Need a glass type container to storage oil idea ?

Lately I been buying engine oil on 12qt box . I usually carry a qt extra back of my trunk . But the cap on the bottle is getting loose . I was thinking some mason jar lol . Clear to see though and look cool . Any idea ? I need a glass type container that hold about a qt of oil with strong cap that not loose over time .

But the cap on the bottle is getting loose . I was thinking some mason jar lol . Clear to see though and look cool .
HUH?
1) The caps on every bottle I've had have been tight. You could lay the bottle upside down and it wouldn't leak.
2) How do you plan on pouring the oil from the mason jar into the engine. They have a pretty wide mouth. Use a funnel? How are you now going to store an oil covered funnel?
3) Not sure what's cool about looking at oil in a jar, but whatever floats your boat.

This sounds like an Exxon Valdez in miniature just waiting to happen. Hit a bump hard, jar knocks into something and shatters, oil spills all over the place.

Last edited:
Lately I been buying engine oil on 12qt box . I usually carry a qt extra back of my trunk . But the cap on the bottle is getting loose . I
Rotate it out with one of the other 11 you have…… ;) Wrap some electrical tape around the cap and put it in a large zip lock bag.

I'm confused (situation normal)....

You buy oil in a case of 12 individual quarts? Why can't you just carry an unopened quart in the trunk?

If you're buying oil in a wine box, why not just go to WM and buy an unopened single?

I don't like glass containers in the garage but I do occasionally use glass beakers when I'm soak cleaning small parts/nut/bolts.

If you don't want a potential mess in your trunk, I'd suggest going with a thick wall Nalgene HDPE bottle.

1689532332009.jpg

Beat me to it Nukeman7.
Sis worked in a research lab which 'ran out of money'; a common turn of events.
All the employees whacked up what there was to be tossed.
EXAMPLE: Rented furniture and large equipment was not up for grabs.
Several Nalgene containers came my way.
Alas, only pet feed is stored in them.

I might like a small 'pocket' somewhere low in the engine compartment which could fit a plastic quart oil bottle.
This way, if a leak occurred, I'd get rustproofing out of the deal.
There is hardly any room for even that in today's "shoehorn special" engine bays.

Lately I been buying engine oil on 12qt box . I usually carry a qt extra back of my trunk . But the cap on the bottle is getting loose . I was thinking some mason jar lol . Clear to see though and look cool . Any idea ? I need a glass type container that hold about a qt of oil with strong cap that not loose over time .
I used to pour a Pint (1/2 qt) from the 5 qt jugs into Pint mason Jars, before changes on cars that took 4.5 qts....
however, I kept those pints on a shelf, until I had 4.5qts saved up. then do a "frankenbrew" change ( or just buy 4 qts for the next change...)
I wouldn't want to keep a glass jar full of oil potentially rolling around in the back of my car.

I use a 52 ounce plastic bottle of Simply Lemonade. It has a good screw cap, a wide mouth and a wide base so it stores well. Mark the half quart and full quart lines with a Sharpie or some masking tape.

This is out of my wife's A4. Mag1 5W30 C3 oil. Electric tape wrapped on. Never a problem. However, the bottle is clear and lacks the sight window most motor oil quart bottles have which can leak as they get old.

IMG_5153.JPG

Leave the oil in your garage and then it won’t spill. How often do you need to add oil? If you check it when getting gas top it off when you get home. 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02

Back