Need a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Recalibration--anyone avail to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've been banging out some maintenance the last week or so and after cleaning my TB I now have erratic idle and a MIL--posting this in a couple locations.

I, of course, did the idle relearn to no avail. After reading around CRV Owners, 8th Gen Civic, I'm realizing what's going on with the DBW system and the TB.

Does anyone have a Bidirectional scan tool to perform the TPS Recalibration? I'll come to you and buy you lunch or a 6-pack; your choice
smile.gif

I'm in LA area--Hermosa Beach.

It sounds like you need to reset the TP Learning Value, then perform the idle speed relearn again.

I had to do this on a newer CRV after doing a software update.

If you want to invest in the MongoosePro interface for Honda, the daily subscription to HDS is only $10. The cable is $500, but a dealer will probably charge you 1 hr labor (which can be as much as $200 depending on your location) to perform the relearn.

Screenshot (38).png

Thank you for the specifics--likely spot on!

I agree, I'm likely not going to get a dealer to do this on the cheap...I hope to find someone local to help out rather than drop $500 on cables or ~$100-200 at the dealer.

I know California is a big state, but is this something you're set up to do?

Some day I will have to replace my vehicle.
It will be a BIG learning curve that I dread.

Two years ago, I also had an Engine Code that said "Bad Throttle Position Sensor"
I went to the auto store and bought a new (aftermarket) TPS.
Installed it and my truck ran better. No problems since.
It was a five minute job.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
If the idle relearn doesn't work, then there must be a problem. Like a vacuum leak. I recently had a similar issue with the maxima in my sig.
Originally Posted by Trav
You could get this and have a tool for the future.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5KV85...d_r=9ee9b80c-2acd-11e9-b5a3-830356680a3c

Does it connect to body control modules? Like for example rear heat control module communication.

Yup, the problem is likely that I have to recalibrate the TPS. I only disconnected the air box from the TB opening via the hose clamp. There is no mechanical connection to the throttle plate, this is DBW, so the ECU needs to relearn the new position/angle of the plenum after the gunk was cleaned out.

There are a litany of complaints regarding this very issue after this specific action.

https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ecu...g-idle-after-cleaning-throttle-body.html

I did not remove the TB, only cleaned it by hand with carb cleaner on a rag...it was filthy, so I'm quite confident that the TB plenum's angle has changed from all the grit that was removed. When reattaching the air filter hoses to the TB, I cleaned all the mating surfaces, seated everything fully and fastened the hose clamps with greater tension than they were before the clean.

Thank you for attempting to troubleshoot with me though!

shop around for a good independent shop, equipment is costly so you will still pay a bit but STEALERS are the worse, big overhead + looking for big profits!!

Originally Posted by Blurider24
I found a local place that is doing it now with a Snap-On Zeus.

Presently idling at 700RPM during the idle relearn.

How much did they charge you?

On an unrelated note, it baffles me as to why any shop would own a Zeus. For $15K, you can buy 1 or 2 Maxisys scanners and spend the remainder on real OE subscriptions for your most popular vehicle lines, and be much better equipped.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
If the idle relearn doesn't work, then there must be a problem. Like a vacuum leak. I recently had a similar issue with the maxima in my sig.

Does it connect to body control modules? Like for example rear heat control module communication.

I don't own that one but I think you may need something a bit more advanced for that.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I found a local place that is doing it now with a Snap-On Zeus.

Presently idling at 700RPM during the idle relearn.

How much did they charge you?

On an unrelated note, it baffles me as to why any shop would own a Zeus. For $15K, you can buy 1 or 2 Maxisys scanners and spend the remainder on real OE subscriptions for your most popular vehicle lines, and be much better equipped.

$50 and 25-30 minutes including 12 minutes for the Idle Relearn procedure and rooting around in the menus to find the appropriate function. Idle immediately dropped from ~925 to 650 RPM. Everything is running as it should with the engine at normal operating temps. I'll see when the PCM/ECU relearns all its parameters and in the AM when the engine is cold.

I had another shop, they weren't too communicative even though I was right there, informing them of the procedure...decided to reset the PCM/ECU instead of doing the TPS calibration. They stated they successfully performed similar procedures for older Nissans and it worked...though not on my Honda. So, I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

Anything PC laptop-based that you can recommend? I have a small "reader", still $150-225 is a bit steep for me atm. But if a dealer is going to charge me a teste for the procedure...

Trav, you recommended the 650, thank you. Though, is there any particular reason why? I've seen others purchase the 510, but don't know why either...trying to gain some insight into the selection of the right tool... thoughts??

Critic. The owner and I chatted a bit, and the asking price of the unit was definitely not what he paid... he was given a $3,000 "trade-in" for his 14 year old unit, and they never collected his old tool, so he turned around and sold it for ~$2,000. They also gave him an $800 (he might have said $1,800) loyalty credit...so, that knocked his total cost down almost 50%. Still though $6,000 is quite the expense on these machines and he said DB updates are $1,600 every time, which he says he does every 3ish years. It was a pretty eye opening experience, all-in-all.

I have a few scanners inc a Foxwell NT644 Pro (Euro spec more functions than the US version, for this model only purchase it from a Euro company otherwise leave it alone), not a replacement for a Modus or Zeus but a convenient little tool that does most things for low money and free lifetime updates.
I have seen complaints on various forums about the 510 not doing many throttle body relearns but the 650 seems to get good results and does do the relearn on most vehicles inc Honda.

I use the Foxwell for TB relearn, parking brake retraction and general stuff. If I need to get deep into the BCM features like door relearn I use the Snap on. With the coupon the 650 is $220 and it will do many of things a DIY will probably need so in my book for something capable of some bi directional features that is a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back