Need input on a CPO '15 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW I wouldn't buy a used rental car with 40K miles on it. God knows how that thing was abused. Spend a little more on the lower mileage car.

It would have to be a smokin' deal. Although, I used to work with a guy that would buy old Centuries and Malibus from Enterprise, and he used to brag about how good of luck he had and how he made money on the deal. He was in sales and had to have a car 5 model years old or newer to get reimbursed on the car allowance, so he'd have to dump them at the 5 year mark but they usually had 150-200k on them. He would do oil changes at a quick lube every 10k and nothing else that wasn't absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
He would do oil changes at a quick lube every 10k and nothing else that wasn't absolutely necessary.

With full synthetic and what about ATF changes?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dishdude
He would do oil changes at a quick lube every 10k and nothing else that wasn't absolutely necessary.

With full synthetic and what about ATF changes?

Of course not! He was the cheapest guy I've ever met and loved to tell anyone that would listen!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
how has the auto-stop feature on these held up?
Mine works fine at 37K. A lot of people complain about it all the time but once you get used to it you can make it turn off when you want or you just don't notice it anymore.

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
I've been looking on Car Gurus at the '15 Malibu and there are about 4 that's going for under 13k with mileage ranging from 19,xxx to 32,xxx, almost all of them were lease vehicles with clean "car checks." Gonna reach out to some of those dealers and see what happens. The chat here was great! Thank you all! Will update when possible.

ps: The look on the wifeypoo's face was so disheartening that I think I will purchase a'15 Malibu for her. I'm such a good hubby (I know, I toot my own horn, LOL)
laugh.gif

I would advise on not getting an ex-rental Malibu. My last shop i worked at we serviced hertz vehicles and i can say some of thoes guys were not putting the correct oil weight or not replacing some filters on rentals. Not all places are like that though. I admit when i had a few rentals when my malibu was in the shop i did beat the [censored] out of my rentals. You will love any 8th gen malibu (13-16 limited) i would suj a 14-16 limited. The face of the 14-16 limited look better and have a lil bit more leg room in the back and some 13's have a few bugs with the new body style.

Last edited:

That feature is new to the wife and I. On the test drive, the wife didn't even noticed it until I pointed it out. At stop lights, I was thinking, dang this engine is really smooth and quiet (which it is) then I looked at the speedometer and saw the needle was at the "start/stop" marker. That feature worked perfectly fine on the test drive and there was no hesitation whatsoever and I didn't even hear the engine start back up. Cool feature, I kinda liked it. I really liked that car, I'm considering upping my max offer to $13.5k OTD.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I would advise on not getting an ex-rental Malibu.

I concur. The ones I'm looking at are all off-lease vehicles, per carfax or autocheck. The one that is considering my $13k OTD offer (they are willing to add on the remote start, which is a requirement for the wife) is an off-lease bought at auction by the dealership. Only issue is, it's 85 miles away from me. This dealership is asking for a deposit if I, officially in writing, offer them $13k out the door pending a test drive and if everything checks out. Is it common for them to ask for a deposit or is this salesperson being shady? Here is the Autotrader post.
Do you mind me asking what your Malibu was in the shop for?

You will love any 8th gen malibu (13-16 limited) i would suj a 14-16 limited. The face of the 14-16 limited look better and have a lil bit more leg room in the back and some 13's have a few bugs with the new body style.

We really love the '15 style Malibu, especially the tail lights. It looks super sporty. The front and headlights look good too but I prefer the current Malibu's headlights. The main reason why I'm going with Chevy is because of it's super smooth ride. After 12 yrs of import sub compacts and their bumpy ride and as we get older and our bodies wear down, a super smooth riding vehicle is a must. I was looking at Buicks also but they are a bit more expensive and their styling isn't what we want.

Also considered the '17 Ford Edge but decided it was too expensive and the MPGs on SUVs aren't as good. I personally like to get on average of 30+ MPG. Anything less than 27 MPG, I frown upon.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

How about a 2015 Ford Fusion with the 2.5 liter engine? That should be just as reliable and maybe a little more so. Here are some 2016 Fusion rentals for $13,700 or so. Throw in your trade and you should be at $13k out the door or sell privately which should net out at $13k.

Thanks for the input, but I stay away from ex-rental vehicles. I have this concern that those vehicles get beaten and abuse quite a lot. I haven't researched the Fusion, but will now.

No trade-in because I need to use the Corolla during the winter while my Celica is stored away in the garage. My wife takes my daughter to school 30 mins before I get home from work. So my options are: Risk losing the Celica in the icy, sludgy, snowy Michigan winter or use the Corolla (which I don't mind totaling) which means I need a bigger, safer vehicle for the wife and daughter to get to school on time.

That feature is new to the wife and I. On the test drive, the wife didn't even noticed it until I pointed it out. At stop lights, I was thinking, dang this engine is really smooth and quiet (which it is) then I looked at the speedometer and saw the needle was at the "start/stop" marker. That feature worked perfectly fine on the test drive and there was no hesitation whatsoever and I didn't even hear the engine start back up. Cool feature, I kinda liked it. I really liked that car, I'm considering upping my max offer to $13.5k OTD.

I would advise on not getting an ex-rental Malibu.

I concur. The ones I'm looking at are all off-lease vehicles, per carfax or autocheck. The one that is considering my $13k OTD offer (they are willing to add on the remote start, which is a requirement for the wife) is an off-lease bought at auction by the dealership. Only issue is, it's 85 miles away from me. This dealership is asking for a deposit if I, officially in writing, offer them $13k out the door pending a test drive and if everything checks out. Is it common for them to ask for a deposit or is this salesperson being shady? Here is the Autotrader post.
Do you mind me asking what your Malibu was in the shop for?

Oh nothing bad, i had the dealership balance the tires after i bought it. One tire had to much roadforce and got swapped out. Had a few trim pieces replaced and and the HVAC and P.S reflashed for the ac warming up when i came to a stop and a dead spot in the steering wheel.

You will love any 8th gen malibu (13-16 limited) i would suj a 14-16 limited. The face of the 14-16 limited look better and have a lil bit more leg room in the back and some 13's have a few bugs with the new body style.

We really love the '15 style Malibu, especially the tail lights. It looks super sporty. The front and headlights look good too but I prefer the current Malibu's headlights. The main reason why I'm going with Chevy is because of it's super smooth ride. After 12 yrs of import sub compacts and their bumpy ride and as we get older and our bodies wear down, a super smooth riding vehicle is a must. I was looking at Buicks also but they are a bit more expensive and their styling isn't what we want.

Also considered the '17 Ford Edge but decided it was too expensive and the MPGs on SUVs aren't as good. I personally like to get on average of 30+ MPG. Anything less than 27 MPG, I frown upon.
Normal driving city and highway mix i can get 27-31mpg, but if i do all highway i can get 39mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back