door standard cab + crank windows, thats me, $14,000 in 09 with 12,000 on it virtually new!!! don't need or want all the xtra junk that runs up the $$$$$

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
If it came here with a manual, I'd buy it ...

Keeping with your sig line?
crazy.gif

There's just too many other good choices before buying a Chinese auto. IMHO of course.

I just want a manual transmission truck.

You can buy a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, or a Ram HD with a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: benjy
watching Velocity channel on cars being built, it shows how little labor is used with the sophisticated machinery + robots doing most of the work. that is where the cost is today as that equipment costs big $$$!!
This thread is about Chinese manufacture. Do you know if the robots are used as extensively in a country with $1.50/hour labor readily available? It could also depend on the skill & culture over there too, but those skills (for example, to paint the vehicles robotically vs. using a person) can be taught.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
There's a video with their production line. Not as barbaric as the comments here infer. http://www.saicmotor.com/chinese/xwzx/jcspj/index.shtml
Barbaric? I was asking a question about robots vs. humans doing handwork. Do you consider the fact I pointed out that they make $1.50/hour to be "barbaric"? Or lack of health insurance? Or long hours? Not sure what you're getting at.
Also, beware of Chinese propoganda videos from the manufacturer, which shows a very tiny, limited view into their factories. Mostly the same shot at the same ceiling robots they use. Paint? Welding? Not shown.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
There's a video with their production line. Not as barbaric as the comments here infer. http://www.saicmotor.com/chinese/xwzx/jcspj/index.shtml
Barbaric? I was asking a question about robots vs. humans doing handwork. Do you consider the fact I pointed out that they make $1.50/hour to be "barbaric"? Or lack of health insurance? Or long hours? Not sure what you're getting at.
Also, beware of Chinese propoganda videos from the manufacturer, which shows a very tiny, limited view into their factories. Mostly the same shot at the same ceiling robots they use. Paint? Welding? Not shown.

Universal healthcare in China, no need for health insurance unless you want private coverage.

Universal healthcare in China, no need for health insurance unless you want private coverage.

Maybe we can learn from them.

If these vehicles ever become available in the US, I won't be one of the first to buy them but if after a few years others have good experiences, I would try them if they're cost effective. A lot of things said about Chinese products in this thread were also said about Japanese cars in the 70s-80s, and about Korean vehicles in the 90s-00s.

I think the truck looks pretty good.

If it came here with a manual, I'd buy it ...

The one in the lot was a speed

A few courier drivers in my area are using LDV vans. One I spoke to the other day said it was an OK thing to drive, and waaay less expensive than the equivalent VW, Mercedes, Ford, Renault, Fiat or Iveco van. He also said that he just drives his work vehicles into the ground anyway, so why pay tens of thousands of extra dollars upfront for a vehicle that will be worth nothing in 5 years, regardless of the badge on it...I really couldn't disagree!

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
If these vehicles ever become available in the US, I won't be one of the first to buy them but if after a few years others have good experiences, I would try them if they're cost effective. A lot of things said about Chinese products in this thread were also said about Japanese cars in the 70s-80s, and about Korean vehicles in the 90s-00s.

I think the truck looks pretty good.

Exactly. The inevitable is that there will be Chinese branded vehicles on American roads-and they will be accepted-especially at a price point It just a matter of when.

The LDV vans have been here for awhile...and I think I saw one of the utes the other day. Badges are all over the show these days, and by the time I clicked it was the LDV badge on a ute I was long gone. The Chinese utes aren't that bad, you hear horror stories online, but in the real world they seem to be ok. I service some Great Walls, and seem a good vehicle. The V240 uses the same engine as in our workshop Triton, gutless compared to a diesel, but for just a hack they do the job.

I agree CKN. I bet you are going to be right about that.

Universal care for over a billion people... What a joke... Guaranteed the "rich" people there buy real health care. And are FAR better off because they can afford to do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpb
A few courier drivers in my area are using LDV vans. One I spoke to the other day said it was an OK thing to drive, and waaay less expensive than the equivalent VW, Mercedes, Ford, Renault, Fiat or Iveco van. He also said that he just drives his work vehicles into the ground anyway, so why pay tens of thousands of extra dollars upfront for a vehicle that will be worth nothing in 5 years, regardless of the badge on it...I really couldn't disagree!

It's funny around here with the 4WDers...

Spend $60k on a hilux, and then another $15 "equipping it" to go off road.

The Great Wallers buy them and bash them

$1.5 an hour sounds like a number you made up on the spot. China also doesn't have the cheapest labour. If it was only about the cheapest labour GM would be making cars in Myanmar and Bangladesh.

I think your view that Chinese cars are hand-made in a sweat shop is absurd.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Exactly. The inevitable is that there will be Chinese branded vehicles on American roads-and they will be accepted-especially at a price point It just a matter of when.

Agreed. Look how popular a lot of the Hyundai and Kia cars and SUVs are becoming. Name brands are meaning less and less to people when the name brands start treating their customers poorly, and those customers can essentially get the same thing for less money.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Agreed. Look how popular a lot of the Hyundai and Kia cars and SUVs are becoming. Name brands are meaning less and less to people when the name brands start treating their customers poorly, and those customers can essentially get the same thing for less money.

Just bought my wife a brand new a Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited. It was $31,000.00 plus tax - (Stickered at $38,000.00) and thousands less than an Highlander or Pilot-with comparable equipment.

It currently has almost 9,000 miles on it. We just completed a trip from Utah to Monument Valley-to Santa Fe, New Mexico, on to the Grand Canyon and to Saint George Utah and back to the Salt Lake area. The vehicle performed real well-and I CAN'T FIND ANY "BUGS" to have fixed under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Just bought my wife a brand new a Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited. It was $31,000.00 plus tax - (Stickered at $38,000.00) and thousands less than an Highlander or Pilot-with comparable equipment.

It currently has almost 9,000 miles on it. We just completed a trip from Utah to Monument Valley-to Santa Fe, New Mexico, on to the Grand Canyon and to Saint George Utah and back to the Salt Lake area. The vehicle performed real well-and I CAN'T FIND ANY "BUGS" to have fixed under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Friend of mine loved his old Pilot and wanted to replace it with another one, but just couldn't bear to pay for a new or lightly used one with two kids on college coming up.
He bought a Sante Fe for a price he could bear and loves it, I guess only time will tell if it gives him the same level of service he got from the Pilot...that thing gave him a lot of miles with indifferent maintenance and no major problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back