My wax collection list. Help decide what to keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the list:

Paste:
No 7 White polishing compound
Turtle Wax Polishing compound
Simoniz Orginal Fine car wax
Old turtle wax rubbing compound (blue metal can)

Liquid (bottles):
Meguires Fine Cut Cleaner
Nufinish
Mothers Carnuba Cleaner wax (old)
Kiwi Carnuba Liquid Car wax (old)
Turtle wax color back
No 7 auto polish and cleaner
Dupont Shield
Dupont rally car finsh restorer
Simoniz Super blue car wax
Finish 2000 car polish

Sprays:
Eagle one wax-as-u-dry
Optimum Polymer Technologies, Optimum Car Wax.

Let me know what I should throw away. I have too many partials laying around. Also let me know of the best ones listed.

Eagle one wax-as-u-dry

Only stuff that would touch my car from your list
coffee.gif

if you only have the Crown Vic:

Paste:
Simoniz Orginal Fine car wax

Liquid (bottles):
Turtle wax color back
No 7 auto polish and cleaner
Dupont Shield
Dupont rally car finsh restorer
Simoniz Super blue car wax
Finish 2000 car polish

Sprays:
Eagle one wax-as-u-dry

If you have other cars, keep it all....I use the old or "bad" stuff on the Galant...

If you have stuff that's more that 5 years old, I'd toss it. Replacement products are not that expensive and there's lots of new stuff on the market.

If you have a reasonably fresh polish product, keep that. Toss all the others, too much duplication. Keep either NuFinish or Finish 2001, whichever is fresher. Keep the OPT car wax. Keep Wax As U Dry unless it's several years old. Keep maybe one other product if it's something you bought within the past year, e.g. bought it last summer at the latest.

Think of it this way - you need 1 or 2 products that will restore shine, reduce swirl marks and scratches and bring out the gloss (polishes). You need 1 or 2 products at the most to use like a "wax", something that will add gloss and be a protectant. Lastly, you need 1 or 2 products that are used for maintaining the shine and protection between wax jobs. That's it, 3 products, 6 maximum. Everything else..... see ya!!!

Of the products you've listed, I'd probably keep the NuFinish, but like bretfraz said, I'd dump it all if it's more than a few years old.

Anyone know how Nu Finish holds up in areas like Canada..long cold winters, snow, salt, slush, rain etc?

What would work best for protecting the paint under those conditions..meaning lasting the longest?

Quote:

Anyone know how Nu Finish holds up in areas like Canada..long cold winters, snow, salt, slush, rain etc?

What would work best for protecting the paint under those conditions..meaning lasting the longest?

Nothing will last longer then the Nufinish. It is even advertised to protect against road chemicals and salt you find in winter driving. I use it on all door seems in the sheet metal and my 10 year old Tahoe looks new with no rust anywhere. Try the NuFinish and I'm sure you will be happy with it. The longest I have let a car go with out waxing was 9 months and it sat outside 24/7 and at the end of the 9 months the new finish was still beeding water like it was just applied...I have founs nothing that even comes clost to it's durrability.
Here is my 10 year old Tahoe. It is the only picture of it I have and it is dirty in it:
100_0197.jpg

Quote:

duragloss, klasse, zaino, optiseal, etc most of the high end sealants if applied properly will last a long long time.

or any other top end sealant, I still dislike NuFinish, its chemically harsh and very old school.

I don't buy into Nu Finish being harsh. There is a member here that posted pictures of his Jeep that was a 1989 IIRC and all he used was Nu Finish and it shined like it was new. Nu Finish is not hard on paint at all plus Nu finish has been reformulated over the years and it is not "old school" any more.

Quote:

I don't buy into Nu Finish being harsh. There is a member here that posted pictures of his Jeep that was a 1989 IIRC and all he used was Nu Finish and it shined like it was new. Nu Finish is not hard on paint at all plus Nu finish has been reformulated over the years and it is not "old school" any more.

its harsh due to the solvents, my hands get so dry afterwards and i hate the smell especially when working on cars in a garage. Plus yeah it's more durable then other OTC products but the depth isn't much better then OTC products. For the price Duragloss gives you an equally long lasting product that isn't so based on petroleum distillates yet gives you depth, wetness and shine. Also Duragloss doesn't dust and it doesnt stain trim.

I still relegate NuFinish to my rims, due to the fact that the high solvent content basically removes the harshest of brake dust and road tar. Yes the protection last a long time, but for the price...meh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back