Need advice on tranny service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I need some advice on who should perform my tranny service on my Bonneville and my mom's Sable. I want a flush along with a service performed but my mechanic doesn't have the machine to flush. They told me they use some additive. I don't think I like that. So I found a shop that does have the machine and charges $150. I was thinking of just taking them back to the dealers but they are a little more costly at $180. The money really isn't a big issue, do you think the dealer would be better? I'm afraid maybe the shop may use cheap gaskets or the wrong fluid, or maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Does that shop use an additive or do they use the proper fluid? Inquire the shop as to which fluid is used in their machine, and compare to the fluids recommended in the owner's manual. The quality of gaskets and such should be similar for both the shop and dealer. The main thing you want is for them to change the transmission filter along with the flush, don't do the flush without the filter change.

The only reason I can see going to the dealer is if this shop does not guarantee their work and does not use the proper fluid (which means they want to use an additive to "change" the fluid).

Why is it some ask specific questions on this board without submitting sufficient information to allow for an intelligent reply - such as the model year(s) for the vehicle(s) under consideration? GM products up to 2006 used Dexron III-H (which is also compatible with Mercon, though Mercon V is another story). You'd have to try hard to get the wrong fluid for a Bonneville up through 2005. A 2006 Bonneville probably requires Dexron VI. Dexron VI is backward compatible with previous Dexron formulations. If the additive is merely a lube stabilizer such as Lubegard or Gunk "Red" (vs. a friction modifier additve to allow Dexron to mimic an OEM proprietary ATF*), there's no issue.

*The jury's still out on the effectiveness of those as far as I'm concerned. Unless I was trying to unload a car as a trade-in, personally, I'd steer clear of those concoctions.

Well the specifications for my vehicles here is really irrelevant. All I'm saying is that I always use my private mechanic but in this case I'm not going to him because he does not have the machine to flush my tranny and yes I also want a service done. So I found a shop that does have a machine to flush, so my dilemma is should I just go to the dealer for this. I plan on doing this to both of my vehicles, 98 Mercury Sable with the 3.0 DOHC engine and my very own 03 Bonneville with the 3.8. I'm just worried about gasket material and overall workmanship etc. I wish my mechanic had the flush machine then I would not have any problems.

miked, actually the specs of your vehicles ARE important...for instance, your '98 Sable requires Mercon V, while a '97 would specifically NOT use Mercon V. As ConfederateTyrant said, it's important that your shop knows the difference, too.

But to answer your question, the dealer is usually the "safest" place to take a given car, unless they're known to be shady or incompetent. Dealers usually have the necessary training and parts to do the job properly, but will also usually be the most expensive.

If you're that uncertain about the competence of the mechanic you've found, then I wouldn't use him for anything. I especially wouldn't worry about the proper gasket material on your Sable, as the transaxle gasket is designed to be reused multiple times...I can't speak for your Bonneville, but the better quality replacement filters come with a good gasket.

Your only other choice is to DIY...it's very simple on both cars...

I want to emphasize something that was pointed out above. Be very cautious of any shop that does a transmission flush. When you change out transmission fluid, you HAVE to drop the pan, clean it out and change the filter (given the filter is servicable, which it certainly is on those vehicles). If this is neglected, the junk built up on the bottom of the pan, which can be a surprising amount, can and will work its way up into the filter, which will clog it and starve your tranmission of fluid. That'll be the end of that transmission.

The only time you really need a flush is when the fluid is contaminated for some reason. Many shops offer them, though, because they're faster when you have the machine to do it and most people don't know the difference. If the fluid is in decent shape, a pan drop, filter change and refill is all that's necessary. If you still want a flush, you need to insist that the pan be dropped and cleaned and the filter changed first.

Thanks a million guys! :)I'm just going to have to make a decision as what I'm going to do. My mom's Sable has 42,000 miles and my Bonneville has 38,000. Wouldn't you guys recommend a flush along with a service at those miles?

Are you kidding? No way. GM recommends 100k miles normal, 50k severe. I tend toward 25 - 30k miles myself, but at 38k, a pan drop should be perfectly sufficient. I'm not familiar with Ford's service intervals, but I strongly suspect the same will be true.

Pan drop/filter change only. Don't worry about a flush.

On my light duty stuff I usually run about 20K mile pan drains. I've installed remote filters and drain plugs so I don't worry about the internal "felt" filters that I'm using very often. On my HD stuff I run 12-15K mile pan/converter drains. Been using SF AutoGlide in various types with good results and will continue to use that as long as it performs this well.

I'm not a big fan of flushes unless it's a cooler line disconnect and starting the engine type method. The flushes have a better chance of pushing debris somewhere they don't need to be. I've had failure prone automatics last 200K+ miles this way, it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back