My pour point test (MS5k vs Napa syn) @-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We need a 0W vs 5W test
laugh.gif

I don't imagine they would be DRASTICALLY different from each other...

Thanks for the video. It may not be scientific as the op stated but sure shows 5W-30 flows pretty good at those temps. My temps are going down tonight to -20 with a wind chill of -30. Getting to old for this nonsense.

In years past, (about 15 years ago) Mobil 1, 15W-50 poured almost exactly like that at -10. Today, it's a bit more viscous at those temps.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
So I left out a bottle of Napa Syn and MS5K (both 5w30) last night. The low was -12ish and it was -10 when I got them from outside.
I was surprised how they performed similarly in my test, in fact, (unscientifically) the MS5K looked thinner and poured slightly more easily. But they both flowed quite well. Take a look!

Thanks for the Video. You should have dipped a few spring rolls into the containers! lol Yummmy.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
In years past, (about 15 years ago) Mobil 1, 15W-50 poured almost exactly like that at -10. Today, it's a bit more viscous at those temps.

Was it mislabeled then?

Cool, nice to see someone exploring for themselves.

Interested in how the synthetic looks when it warms up...is it a little cloudy in the vids, or is that it's normal look ?

(Got bagged back in the day for doing "freezer" tests)...but was trying to see how mixes of SAE30 and 5W30 behaved compared to 10W30. Used a plastic sample bottle...1" diameter, 3" long, filled to the same mark, then tipped over at the same time, to see how (if), they formed a shear surface (indicative of wax), and how long (comparatively) they took to "race" to the other end.

(Prompted my son to get me another multimeter for Father's Day, as mine was "always in the freezer"...type K thermocouple).

BTW, Nulon 25W60 flows like that at 10C...

Like the Mobil vid, try standardising on container (hot sauce bottles are good - no tobasco, bottles with a regular size opening)...are a size that you could rig a tipping stick.

Yes, the Napa syn was cloudy. I thought that was strange. I'll try to find some others to do comparisons.
And my phone wouldn't let me upload to youtube this time in HD, sorry!
What does the multimeter do??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back