neighbors asking for money weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for girl scout cookies! I'll gladly hand over $20 for a crack-fix of Samoas.

That being said, I'm kind of glad I bought my house in the "less desirable" part of town. I've yet to have an issue, but you would have to be crazy to go around banging on random doors around here.

I put up a sign. Very specific, says "DO NOT KNOCK ON THIS DOOR UNLESS YOU LIKE DEALING WITH ANGRY HOMEOWNER. GO AWAY. I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING."

It mostly works, but I like to chew out the idiot standing there. I dont let them speak, I just berate them about how stupid they are until they leave.

Man,you guys are a tough crowd...

It's reasons like this my cub scout gets cussed out and the door slammed in his face (while trying to sell popcorn for the scouts). I for the most part know most of the neighbors on my street (yes, I actually took the time to know them), and are friendly with them. A few have kids, and I'm okay with buying or giving to a cause that I think would be worthy. It's part of life, and should not be that big of a deal unless your area has big problems or something...

While I can't control everything that comes to my door, I find a simple "no thank you" works just fine...

People wonder why kids need safe spaces and when they get jaded in the area they live in and never get to be social, whether it's good or bad.....

For the most part, I do not get too much stuff at my door anyways.

Last edited:
I was impressed with this year's Boy Scout fundraiser.

The boys and the dad's came around and passed out flyers to sell mulch to the neighborhood.

X amount per bag, and they would return to lay it for you.

We bought it, and a few weeks later I came home to the boys spreading the mulch while the dads drove a truck and trailer down the street.

It was really cool and taught those boys the value of a dollar, and work.

I had zero patience for the group of kids coming to my door today dressed from head to toe in Nike and Under Armor clothing telling me that I should just give them money directly.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Another thought -- if these kids would temporarily take on a paying job, like raking leaves in the neighborhood, for the time they spend asking for money, they could actually accomplish something of value for their neighbors and get the funding they're looking for. So next time they come around, hand them a rake and tell them they could work for the money.

They're too busy texting each other on their phones.

Easy enough to just say no thank you.

Knowing who is in the neighborhood is a two way street. I hate hearing that many of you don't know the neighborhood kids. When you know the kids, it makes knowing who has legitimate needs easier. And honestly, I remember all the people in my youth who helped me.

Coaches who volunteered their time. Referees who volunteered their time. Companies who sponsored leagues and teams. And yes, people who bought fundraising stuff that I sold.

Add on top of that the push to keep school budgets in check, which used to cover a lot of things boosters are know expected to cover, and is anyone surprised at having kids sell fundraisers?

Again, easy enough to just say no and leave it at that.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
My friend had this problem with certain religions. He answered the door in the nude and they never returned. When my daughter was in Cheer, I just bought whatever she sold, so she wouldn't have to go door to door. It's sad what these schools make kids do. ]

Respectfully,

Pajero!

LOL, when I knew that they (the religious groups) were door knocking, I'd answer in a towell...it started one day when I was mowing, and genuinely went to shower...knowing someone was home, the knocked, and knocked, and knocked...must have been so urgent that I HAD to answer the door for them.

As to sales stuff, if my kids will be judged for not "contributing" by selling stuff, we buy it. If it's chocolates, I'll take them to work write on the box what it's for, leave it out honesty style, and usually end up with an extra $15-$20 in the kitty.

Then take in 40 lb of home grown organic kiwi fruit, or lemons etc.

I commend the school kids who go door to door selling goods for their school. It teaches them about money,business,and how having a job works. I was in grade school in the 70s and kids did it back then too.

I've never had a kid ask me for so much for an athletic program that I cared about giving the money away. Couple of dollars here or there.

Much as I dislike getting random door knocks, I don't like the idea of hassling a kid. There's no way that kid is delighted at the idea of soliciting. I'm not going to contribute more stress.

I'm an American, so of course I buy girl scout cookies. One box is always guaranteed not to make it home. Usually the thin mints. They need to make them thicker so I can fit less in my mouth at one time.

The guys who come around offering tree services? I vehemently dislike those people. I don't need to be minding my own business in my front yard and have some total POS pickup truck hauling a garbage scow trailer rattle up to my house and have some moron yell at me in the worst English possible that he can grind my stump for $500.

The religious people don't bother me all that much. There's worse out there in the world.

Schools spend on everything but the students these days. Don't blame the kids for the contortions they put them through.

IMHO the problem with many of these fundraisers is that the actual school/group/ect.. only gets a small percentage of the proceeds of the product actually sold. Id rather give a few dollars and receive nothing IF all the proceeds went to the cause.

There is big money to be made for companies that are in the fundraising business and that's why its so in your face and out of control in some cases.

Follow the money trail...

My daughter "had" to raise $100/year in HS so the football and baseball teams got new uniforms every year while her team had the same ones for 4 years. We just paid the $100 and I would put the merchandise out at work to share with coworkers.
Now, her coach asks for names, not money...I preferred just giving the money.

Unfortunately some school districts have lots of highly paid lazy administrators that collect a paycheck and really add no value to the students.

No job cuts in school districts..... just raise taxes to fund these schools.

I do not buy the junk I just have them write a cash donation and give them some money.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Put a Ask Me & My Household About Becoming A Jehovah's Witnesses sign on your door.

"I'm so glad you stopped by. Have you been personally saved by Jesus?" Great question to ask.

or

a friend of mine sometimes answers his door with a gun in hand. It's legal in his jurisdiction.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like the bill for any extracurricular to go to the parents, and if the parents make the kids pick up a range or snowshovel, great. If not, oh well. If they can't work and can't afford to partake? Sorry. But I'm also 110% against athletic scholarships in college too...
Yes !!! I will give the neighbor kids $$ though if they ask for it. It develops their people skills.

Do the kids actually bring in enough money to warrant their door to door sales? Is it a serious amount of money that the school district can't allot for their activity? Or is it overreach by the coaches? Can't the district find that money for the kids through budgeting? I'm curious how much the kids' activities actually add to the school budget.

I get the sports kids come asking to buy a coupon book, I just tell them someone came earlier and bought one.

Have told some to come by on a Sunday and mow my lawn and I will give em 20$, but they look at you like me work?

I pay 5k a year taxes and the [censored] school wants the kids to beg? Not teaching them any work values!

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Have told some to come by on a Sunday and mow my lawn and I will give em 20$, but they look at you like me work?

Jeebus, I would mow that lawn for $20! I could buy a case of beer and two Big Macs afterwards.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back