Need an SUV, current model Year or CPO, no cvt.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by grampi
Why no CVTs? I could understand this a few years ago, but today's CVTs are as good as any regular trannies...I would be more against turbo charged engines than CVTs...

I'm not concerned about their longevity, I just prefer a good automatic. I cannot believe anyone with a modicum of intelligence would choose a CVT over a ZF 8HP- but if any such nitwits exist, they are probably here on BITOG.

Sounds like you need to drive something that does well with a CVT. I was given a 2017 Corolla as loaner while my wife's Sienna was in the shop for a recall. It had a CVT and it was a pleasure to drive. The CVT kept the RPMs right at the perfect speed for the situation...and when I stepped on it while I was on the highway, it responded like no automatic ever has...it instantly put the RPMs right in the meat of the power band...it actually made the Corolla feel fast. I would take a CVT in a heartbeat....

Why no CVTs? I could understand this a few years ago, but today's CVTs are as good as any regular trannies...I would be more against turbo charged engines than CVTs...

I'm not concerned about their longevity, I just prefer a good automatic. I cannot believe anyone with a modicum of intelligence would choose a CVT over a ZF 8HP- but if any such nitwits exist, they are probably here on BITOG.

Sounds like you need to drive something that does well with a CVT. I was given a 2017 Corolla as loaner while my wife's Sienna was in the shop for a recall. It had a CVT and it was a pleasure to drive. The CVT kept the RPMs right at the perfect speed for the situation...and when I stepped on it while I was on the highway, it responded like no automatic ever has...it instantly put the RPMs right in the meat of the power band...it actually made the Corolla feel fast. I would take a CVT in a heartbeat....

Name a car with a CVT that runs 0-60 in under 4.5-5.0 seconds and we will talk.
Have you driven anything with over 320 hp mated to a ZF 8HP? I'll concede that it is nowhere near as engaging and soul stirring as a CVT equipped Corolla that "feels" fast, so color me very envious...

Have you driven anything with over 320 hp mated to a ZF 8HP? I'll concede that it is nowhere near as engaging and soul stirring as a CVT equipped Corolla that "feels" fast, so color me very envious...

If were talking about vehicles this fast, I'd take a manual tranny...way more fun to drive than any automatic...

If were talking about vehicles this fast, I'd take a manual tranny...way more fun to drive than any automatic...

First off, a 4.5-5.0 second 0-60 isn't that fast. I've come to the point where I prefer manuals in cars that really need one- those with engines that need to be wound out to make significant power, like my Club Sport- the M42 needs to be kept north of 4500 rpm to make brisk progress. With engines that make peak torque from 1300-4500 rpm-such as the N55 and B58-I prefer the ZF 8HP; it shifts quickly, rev matches, and has a true manual mode. On the track it can virtually read my mind.

First off, a 4.5-5.0 second 0-60 isn't that fast. I've come to the point where I prefer manuals in cars that really need one- those with engines that need to be wound out to make significant power, like my Club Sport- the M42 needs to be kept north of 4500 rpm to make brisk progress. With engines that make peak torque from 1300-4500 rpm-such as the N55 and B58-I prefer the ZF 8HP; it shifts quickly, rev matches, and has a true manual mode. On the track it can virtually read my mind.

Cars get manuals, SUV's get automatics, is my general rule of thumb. I don't race for money, so it's about fun for me. Not out and out performance.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Cars get manuals, SUV's get automatics, is my general rule of thumb. I don't race for money, so it's about fun for me. Not out and out performance.

I got tired of giving point-bys in HPDE instructor sessions; the F22 put paid to that. Currently my Club Sport and Wrangler are the only manuals in the garage, but I'm currently looking for an M2 or M4 with three pedals(and no hole in the roof). It's been 25 years since I owned a real ///M car and that is about 25 years too long.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I got tired of giving point-bys in HPDE instructor sessions; the F22 put paid to that. Currently my Club Sport and Wrangler are the only manuals in the garage, but I'm currently looking for an M2 or M4 with three pedals(and no hole in the roof). It's been 25 years since I owned a real ///M car and that is about 25 years too long.

I keep thinking about trading my turbo CX5 for an SQ5 or M340i or something, but I just can't bring myself to do it irregardless of the price difference at that time. German vehicles just worry me. Fun hobby, but not something I want to count on. If I could own a car? I'd be sorely tempted to just snag a C5 Z06. Boring but capable, and PM is 100% understood by now.

Nissan GT-R will easily do 0-60 in half that time,

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu

A GT-R has a CVT?

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu

A GT-R has a CVT?

Nope.

A neighbor has one, they are fun enough. But I still prefer my RWD sportscar with an old 6-speed manual. He can get me from a dead stop to 60 on dirty pavement, but I quickly catch and pass him.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Tjbouwhu said:
A GT-R has a CVT?

Nope.

