Need a new battery, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery on Accord has to be replaced bad cell (not covered out of warranty), have had bad luck with Honda OEM batteries. These are the three I'm looking at, locally available but I'm open to suggestions.

Sears DieHard

Duralast

Everstart Walmart

I'm leaning towards the Diehard or Duralast. Any others that i should consider?. FYI the battery on my Escape is going strong for 8 years.

Didnt have good luck with wm battery, though warranty was easy.

If you have Costco membership, I'd look at theirs, otherwise go to advance auto and get the silver grade battery. Buy it online with discount coupon code, and pick it up in store. Make sure you get the freshest one you can find.

All three that you mentioned are made by Johnson controls. Same with advance auto batteries. I just bought one from advance auto and used a discount code to get $50 off. Purchase online and pickup in store.

The Super Start #51rext if you can find it. For the price of $125.00, an AGM with a great warranty to boot. The only problem is O'Reilly Auto doesn't seem to have it in stock and special order for this battery is only available in certain parts of the country.

I've had excellent results buying the best (Gold?) Auto Zone Duralast batteries, going on a few decades now. However, the best batteries from some other retail stores are the equal, so maybe the best price on a high quality battery is the way to go.

My concern with buying a battery, beyond reliability and such, is the ease with which I can get a replacement should the battery go bad. I don't think I've had an AZ battery go bad, but they've proven to be easy to deal with for others and there seems to be one nearby in every city I've ever been in, and they keep good hours. I suppose Walmart would be a good choice from that standpoint, too. The length of the free replacement period is important, too.

Walmart MAXX, also tested best in this class by Consumer Reports, also warranty is easy as is finding a store, my last Interstate lasted 5 years with a sudden death from full charge to shorted cell in a week

The Walmart MAXX battery rated on top for almost all groups by Consumer Reports. The MAXX I got was a JCI battery. You can get a replacement under warranty at almost any city in the country.

Last edited:
IMHO, all of the batteries listed are very good. Buy-by-price!
AAP discount codes(online) are a HUGE help in lowering the cost of the battery as I have seen the cost jump lately as is the core charge.

I like the higher end batteries(GOLD, Titanium, MAXX etc.) as they last longer with todays more complex systems and electronics.

Thanks for the suggestions, Im going to pick one up tomorrow looking for coupons today. Would there be any advantage to an agm in a daily driver that would justify the cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back