New car what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Make sure that when you do change the oil that you use a FRAM filter.

I bet he'll find a Mann, Bosch, Mahle, or Hengst at half the price of a Fram. I did for my Audi.

Germans like and expect people to follow directions...use whatever oil Audi calls for with an OE filter.

For starters your old MB was NA, while the Audi is boosted, and knowing VW the engine compartment is tight, which means heat. They spec what they spec for a reason.

Remember this is the same company where people were munching cams for not using oil that meets VW specs in there Jetta's...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven

Bill, even though the car has the 3.0T moniker it is not turbo charged but supercharged.

I understand the importance of following the manual for fluid changes because of warranty reasons and giving AoA a reason to void my warranty. If I ever had issues with the engine I doubt they would be able to pin it to the motor oil as I am using some of the best motor oils produced at the moment.

Thanks for the education that its not a turbo but I'll still stick with following the manual with ANY force fed engine.

No such thing as "best" as far as oils are considered (and yes I do mean that) but there are things called specs that MFG can and will hang their hat on *IF* something goes wrong.

I'll bet that a supercharged engine costs quite a bit. While I doubt any thing will go wrong I'd still want to have everything done to the letter "just in case".

Been there done that as far as MFG asking for documentation on oil changes for warranty work. And YES they did check to make sure I used what was recommended.

Nice having a super-charged motor!
20.gif

Take care, Bill

Of the two listed, id go for the Redline.

That said, I will say, even though you don't want to hear it, I would stick with oils that MEET the VW spec called for by your Audi.

0w40 Mobil 1 is a great choice to look for when shopping next time. . . .

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Well, first off, congratulations on the new car!

Besides echoing what others have said about the use of a specified oil to preserve warranty (VW 502.00, unless something has changed), you may want to leave the factory fill in for the full recommended interval. From hanging out at the various VW fora, some VAG owners who change the factory fill early occasionally report higher than average consumption rates thereafter. After the first change, you can change it as early as you like.

All the best with your new ride.

Volvohead, thanks for the heads up on this. I am usually a "get the FF out ASAP" guy but I intend to keep the FF in this car till 5000 miles until its first "FREE" maintenance. After all the replies I might just have the Audi dealership put in whatever oil(guessing Castrol 5w40)they use. Its free!
Originally Posted By: Garak

I bet he'll find a Mann, Bosch, Mahle, or Hengst at half the price of a Fram. I did for my Audi.

+1. I'd probably use Hengst or Mahle if I can find one. I am not too sold on the Mann filter just yet.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
get an oil that meets the spec's or get the stealer to do the oil changes most of them are priced so you dont go other places...Dont take any chances that engine is expensive we just did an audi that the customer went through water and it cost a lot just in parts..

I think I might just let the dealer do the free 5000 mile oil change for now and worry about RP or RL at 10,000 miles. Thanks.

Well, first off, congratulations on the new car!

Besides echoing what others have said about the use of a specified oil to preserve warranty (VW 502.00, unless something has changed), you may want to leave the factory fill in for the full recommended interval. From hanging out at the various VW fora, some VAG owners who change the factory fill early occasionally report higher than average consumption rates thereafter. After the first change, you can change it as early as you like.

All the best with your new ride.

Volvohead, thanks for the heads up on this. I am usually a "get the FF out ASAP" guy but I intend to keep the FF in this car till 5000 miles until its first "FREE" maintenance. After all the replies I might just have the Audi dealership put in whatever oil(guessing Castrol 5w40)they use. Its free!
Originally Posted By: Garak

+1. I'd probably use Hengst or Mahle if I can find one. I am not too sold on the Mann filter just yet.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
get an oil that meets the spec's or get the stealer to do the oil changes most of them are priced so you dont go other places...Dont take any chances that engine is expensive we just did an audi that the customer went through water and it cost a lot just in parts..

I think I might just let the dealer do the free 5000 mile oil change for now and worry about RP or RL at 10,000 miles. Thanks.

How many free oil changes do you get? I'd suggest you just use them. Once your warranty is up, you could go to your RL or RP if you *have* to.

With a Mercedes, the Mann filter is OEM, but maybe it is different with Audi. Often times, some of the other fancy brands like you mentioned are just as much if not more expensive than OEM (because sometimes those types of brands you mentioned are OEM just not labeled as such). The thing is, I know, that the OEM one can be more of a pain to go buy.

Again though enjoy the car! Hope we didn't all sound too negative.

