Network help - solved but odd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I bet the double NAT'ing that's been going on in my setup might be responsible for some of the streaming glitches with SlingTV, too. Thanks again for this tip , it may eliminate some of the skips and glitches with Sling.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Hey I bet the double NAT'ing that's been going on in my setup might be responsible for some of the streaming glitches with SlingTV, too. Thanks again for this tip , it may eliminate some of the skips and glitches with Sling.
cool.gif

Yes, that may indeed be a key component to that issue
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
cool.gif

Yes, that may indeed be a key component to that issue
thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I got it going in Bridge Mode!! Had to do a few other things to get it working but it's bridged now and internet seems a metric ton faster. Thank you sir.
08.gif
34.gif

For some weird reason when I enable the firewall in my Cisco wireless router, I loose every one of the IP's that the Cisco grabbed from my ISP, they all zero out and of course no internet. Turn the Cisco's firewall off and it picks them up again and the internet is back on. So what I did was turn the Arris DG860's firewall back on (had it off for the switch to Bridge Mode) and left the Cisco's firewall off.

Will the firewall in the Arris still protect my wireless network with the Arris in Bridge Mode and the Cisco going direct with my ISP?

No, I can't imagine the Arris firewall doing anything if it isn't doing NAT.

Do you have the latest firmware on the Cisco? Is it listed as the SPI firewall? Is it getting an externally routable IP now? I assume yes.

Do you have the latest firmware on the Cisco? Is it listed as the SPI firewall? Is it getting an externally routable IP now? I assume yes.

Yes, it is an SPI (Stately Packet Inspection?) type firewall in the Cisco. But think I solved it. Seems to have been because I had "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests" (ping blocking) checked. I unchecked that option in the Cisco firewall and it's working now. Somehow that was blocking the ISP ip's or something (?...)

Yes, it is an SPI (Stately Packet Inspection?) type firewall in the Cisco. But think I solved it. Seems to have been because I had "Filter Anonymous Internet Requests" (ping blocking) checked. I unchecked that option in the Cisco firewall and it's working now. Somehow that was blocking the ISP ip's or something (?...)

Possible. Make sure you have the latest firmware too though.

Turn everything firewall wise off on the arris, and set it up as the bridge.

The nat firewall should be turned on the router not the arris modem combo.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Turn everything firewall wise off on the arris, and set it up as the bridge.

The nat firewall should be turned on the router not the arris modem combo.

Agreed, though I don't think SPI would do anything (probably wouldn't even be active regardless of being turned on) with NAT out of the picture and the device acting as a bridge. Always good practice to keep the bridge config as simple as possible though.

Firewall in the Arris is now off, SPI firewall in the Cisco wireless router is now on, and... I was able to re-enable "Filter Anonymous Internet Request" (ping blocking and port hiding) and it's no longer interfering with data flow from the Arris, if in fact it was that first time time around.

Oh, BTW, connected up to my workstation at work from the home laptop (Cisco AnyConnect secure mobility client) to make sure the Cisco router's VPN Pass Through options were working. Much faster and crisp now.

OVERKILL your money's no good in this bar tonight, drinks are on me !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back