Need help on 0w20 recommendation for 09 Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

My first oil change is coming up I need help selecting a 0w20 synthetic for my 2009 Corolla. I've used strictly Mobil 1 SuperSyn in my Jeep with Redline in the tranny, x-fer and diffs. I will be changing oil at 5k intervals (per manufacturer) and using the Toyota cartridge filter.

I'm at a toss up between Mobil 0w20 the Amsoil 0w20 offering. I thought Amsoil had a Signature Series or couple 0w20 offerings but I just see the SAE 0w20 Syn for $9.25/Qt. OUCH!!

Let me know if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Seth

Toyota dealerships should have access to 0W-20 in quarts (Toyota Genuine Fluid).

If enough owners request the 0W-20, they may consider getting the 0W-20 in bulk and bring the cost down to consumers.

Another brand for 0W-20 is ENEOS manufactured by Nippon Oil. http://www.eneos.us

Originally Posted By: Seth_TJ
hey guys,

My first oil change is coming up I need help selecting a 0w20 synthetic for my 2009 Corolla. I've used strictly Mobil 1 SuperSyn in my Jeep with Redline in the tranny, x-fer and diffs. I will be changing oil at 5k intervals (per manufacturer) and using the Toyota cartridge filter.

I'm at a toss up between Mobil 0w20 the Amsoil 0w20 offering. I thought Amsoil had a Signature Series or couple 0w20 offerings but I just see the SAE 0w20 Syn for $9.25/Qt. OUCH!!

Let me know if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Seth

Ask buster I believe he used all those oil on his honda.

At 5K intervals, IMO I don't think you will see much of a difference in performace between the two. I have run both Amsoil and M1 0W20 in my Accord. I found that I can't go much more than 9-10K unless I do some work to reduce some fuel consumption. That is my application. I have seen good reports on this site past 10K.

Off topic, but I have commented to people that most any oil can go 5K and even got into a discussion about wear rates between syn and dino. So, I figure I should actually do it. I'm now about 3K into a 5K run of Pennzoil YB 5W20 in the same car. Will see how that goes.
cool.gif
Sorry for the hijack

If price is no object, check out ENEOS 0W-20.
Manufactured by Nippon Oil who supplies the factory fill 0W-20 to Toyota in the USA.

You can check for dealers in your area at http://www.eneos.us

Run the Mobil 1 w/o worry. As far as price, I've seen/bought 5 qts and a Mobil 1 filter for under $30, $26.99 IIRC. Not a bad deal.

HTH,
Frank D

if have time to order the amsoil then do it, if changing real soon use M1 which is probably more readily available. protection using either one

Why a 0Wxx oil? Is it that cold where you live?

To save some $$$, you could use a thin dino 5W20 oil until the warranty expires and then use a 0W20 oil (therefore synthetic) and use it for what it is made for, extended intervals.

A third way is to go in between with a thin synblend 5W20 oil like the schaeffer's oil which is really really thin or PP.

The "fuel save" using 0W20 oil will be largely compensate by the "cheaper to buy" 5W20 oil.

My 2.2 CAN cents.

0w20 is of more benefit than just extended intervals, it has better flow at sub zero temps than a 5w20 does, this provides better protection against start up wear than 5w20.

I know, but does he have sub zero temp in his area?

And, if you look at oil characteristics, some 0W20 oils are thicker than some 5W20, therefore those 5W20 oils should flow better at above zero start up and provide the same kind of protection... for less $$$.

It is the choice of the OP to put the extra $$ in an oil without using its full capacity.
For my part, therefore the 2 US cents, even if I can afford it, I don't like to waste (my education or the european way of seeing things, I don't know). I allow myself some margin (synblend instead of dino) that some more radical would consider waste, but no more until the warranty is up and then I will go as far as I can as I am lazy (same thing as above about education and Europe
wink.gif
).

Maybe 0W-20 because: (From the AMSOIL Directline
"In order to improve vehicle efficency, Toyota recently announced plans to begin recommending lower viscosity SAE 0W-20 motor oils in place of SAE 5W-30 and SEA 5W-20 motor oils in certain Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles sold in North America. Individual owner's manuals will soon eflect the recommendation change."

I expect the recommendations for the same cars outside North America will remain the same. I expect no changes were made in engine specs or manufacturing. I expect there will be (if any at all) a barely discernible difference in mpg between a car on 0W-20 and the same car on 5W-20- and that primarily in something driven 2-5 miles daily, to and from the office.

Just as an aside, I expect there will be at least a few dealers who will stock the 0W-20.

No, I don't have subzero temps. I am in West virigina. The cap says 0w20, figured that what i'm putting in it.

Thanks everyone for their input. I'm going to see if I can find the Mobil around here I guess. I am a Amsoil preferred customer so I guess I could go that route too.

I also have a 2009 Corolla, and recommended is 0w20 or 5w20, but in owners manuals for the rest of the world they spec things from 5w30 all the way to 20w50 I believe (for the middle east). I've been running plain old Mobil 1 5w30 and the car seem to run smoother and quieter and I'm getting a little better mileage (1-2mpg) that I did when the car had 5w20 deal-fill dino oil. If you really want a 0w oil, try looing at Mobil 1 0w30, you'll save yourself a few bucks!

This is only somewhat related, but my '07 Corolla was originally specified for 5W-30, and Toyota changed it to 5W-20 after the fact. The dino 5W-30 I have in it now (Havoline DS) runs a bit smoother than the PP 5W-20 I put in it shortly after I bought it. The same is true of our Town & Country. The engine was originally designed for 5W-30, and was changed to 5W-20 in 2005 (with no changes that we know of). I've run a lot of 5W-20 and 5W-30 in it, and prefer 5W-30. There has been no measurable change in fuel economy on either vehicle between 5W-20 and 5W-30. In fact, the best mileage I've gotten on my '07 Corolla has been on Havoline DS 5W-30.

To the original poster, it appears that you really want to use the 0W-20, and that's fine. But just understand that as long as you're changing the oil at 5,000 mile intervals while still under warranty, even the absolute cheapest 5W-20 conventional is still 150% adequate. Draining M1 or Amsoil after only 5,000 miles is a real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back