need fresh oil in the bike.. what kindd???

Status
Not open for further replies.
my main concern is wet clutches and synthetic oils.. i have herd mixed signals on this with a lot of people.. some stating to go strictly to motorcycle specific oils and some not... i was thinking about possibly getting some M1 15w50 red cap or M1 high mileage 10w40... i live in upstate ny and weather conditions that i will be riding in will be any where from approx 60-95deg.. should i steer more towards some amsoil motorcycle oil or is it alright to get some passenger motor oil? i ride a sport bike.. 2004 kawasaki ninja zx-6r 636... i appreciate all input.. thanks

In my 650 V-twin ATV, been using the Amsoil with a Napa Gold filter for nearly three years now and have had great luck. And during spring/summer I drive it like I stole it. Amsoil has great motor sports oils, IMHO.

In mine I use the 0w-40 Amsoil. Before that I used the Mobil MX4T or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Stick with the MC only oils, and stick with the Amsoil recommendations. You've invested a lot in the bike, why skimp on the oil? Plus, Amsoil makes some great oil and air filters.

what do you guys think about running some auto-rx or cycle-rx in the bike?

Last edited:
The red cap Mobil-1 is no more. The newer 15W-50 si supposedly the same stuff.
What's your budget and what bike and how do you drive it?
Most street bikes will do well on the Mobil=1.
Max life oils of the proper weight might do well also.
Oil change intervals can affect choice also.
Rotella 5W-40 is a favorite with cycle owners of all kinds.
Reasonable price and a good, tuff oil.
Some cycles can use auto filters, better choices and prices.
And in some cases, a larger filter can be used.
Your choice.

The wet clutch isn't a major concern if you use the right weight. Stay away from 30 weight oils, and those with high moly content. Even that is some times overblown.
Only certain bikes have a problem with moly oil.

i ride a street sport bike, 2004 kawasaki ninja 636 (zx-6r) i dont mind dishing over more money for the higher end product.. im just looking for what is best suited for the bike...

No reason to run anything 50wt in a 636. And I'd stay away from the 30wt's too.

Motorcycle oil or an oil with a API classification for diesel is what I use in my motorcycles. I'm a regular long term user of Shell Rotella T in my race bikes.

Synthetics don't cause more problems for wet clutches. But I have found that some oils, even motorcycle specific oils, do leave the transmission clunky and irritating to my shifting inputs based on my experiences.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The red cap Mobil-1 is no more. The newer 15W-50 si supposedly the same stuff.
What's your budget and what bike and how do you drive it?
Most street bikes will do well on the Mobil=1.
Max life oils of the proper weight might do well also.
Oil change intervals can affect choice also.
Rotella 5W-40 is a favorite with cycle owners of all kinds.
Reasonable price and a good, tuff oil.
Some cycles can use auto filters, better choices and prices.
And in some cases, a larger filter can be used.
Your choice.

on my kawi forum they all like rotella as well.. are you talking about the synthetic or non-synthetic?

anything 30 weight and below in automobile oils have the friction modifiers that you want to avoid. 10w40, 15w40, 5w40, 20w50 will all work fine in wet clucth applications. And even then sometimes there is no issue. Most, but not all, people that have problems have problems with the clutch itself, not the oil making the clutch slip.

M1 does have a "reformulated" red cap 15w50 that I have not used so I can not say how good or bad it is. The older red cap 15w50 was a favorite among many motorcycle riders.

I have run golden spectro 10w40, mobil 1 mx4t (now called racing 4t) exxon superflo 20w50, shell rotella 15w40 and 5w40 in my zx9 with zero problems. I have noticed in MY bike and MY riding habits that the rotella line gives me better clutchless upshifts, better in my case meaning smoother, not as notchy as with the M1 4t. Rotella syn 5W40 is in there right now.

I have a case of Brad Penn 20w50 that I will be running this summer. But for all around best bang for the buck I believe (my opinion only) that the rotella 15w40 for the price and performance cant be beat. The price used to be $8.88 for the gallon jug (4 quarts) at walmart but has gone up to just over $9 now. I still believe it is an excellent oil that gives just as good a performance and wear results as the more expensive boutique oils.

Amsoil from all the rave reviews is an excellent oil to use. I do not use it as I change out my oil every 2000-2500 miles so it does not make sense for me to use it moneywise. Motul, fuchs silkolene, maxima are all good oils if you want to spend the money and are going to get your money's worth.

Mobil Delvac 1 is touted as a darn good syn oil if you can find it. The Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15w40 is a good one as well as Chevron Delo 400 15w40. I have a gallon of each to try out eventually. If you can find the Valvoline Synpower 20w50 on bogo I would not hesitate to use that either. I picked up 12 quarts last bogo.

Mobil 1 vtwin 20w50 from the specs shows it to be a stout oil with a darn good add pack. I would not hesitate to use it either, if I got it at a discount.

It is really up to you to decide. If you like to do the longer drain intervals then amsoil, M1, Motul etc... may be right for you. There are uoa's on here where some gold wing riders have gone as far as 8000 miles on rotella 15w40 with very good wear numbers and the report looked awesome.

If you want to run synthetics and change them out every 10K, 8K, 5K, 3K, or every 2K, it is up to you and your decision alone.

Last edited:
auto-rx, cycle-rx, tranny-rx. whatever, is all the same. Just the applications and amounts you use are different. follow the instructions on the auto-rx site. I believe it is 2 ounces per quart of oil for bikes

Last edited:
thanks to everyone for all the input i really appreciate it.. i think ive decided to go with shell rotella t 5w40 synthetic with purolator pure one larger car filter.

Shell Rotella:
White Jug, 15W-40 Conventional oil

Blue Jug, 5W-40 Synthetic oil
Both diesel rated oils, HDEO, either will work well in most any cycle.

Originally Posted By: gtpimp
thanks to everyone for all the input i really appreciate it.. i think ive decided to go with shell rotella t 5w40 synthetic with purolator pure one larger car filter.

PL14610 should be the one for you, but I would double check that for sure

Synthetic is not the issue, it's the additive package.

Just use an oil Rated Jaso MA or a regular car/diesel oil that's non enegy concerving (5/10/15W 40W or 10/15W 50W) with a nice additive package...

Originally Posted By: gtpimp

You have made an excellent choice Grasshopper...

John.

You could give one of the "BOARD SPONSORS" a call as well.(AMSOIL)

Didn't think I seen Shell on here anywhere.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back