Mystik Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on the Mystik Oils? My local Farm and Fleet stocks them at a good price and I was considering using them. When I lived in Oklahoma, Mystik seemed to be a popular oil, but I think they were an regional brand from Oklahoma there when they started.

Now they are owned by Citgo, which scares me a little based on some of the stories I hear about Citgo's gas quality. I don't know if those stories are founded in fact, but it certainly makes me think twice. Here are the specs I found on the website. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

SAE Grade 5W-30
Gravity, ASTM D 4052, °API 32.3
Pounds/Gallon at 60°F 7.2
Specific Gravity at 60°F 0.864
Viscosities:
at -30°C, cP Max 6,140 –
at 40°C, cSt 66
at 100°C, cSt 10.9
Viscosity Index 158
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, COC, °F (°C) 446 (230)
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C) -22 (-30)
Color, ASTM D 1500 L3.0

They are manufactured (bottled?) by Citgo but are formulated differently. Grab the sheets for both and compare. One of my favorite oils is the Mystik 15W-40 - it's pretty awesome, actually. I'm not a fan of Citgo's 10W-40, though, for comparison. FYI the Mystik 15W-40 is a synth blend.

Citgo gas treats me pretty well - it's not my favorite but it seems middle to upper pack - and my mileages are VERY consistent.

It used be that Mystik and Rotella were blened at the same location in OK City. Don't know anymore since all the company ownership changes.

Kerr-McGee to Citgo and all in between

You should not take your your dislike of Chavez out on the American employees of the American company Citgo. They make fine products. Boycotting them only hurts the American employees, and doesn't hurt Chavez one bit. If you boycott oil companies because those who own them are unsavory you better learn to walk.

I boycott Mobil because their products are sub-par and their environmental record is less than stellar, in my opinion.

i've been eyeing up the 15w40 semi syn oil for a while too, since it is such a bargain. Would like to see how they hold up in a uoa. I just have a hard time getting away from amsoil and helping out my local dealer. I may have to buy some to run in my motorcycles and run a uoa on them since they are harder on oil than the diesel truck.

Off Topic Warning

Citgo not American owned as per
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2006-01-11-citgo-cover-usat_x.htm

Citgo is a subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA). As such, it ultimately belongs to Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez, an avowedly anti-American leader who counts Fidel Castro among his closest
friends and mocks President Bush as a "genocidal murderer."

In my opinion do not buy Citgo

I agree. I also will not buy Citgo products. True that if you didn't buy from oil products from those that dislike us then we would all walk. But Chavez is completely out of line and I will not support him in anyway. As for those that work for his subsidiaries I am sorry that they work there. If I worked for him and helped put money in his pocket I would look for another job. It is a free country, although I don't think he like it that way, so one can look for other employment.

Sorry for my opinion but right or wrong in this case I am sticking to it!!!

I know what this thread needs! A little lethal injection -- just what the doctor ordered.
needle.gif

Guys, please restrain yourselves. I don't care for Hugo any more than anyone else, but we have a clear R/S/P rule. Be glad that I got to you first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back