New 2TB SSD - How to make primary??

I bought a new Samsung 2TB SSD (~$100)

My current 500GB Samsung is doing fine, not full but from 2016. (yeah a little older than I guessed when I posted my dead MB thread!!) If it dies, OoL.

So I would like to make the new larger one primary, make a perfect bootable image.

It's 2023 and I want to forget all the useless 1995 PC stuff stuck in my head (easy most is gone already hahahhaha)

Best PC forum ever!! (no judging)

You'll have to clone your old SSD over to your new SSD or install a fresh version of Windows on it if you want to start new.

I'd connect the new drive and start with a clean install of Windows. Any errors, corrupt files, or problems will be copied onto the new HDD doing it any other way.

You'll have to clone your old SSD over to your new SSD or install a fresh version of Windows on it if you want to start new.
I have no access to a fresh version on Win 10. I never got a CD or anything when I bought this PC in 2016.

My current C: is pretty clean.

I use macrim reflect free or acronis

Also it doesn't matter much but I'd use a nvme SSD for boot/primary instead of sata
Upto 5x faster

Just follow the prompts on Clonezilla. It's very easy to use and yes, you can run it from USB.
No installation is required.

I have no access to a fresh version on Win 10. I never got a CD or anything when I bought this PC in 2016.

My current C: is pretty clean.
If the current C drive is pretty clean cloning is OK. This might help someone with Windows issues on the old drive. If the PC came with Win 10 you'll have no problem, unless MSFT recently changed something. Here's what I did. There is software you can download to find the Win 10 program key, I retrieved the key. I downloaded Win 10 from MSFT, made a bootable USB, then did a clean install of Win 10 onto a new SSD hard drive. It worked perfectly at least half a dozen times for me. I kept the old HDD in the event of a problem, worst case I would have cloned it onto the new SSD.

I have just finished using Clonezilla.
The one that works the easiest for me is downloading their ISO file and then copy that ISO file using dvd creator apps (google "ISO writer")
Run the dvd to boot and create the clone.
It is not easy because it is Unix based.

The easier way is Macrium or Easeus.
I don't think they are free anymore but you can buy like 1 mo subscription for cheap.
Use it once and you are done.
They are easier to use.

Back