Last edited:

Up here, I was able to get any of the German brands through Worldpac for far cheaper than anything anywhere else. Since then, though, Partsource (Canadian Tire's sister store) started selling Manns at a similar price. Wix for the Audi was close to $10 (with my discount), while the German ones (all labelled as manufactured in Germany, too) were all under $5. It wasn't a hard decision.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
How many free oil changes do you get? I'd suggest you just use them. Once your warranty is up, you could go to your RL or RP if you *have* to.

With a Mercedes, the Mann filter is OEM, but maybe it is different with Audi. Often times, some of the other fancy brands like you mentioned are just as much if not more expensive than OEM (because sometimes those types of brands you mentioned are OEM just not labeled as such). The thing is, I know, that the OEM one can be more of a pain to go buy.

Again though enjoy the car! Hope we didn't all sound too negative.

Just one courtesy free oil change at 5000 miles. Mann is also the OEM filter for Audi but it sure is different than the Mercedes OEM Mann filter. The Mercedes one is a fleece oil filter and looks very well made. The Audi Mann filter leaves a lot to be desired. It looks and feels cheap and definitely not the $10 that it demands. I still haven't researched other brands for this car so I can't say what their price point is but they are definitely hard to come by. I sure plan to enjoy this car just a little bit. Thanks!

The fleece filters are typically specified for extended changes. For many later model MBs, a fleece element is required for intervals at or exceeding 10,000 miles. The OEM is a fleece to accommodate these longer intervals.

If your Audi only specifies a 5,000 mile OCI, a standard paper element is perfectly effective.

The fleece filters are typically specified for extended changes. For many later model MBs, a fleece element is required for intervals at or exceeding 10,000 miles. The OEM is a fleece to accommodate these longer intervals.

If your Audi only specifies a 5,000 mile OCI, a standard paper element is perfectly effective.

Volvohead, unfortunately after the complimentary 5000 mile OC and check-up the intervals are 10,000 miles as well with the Audi.

Call the service center at the dealer that sold you the car and ask them what oil they are using.

A good chance will be that they are using a fleet oil.

I had a discussion with service manager of Holden (GM here in Aus) and although the GM L77 says its spec'd for 10w-30 they use a fleet 10w-40 oil in all oil changes. Few people on LS1 forums here in reported a range of xw30 to xw50 (Various major brands) beings used by various Holden service centers around Aus. I know Holden is not Audi but give then a call and talk to the service manager.

Anyways I am running 5w-60 in my L77 V8, like 99% of members on the LS1 forum and all have reported improvement in these engines, with no down sides.

Let us know what the service center says if you call them.

Originally Posted By: CIRHS
Call the service center at the dealer that sold you the car and ask them what oil they are using.

I had a discussion with service manager of Holden (GM here in Aus) and although the GM L77 says its spec'd for 10w-30 they use a fleet 10w-40 oil in all oil changes. Few people on LS1 forums here in reported a range of xw30 to xw50 (Various major brands) beings used by various Holden service centers around Aus. I know Holden is not Audi but give then a call and talk to the service manager.

Anyways I am running 5w-60 in my L77 V8, like 99% of members on the LS1 forum and all have reported improvement in these engines, with no down sides.

Called two places today.

1)Audi of Westwood MA.(Formerly Prime Audi). Lady on the phone tells me they use Mobil 1 5w30. I told her that they are using the wrong spec oil as it does not meet VW 502.00 and she proceeds to tell me that this is not VW but Audi. The more I tried to explain to her the more frustrated she got. In the end she hung up on me. Aint taking my car there even though I bought it from them.

2)Audi of Warwick.(Formerly Inskip Audi). Very pleasant lady. She instantly told me they use Castrol Edge with Syntec 5w40. I'll probably take my car here. Inskip has always had great service centers. They suck at selling cars though.

Last edited:

1)Audi of Westwood MA.(Formerly Prime Audi). Lady on the phone tells me they use Mobil 1 5w30. I told her that they are using the wrong spec oil as it does not meet VW 502.00 and she proceeds to tell me that this is not VW but Audi. The more I tried to explain to her the more frustrated she got. In the end she hung up on me. Aint taking my car there even though I bought it from them.

Do other Audi owners a favor... call Audi USA corporate and let them know that this dealer is refusing to use the manufacturer accepted specification for their oil. This is NOT an option! If the oil is NOT on the approved specification list the dealer is violating their franchise agreement with Audi, not to mention possibly putting the car owners warranty in jeopardy!!!

