negotiating bank fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JLTD
This day and age I wonder why people stay with banks that charge fees. There are any number of fee-free, no-balance-required checking accounts out there.

Interesting.
Got a couple examples?

Thank you

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: JLTD
This day and age I wonder why people stay with banks that charge fees. There are any number of fee-free, no-balance-required checking accounts out there.

Interesting.
Got a couple examples?

Thank you

No problem. Discover Bank (yes, Discover Card has a bank) and Charles Schwab. Both have free checks, free (and actually interest bearing) checking with no minimum balance required. Schwab refunds ATM fees at the end of the month, Discover may as well.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Once tried to negotiate down a 24.99% rate on a store credit card (Menard's). Was never late on a payment and have a good credit score. Was flat out told "no".

So, I cancelled it right there. It was nice to be able to buy supplies for bigger projects and charge it all on one card, and it tended to make returns easier... but not at that rate.

I wouldn't fight with BOA's of the world. Find a good credit union that you can join.

Just pay the cc off every month and don't worry about what the interest rate is?

Since the card issuer wanted to be rigid about it, I simply cancelled it. I handle it with another card now.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
They absolutely can waive the fee if you call them.

When we bought our house last year Chase hit us with a $35 wire transfer fee???

Even though I pay hundreds of bills online and quickpay people for free? You charge $35 for a wire transfer?

They reimbursed the fee with no haggling, I just asked.

If they refuse to credit the fee I would take my money and close the account in a new York minute.

while your point is basically true, I would like to point out wire transfers are a different situation. You should not expect a wire fee to be waived.
Even multimillion deals expect to see the $25 to $50 wire transfer fee on the statement.
Wire is not the same as billpay or ach or quickdeposit. It is an old school immediate transfer of money that requires human agents on both sides. It is a fee for a service. This is not the same as a penalty fee charged for your mistake.

The bank did this just to finish the deal and so you wouldn't fuss.
The fact that you said you eould close your account shows they were right that you were fussing. An analogy would be like a guy who quits a competant mechanic or autoshop because they no longer give a "free" carwash with each service.

No.
I was frustrated that they never mentioned they were going to charge me a fee.
I would have just brought cash.

$20k in a savings acct of theirs earning 0% for 8 yrs .... then they hit me with a fee? No

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back