Napa Platinum 4100290 - updated PF64 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zee, no, both runs were PUP GTL 0W20, same air filter (did not change or open intake tract) and were run over very similar times seasons-wise, about a year apart. Not knocking any filters, but just trying to make sense of the difference between lab results and personal experience.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
OK I just have to ask some questions of all the Platinum haters.

Insolubles are generally accepted as a good indicator of filtering efficiency, yes?

Platinums are generally regarded here by the filter snobs (and 4548-12 ratings) as pieces of garbage for filtering efficiency, yes?

So, please explain to me (yes this is an honest question) HOW did a Platinum give me fully HALF the insolubles of a Fram Ultra, while traveling 50% more miles over the OCI, with the same oil and usage patterns (and the Ultra was run when there were fewer miles on the vehicle)? Some of this worship of 4548-12 numbers when the empirical data conflicts with what's written on the box is honestly confusing.

Not a Platinum Hater, but the multi pass test is a four hour test. They load to capacity using a test dust in that time. That's what the efficiency number is for, that test. Four hours is something like 200-250 miles of driving, being generous. In real life the oil is circulating for maybe 5-10k miles, or much more, before the filter is full. My opinion is that isn't the same as a four hour lab test.
If one filter sheds more media during an oil change interval than another, those also are insolubles. Just as an example of many things could be going on. Air filter has to be the same to compare, and where the sample is taken. If it is a windy day and the sample is taken outside, maybe dust gets in the sample more.
49.gif

Comparing ISO Cleanliness Codes would be a better way to compare real world performance. As I've showed a few times before in the controlled "Bus Study" test data, filters that tested more efficient in the lab also kept the particle count lower in actual road use. I see no reason why it wouldn't be that way.

Maybe the XP/Platinum is better than what WIX claims, or maybe there was a flaw in the Ultra you had that caused unfiltered oil to bypass. One data point with issues can be misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back