Originally Posted By: CIRHS

Called two places today.

2)Audi of Warwick.(Formerly Inskip Audi). Very pleasant lady. She instantly told me they use Castrol Edge with Syntec 5w40. I'll probably take my car here. Inskip has always had great service centers. They suck at selling cars though.

haha what did I tell you. Its the same here in Aus they are all over the place and dealers know jack about oil.

Like I say me and 99% of LS1 Forum in aus Run xw-60 oil in these engines with all positive results. They run smoother, quiter, and have less wear particles on filter gram analysis.

Iver been running xw60 in my wifes XR6 Turbo (Ford Barra in-line 6 4lt xw30 spec), and my 929 fireblade. All still going strong. And fuel consumption is normal.

Anyways use what you want, I would love to see them prove that an SM/SN rated oil could caused an engine failure.

Very true, BUT it is best to check the owners handbook (The most under read book in history?) or the Audi site in Germany to see which oil and filters are fully approved by Audi if your car is under warranty.
If it is older, then the Castrol, Liqui Moly or Mobil 1 oil guides will list the recommended options:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do?categoryId=3240

The Castrol Edge 5/30 or 5/40 sound good, although I use Liqui Moly High Tech 5/40 Synthoil as a German car likes German oil and it's cheaper than Castrol Edge. Always use a real Audi oil filter if possible, if not try a Bosche or Mann that says made in Germany only.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'd ONLY follow the manual in ANY new vehicle. Part of the reason of buying new is the warranty.

Esp one with a turbo!!!

Why take *ANY* risk?

Glad to see other members with the same mindset! Gives me faith that some here still have it.
thumbsup2.gif

Bill, even though the car has the 3.0T moniker it is not turbo charged but supercharged.

I understand the importance of following the manual for fluid changes because of warranty reasons and giving AoA a reason to void my warranty. If I ever had issues with the engine I doubt they would be able to pin it to the motor oil as I am using some of the best motor oils produced at the moment.

I'd like to point out that to get specs like the VW Spec & Mercedes Spec, the oil companies even have to buy the additives from *specific* sources. It is very detailed to be able to get an OE spec.

While some of the requirements to get these approvals might be silly, the overall approval is not something to ignore. While I understand in your case, you are not trying to use some cheap dino oil, you never know what they might try to pull on you to void your warranty.

Do Audis not come with a few oil changes free? Mercedes don't, and I always thought BMW & Audi try to use that against Mercedes. (Edit, I guess Audi cut out the free program. Makes sense to me otherwise you're paying for it with MSRP).

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Do other Audi owners a favor... call Audi USA corporate and let them know that this dealer is refusing to use the manufacturer accepted specification for their oil. This is NOT an option! If the oil is NOT on the approved specification list the dealer is violating their franchise agreement with Audi, not to mention possibly putting the car owners warranty in jeopardy!!!

Well it seems like Audi USA doesn't give two hoots about what the dealer uses for motor oil. Talked to this nice gentleman about this concern and all he kept on telling me is how Mobil 1 5w30 is on the list. I went on to tell him that the only 5w30 on the list is their ESP formula. In the end he was not concerned at all and it made me think that he couldn't believe how much fuss I was making about something as tiny as motor oil.

He did say he would contact the dealership but I am not holding my breath for a positive outcome on this.
21.gif

Well it seems like Audi USA doesn't give two hoots about what the dealer uses for motor oil. Talked to this nice gentleman about this concern and all he kept on telling me is how Mobil 1 5w30 is on the list. I went on to tell him that the only 5w30 on the list is their ESP formula. In the end he was not concerned at all and it made me think that he couldn't believe how much fuss I was making about something as tiny as motor oil.

He did say he would contact the dealership but I am not holding my breath for a positive outcome on this.
21.gif

You probably called the "Audi Customer Care" toll free hotline?

That is really just a call center and the csr is just able to handle basic calls.

You actually need to call their corporate number
(248) 754-5100 and ask the operator to connect you with the technical and engineering department. These are the people that can actually do something with this situation.

The fact is that using the improper oil in these cars can cause engine problems like sludge build and also result in warranty issues.

In the end he was not concerned at all and it made me think that he couldn't believe how much fuss I was making about something as tiny as motor oil.

Good grief. If it wasn't a big deal, they wouldn't have bothered making specification in the first place, right?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back