Napa Gold 7356, ~6600 mi. cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This NG7356 run one year, 15% MM/OLM, M1 0w30 3.0L Accord. Typical results I've seen with this application. Adbv flexible and holding oil after draining base down, ~$3.90 at semi annual NG sale. This one made 9/14, thus the white can, now black. Replaced with another 7356 and some PP (not PUP) 5w20 had in the stash awhile.

For information purposes, can report that newest 7356 purchased made in March now using louvered center tube. Doesn't bother me and already installed on a Rogue.

Looks like a syn filter... thick media! Nice even pleats, could have more but that's being picky.
grin.gif

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

So now Wix is now using a slotted center tube, *and* the media cartridge for this filter is so tiny! I like Wix, this is not their best application. Fram and Hastings use bigger media cartridges inside their cans. Hastings is the best at louvers, and Fram still uses round holes.

That's March 2018 production, right? When they switched to the slits?

Don't know exactly when switch was made to a louvered center tube. March of this year was referenced filter manufacture date date of latest 7356 purchase. As noted, only given for information purposes, future reference, and of zero concern to me. As for the opinion on application element size, pragmatically speaking topic filter plenty of holding capacity ime. I've had excellent results with topic 7356 application and price is right for the quality of construction. Other than using an occasional FU, no reason at this point for me to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I've cut open a few of these and they have always looked great. My go-to filter for my Honda applications.
thumbsup2.gif

My experience as well.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks good, thanks for c&p
You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Wow, did they change media recently?
Typically wix filters are all WAVY after a 6month run.

Not in my experience. Here's the last one I posted. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4567892/Napa_Gold_7356,_~5950_mi._cut_

That said, not that other than aesthetics some wave hurts anything.

Quote:
Also did you use snips to open the filter?
Nope, used my trusty ~$15 made in Taiwan HF exhaust cutter. Requires a little finesse. Discontinued now.
image_6718.jpg

Never cared for that by-pass valve arrangement metal on metal.Space that could be used for more filtering media. I cut a new NAPA Gold about six months ago and was NOT impressed with media. Didn't look like media shown here.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Typically wix filters are all WAVY after a 6month run.

You must have missed my thread here where I ran a Wix XP (Napa Platinum) for 17k miles. Structurally, it looks identical to the day it was built, and took a beating in the process. No more Ceratec for me!
smile.gif

Quote:
Never cared for that by-pass valve arrangement metal on metal...... I cut a new NAPA Gold about six months ago and was NOT impressed with media. Didn't look like media shown here.

So you've said before multiples times, here , here , and here to name a few. It's like deja vu all over again and again......

As your filter predilection is well known, hardly an unbiased opine. As for metal on metal, when you have proof the Wix design doesn't function as designed feel free too post it up.

So, I suggest you use what you like, and I'll continue to do the same. Thanks for positive contribution to this thread and the topic anecdote.
55.gif

Looks good. How do you like the Pennzoil Platinum? Might try some.

Thanks Zee. PP is fine, this was some mark down/close out I've had in the stash. Honestly I don't notice much difference among the synthetics. This Accord first vehicle I've owned that has seen synthetic only, now ~87k miles. I've run M1, QSUD and PP, all one year oci. Looking down the fill hole, valve train looks good, like new. Think I have some Havoline ProDS Syn closeout priced at O'R for next oci. Prices of synthetic oil, with or without rebate, or on closeout so close to conventional, an easy choice for one year oci.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Thanks Zee. PP is fine, this was some mark down/close out I've had in the stash. Honestly I don't notice much difference among the synthetics. This Accord first vehicle I've owned that has seen synthetic only, now ~87k miles. I've run M1, QSUD and PP, all one year oci. Looking down the fill hole, valve train looks good, like new. Think I have some Havoline ProDS Syn closeout priced at O'R for next oci. Prices of synthetic oil, with or without rebate, or on closeout so close to conventional, an easy choice for one year oci.

Thanks for the info and the C&P. I'm thinking of trying some other full synthetic besides Mobil 1. Been reading a lot in the PCMO forum. Probably Valvoline Advanced or Pennzoil Platinum, maybe Castrol Edge or Magnatec. Too many choices.
grin2.gif

^^^^Magnatec definitely on my radar, reasonable every day price, occasional mark down can be found at WM or Amazon with prime. Every once and awhile Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at Walmart will show up on promo board for about same price as PP. Supposed to be superior to PP, but IDK.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Never cared for that by-pass valve arrangement metal on metal...... I cut a new NAPA Gold about six months ago and was NOT impressed with media. Didn't look like media shown here.

So you've said before multiples times, here , here , and here to name a few. It's like deja vu all over again and again......

As your filter predilection is well known, hardly an unbiased opine. As for metal on metal, when you have proof the Wix design doesn't function as designed feel free too post it up. Thanks Sayjac, I'll put that on my list of things to avoid so as not to be too redundant. I didn't realize anyone was following my posts that close.

So, I suggest you use what you like, and I'll continue to do the same. Thanks for positive contribution to this thread and the topic anecdote.
55.gif

^^^^ I'd appreciate it as a common courtesy and board etiquette, in the future if you're going to quote me, you not include your comments/reply within my quote. Makes it difficult for readers to see the difference between the original quote, and the reply. A moderator has referenced the practice in the past as one that should be avoided.

As for paying reading and paying attention, something I try do as regular practice. I try to do it for many different threads and posts for future reference, and perhaps to help someone with a question. However, seeing as you felt the compulsion to repeat oft posted thoughts in a thread I started, thought I'd illustrate as reference in my reply.

Hopefully now you'll be able to move on from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back