Need recommendation on a 10amp battery charger

What do you guys recommend for a decent battery charger? I've got a couple of low amp trickle-chargers, but I'm looking for something with more power to charge marine batteries faster, and the occasional dead auto battery. I'm thinking a 10amp charger like this:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You will find the 10 amp charger is only marginally faster if you truly want a 100% charge. That is if the batteries are not being drained while charging of course.

You will get the batteries up to 95-ish % charged faster but after that all chargers need the same time (hours)

if you are going to leave it overnight.. costco had the 4.5? amp battery tender for 29.99

My experience of current chargers is the noco 10 amp and the Ctek 4.3 amp. The noco is so conservative in its charge strategy that you’ll never get 10 amps out of it. I was quite disappointed with its real world performance. It took 24 hours to add a top-off charge to a healthy battery because it quickly moves to its lowest output mode. Being conservative, it’s the one I loan out to friends regularly.

the Ctek has a *much better* algorithm, but IMO is not as well built as the noco. It gets hot enough under full load that I put sheet metal between it and the plywood wall surface it’s mounted to; I don’t entirely trust it to not self-destruct one day and don’t want the flame-out of some small part against wood, if that tells you anything.

id go Ctek, or buy something cheaper and see how it works. If you do like the idea of the noco brand, the sweet spot is probably in the lower output units. I *do* like the quality of construction.

I’ve got a handful of different chargers, from NOCO 2s, a Battery Tender Jr and the 4.5A model mentioned, and also the Pro-Logix 2310. I also have a NOCO GB40.

TL;DR: the Pro-Logix has rejuvenated several batteries that were otherwise “dead”; my Subaru battery is an 8-yo Interstate that has registered below 11V at least 3 times due to disuse, and after using the GB40 to jump the car and get the voltage up some, the 2310 has gotten me at least an extra 3 years (and counting!) out of it. I’ve also used the 2310 on F&F batteries that had been jumped or charged with alternatives that didn’t last, and at least for me the dang thing is magic. Sure, eventually there will be a battery it can’t fix, but it’s charging/maintenance modes have been just what I need. It’s a really good value IMO.

I also bought this during the pandemic, 12/20, for $126 (things were cheap then). It's not as clean a setup as I cut some 10 gauge jumper cables to use along with it. I measured and it was delivering a clean 21 amps when I turned on rear defrost, headlamps, and fan blower motor. Voltage stayed at 13.6v, as amps went up, proving it does in fact regulate properly (it has to otherwise RV appliances would get fried)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ordered a Ctek 4.3 amp unit…
Huh?? You asked about 10A chargers, got several solid recommendations with anecdotes, and then order a unit that the only reference in this thread for the model you ordered had the user worrying it was going to catch on fire, and delivers less than half of the amperage you asked for, and is more expensive than the 10A unit that several users recommended? Why even bother asking? 🤦‍♂️

I have this unit. 5 years old and works well. like other smart chargers, fast to 95percent then a bit slow from there.
nice features for the price.
It should be slow especially at 95%. The electrochemical performance is logarithmic.

Personally I would never buy anything under an electronic 40 amp continuous unit with an engine start.

It’s about the only charger I’ve ever owned that has half a chance starting a vehicle or lawn tractor with a dead battery.

I combine its desulphator function with a 60’s era 2/6-6v/12v dumb charger to revive completely Doa batteries

Back