Need tires in size 235/45-17, your opinion ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car '00 MB E430 will need 4 new tires in a few months. The car has 106k miles and so far has about 5-6 set of 235/40-17 tires. Most tires I had on the car did not lasted more than 20k miles, I'm tired of replacing $600-800 tires every 2-2.5 years.

In my search for replacement, I came up with these tires with tread life, traction and temperature rating:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 540 AA
HANKOOK VENTUS V4 ES 420 AA
NEXEN N5000 420 AA

I'm looking for: Long tread life, quiet ride and doesn't cost a bundle

Anybody have experience with one of these tires ? What is your opinion about these tires ? Which tire do you recommend ? The size must be 235/40-17 and speed rate is H or better.

Last edited:
Yokohama yk520 did well on my 99 300M
And I have Kumho Ecsta ASX on my Mazda 6 now and they're great but have a slightly soft sidewall

most ultra high performance tires do have less treadlife

add in the fact thats a pretty heavy car and.. I dont find it susprising you are getting short tread life.

I heard the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS are good, they reviewed them on tirerack.

tirerack also has the
BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S H&V 460AA A H-rated
for 110$ each right now
they are traction AA rated which is higher than those others
but only H speed rated

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport+A%2FS+H%26V&partnum=345HR7GFAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

also heard good things about
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 400 A A 94H

at least if they cost 500$ a set you wont feel as bad as if they cost 800$ right?

Last edited:
I'm going to sound crazy, but I like the Nexen idea.

Worst case, they aren't great, but you are out much less in the way of money...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The size must be 235/40-17

But your subject line says 235/45-17, so which one is it?

According to TireRack, the correct size for this car is 235/45-17.

No personal experience with the tires you listed, but I did like Yoko AVID H4S (500 treadwear rating), $102 each. Comfy yet grippy. Supposedly they don't handle snow very well, but it doesn't look like that would matter for your neck of the woods.

The correct size is 235/45-17 as in the subject line, my error.

I had Kumho Ecsta ASX on the car before and I wasn't impress with its handling/performance, also it was noisy the second half of its life.

My brother in-law has Yoko AVID H4S on his 1993 MB 500E, the tread is almost gone after less than 18k miles. He isn't impress with it for reason that the side-wall is soft, to improve handling he pump it up about 4-5 PSI above recommended pressure and the result is center wear-out faster than outsides.

Yes, Nexen N5000 is the cheapest of them all, only $62/ea plus tax at onlinetires.com. Continental ExtremeContact DWS is most expensive at $92 and HANKOOK VENTUS V4 ES is at middle at $88.

No, I don't think we need snow capability because we never have snow in So Cal, specially near the beach. We don't even see much rain here, less than 15 rainy days a year on average. It's just happen that all season tires are usually have longer tread life than summer tires, and a little lower noise.

Tirerack's owners reviews on Continental is very good, only 4 reviews on Hankook and 2 of them are not so good. I am leaning toward Continental ExtremeContact DWS, unless there are some bad reviews pop-up before I need to buy new tires in Spring.

My friend just got DWS in 245/45-17 for his A4. Up a full size from stock for the harsh roads. This is a tire for snowy areas, but may work fine if it wears well. The old version had modest wear at best.

Funny, the H4S is what I consider to be long-wearing and decent sidewalls. I would normally recommend it for you. With the hot pavement in SoCal, ou need to consider the wear factor.

I just got the BFG g-Force and they are awesome. XL load means stiff handling. Wear might be good. The price of them and the H4S makes them prime choices.

Eagle GT is another interesting tire for good handling and for wet.

Kumho LX Platinum is expensive, but good and wear at 600.

I would get the BFGs or Contis for $7 more is hard to ignore. The BFGs are normally a little more money though.

I have the Nexens in 225/45-17 on my 03 Saab Aero for about 6 mos/4K miles. I don't know about longevity but I was pleasantly surprised as to the ride characteristics. Being what I considered a private label brand I wasn't sure but my tire dealer suggested them and I am happy thus far. I don't know about how it will react in snow but I have 4 dedicated Gislaved snows which will go on next month.

I would give them a try.

You might also want to search reviews for onlinetires.com prior to ordering from them. They don't look good compared to others. "Price" isn't always everything.

onlinetires has warehouse about 20 minutes drive from my home, if I buy from them then I would go there to inspect the tires, pay for it and take it to WM for installation. Or try to get DTD to match their price, if I buy tires that DTD has in stock (DTD doesn't carry Nexen and doesn't have HANKOOK VENTUS V4 ES in stock)

HTSS_TR,

In my opinion I'd choose between the following:

1) Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
2) Bridestone Potenza G 019 Grid

Regards,
~Button

No personal experience. I know someone who has had the Nexens for almost 12K miles and reports they are wearing well. Their performance in snow is marginal, although I'm not sure if that's an issue since you are from So Cal.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My car '00 MB E430 will need 4 new tires in a few months. The car has 106k miles and so far has about 5-6 set of 235/40-17 tires. Most tires I had on the car did not lasted more than 20k miles, I'm tired of replacing $600-800 tires every 2-2.5 years.

In my search for replacement, I came up with these tires with tread life, traction and temperature rating:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 540 AA
HANKOOK VENTUS V4 ES 420 AA
NEXEN N5000 420 AA

I'm looking for: Long tread life, quiet ride and doesn't cost a bundle

Anybody have experience with one of these tires ? What is your opinion about these tires ? Which tire do you recommend ? The size must be 235/40-17 and speed rate is H or better.

My Lincoln takes 235/50 R17
I just got 4 new Sumitomos. There very well made. Great price. Handle real well in rain!
And last but not least, look real good on the car!

Yours are HERE

Last edited:
My friend has Nexen on his Lexus GS300. He had three blow outs with them in NYC due to the rough roads there.

I believe the construction of these tires is inferior and they can't take abuse of a heavy car and rough roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back