A neighbor has one, they are fun enough. But I still prefer my RWD sportscar with an old 6-speed manual. He can get me from a dead stop to 60 on dirty pavement, but I quickly catch and pass him.

I was joking; I prefer RWD as well- a CCA member has one and it just leaves me cold.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I keep thinking about trading my turbo CX5 for an SQ5 or M340i or something, but I just can't bring myself to do it irregardless of the price difference at that time. German vehicles just worry me. Fun hobby, but not something I want to count on. If I could own a car? I'd be sorely tempted to just snag a C5 Z06. Boring but capable, and PM is 100% understood by now.

They're fun. I have two of them. I really like how Mercedes has EPC and WIS. EPC lets you look up the part numbers with the vin of your car so you can get the correct parts. When there's AWD/RWD and sports/luxury suspensions, it's hard to know for sure if the parts store has the right part listed in their catalog. WIS gives you the dealer repair manual. All for under $10 on eBay. Been counting on mine for over 5 years.

As for the CVT, I did drive a Corolla once as a rental. Somewhat gutless so basically floored most of the time. Hard to get use to a lack of power when you're used to a V6.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Ws6

They're fun. I have two of them. I really like how Mercedes has EPC and WIS. EPC lets you look up the part numbers with the vin of your car so you can get the correct parts. When there's AWD/RWD and sports/luxury suspensions, it's hard to know for sure if the parts store has the right part listed in their catalog. WIS gives you the dealer repair manual. All for under $10 on eBay. Been counting on mine for over 5 years.

As for the CVT, I did drive a Corolla once as a rental. Somewhat gutless so basically floored most of the time. Hard to get use to a lack of power when you're used to a V6.

For me, reliability is just #1. First and last. I'm waiting for a "Japanese SQ5".

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

For me, reliability is just #1. First and last. I'm waiting for a "Japanese SQ5".

Well had one for over 6 years and haven't had to have it towed in that time period. Same with the other one at almost 4 years.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Well had one for over 6 years and haven't had to have it towed in that time period. Same with the other one at almost 4 years.

Over that 200k miles or so, how much has needed repair beyond maintenance, and what is the average cost to maintain it that long? My cx5 needs plugs every 40k miles, brakes every 80-100k, and oil changes/filter changes. Not the worst, but the 40k mile plug interval is annoying. I'm guessing it's the result of pushing 17psi of boost.

$300/mo is about $16,000 over 60 months. With your $5000 cash you have a budget of $21,000. Subtract tax/title and figure you can spend around $20,000 as a purchase price.

You might be able to find a new basic Hyundai Tucson that could be negotiated down to that range..or..look for a used or certified preowned 2019 Santa Fe SE. They are all over the place at around $18-19,000. It gets great reviews, 8 spd auto trans, much roomier than a Tucson, RAV4, CRV, etc, long warranty.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Nothing boring about a Z06...of ANY genration...

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's completely dependent on what you're used to driving. Me, I'm used to driving an '04 Corolla, so the new one with the CVT felt fast to me...

Originally Posted by Ws6
Over that 200k miles or so, how much has needed repair beyond maintenance, and what is the average cost to maintain it that long? My cx5 needs plugs every 40k miles, brakes every 80-100k, and oil changes/filter changes. Not the worst, but the 40k mile plug interval is annoying. I'm guessing it's the result of pushing 17psi of boost.

I'm not sure how you lump repairs with maintenance. Things like tie rods, ball joints, control arms, sway bar links springs/shocks, motor mounts, tensioner/pulleys, alternator, thermostats, brakes, etc basically fall into maintenance for me. When the alternator died, I had enough early warning to make it home and didn't need a tow. After charging up the battery, I was able to just drive it to my normal mechanic to get it replaced. Autozone sent me the alternator and I got it the next day. My plugs are still 100k so only did them once. Oil/filter is every 10k but it's 7.5-8.5 quarts of synthetic. I guess the only real repair would be an axle seal, about a $10 part but around $150 at an indy to do it. I got quotes from other places of between $600 to $1000 at the dealer. I think they were really padding their hours because my indy did it in under 2 hours. I don't include flat tires/bent/cracked rims.

It's completely dependent on what you're used to driving. Me, I'm used to driving an '04 Corolla, so the new one with the CVT felt fast to me...

Oh yeah, the regular car has 268hp, the Corolla rental was about 132.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm not sure how you lump repairs with maintenance. Things like tie rods, ball joints, control arms, sway bar links springs/shocks, motor mounts, tensioner/pulleys, alternator, thermostats, brakes, etc basically fall into maintenance for me.

With the exception of brakes, the rest of that sounds like repairs. If it's not on the maintenance schedule, I'm not sure how it could qualify as anything other than a repair. Ok fine, on a 20 year old car, it may be routine and expected to replace the radiator--but it still sounds like a repair to me.

21.gif

Back