My new toy!

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Bought myself a Timegrapher.
Using it to regulate my automatic watches. The results on the screen are for a Seiko NH 35a in an Invicta 1953.
20230315_222009.jpg

I have an NH25, the successor to the NH15 and pre NH35, that also measures wonderful time keeping(about -2 s/d) on a friends Weishi 1000 timegrapher. I love the NH series of Seiko movements.

Last edited:
I really like a YouTube series called Wristwatch Revival. There are others too, what they do is take apart and repair old watches and most of them utilize excellent macro photography to follow the process.

Anyway, most of them have Timegraphers to do a before and after test or to do final calibrations. It's really fascinating to watch them go through the process and you can see why getting a professional service on a valuable mechanical watch is an expensive undertaking.

I also like “Wristwatch Revival“ and another is “Vintage Watch Services“ out of Switzerland. A Finn named Theum dose a great job as well as does “My Retro Watches” out of the UK.

I used to watch “Watch Repair Channel” out of Australia but he hasn’t done a video in a long time. This is where Marshal from “Wristwatch Revival” learned his craft by taking the courses.

”Watch Repair Channel” has online courses.

Last edited:
These timegraphers somehow measure time so well they can readout how accurate any watch is THEN you can adjust yours to close-to-perfect operation?
I never heard of such a thing.....WAY COOL.
The reason I bought one is I have 5 watches that run a frustratingly slow -3 -5 seconds a day. Much better at + 1 or 2 seconds a day. I bought it to maybe regulate watches for some pocket change for doing something i enjoy.

My favorite uncle was a watchmaker. If you brought him a teacup with all the loose parts of a watch in the morning he'd hand you the watch keeping (almost) perfect time in the afternoon. He had a device that I believe was a Vibrograph, although after 1/3 of a century I don't remember absolutely any more, and that was part of the process. His number one recommendation was Accutron with Seiko a close second. He'd work on Rolex but said they couldn't be made to keep as accurate time and just had the best PR and snob appeal.

I have an NH25, the successor to the NH15 and pre NH35, that also measures wonderful time keeping(about -2 s/d) on a friends Weishi 1000 timegrapher. I love the NH series of Seiko movements.
Just received a Seiko SRPG27 with the (NH36) 4R36 caliber. It's my first Seiko automatic.
How does someone adjust the gain or loss of time?
seiko.jpg

Just received a Seiko SRPG27 with the (NH36) 4R36 caliber. It's my first Seiko automatic.
How does someone adjust the gain or loss of time?View attachment 145222

Adjustment is beyond the ability of a non-watchmaker. Adjustment involves the modification of watch parts and how they interact. For example, you would have to regrind and polish balance wheel pivots. Adjustment is performed to make a movement run with the smallest possible daily error in 5 or 6 positions (face up, face, down, crown down, crown up, crown left, crown right) and possibly even under different temperatures. Most watch movements are unadjusted and you will often find the term 'unadjusted' on the movement or in the movement description.

Regulation is the fine-tuning of timekeeping on a watch movement and can be done by anyone with a little bit of practice and understanding of what's going on. You need a few tools and supplies:

- caseback opener
- something like a properly-sized watchmaker's screwdriver to manipulate the regulator and possibly the stud carrier
- new oaseback o-ring
- 0-ring lubricant
- Rodico cleaning gum to pick up debris and to clean O-ring/caseback/case interface.
- you may need a magnifier of some sort depending on your closeup vision.
- timegrapher device or timegrapher app and microphone

Things you need to know about the movement so you can set up the timegrapher:

Beat rate: The frequency of the movement, commonly between 18,000 (2.5 Hz) and 36,000 beats (5Hz), Timegraphers usually detect the beat rate automatically.
Lift Angle: The angle is a number stated in a movement's spec sheet and is required to measure the amplitude of the movement. The amplitude is the arc the balance wheel travels and indicates if the power delivery is strong. A low amplitude can indicate high friction (cleaning/service needed) an and overly high amplitude can indicate magnetization. Contrary to popular belief, magnetized watch movements run fast not slow.

A watch with a lever escapement, the most common type of escapement, makes a ticking sound. That's due to its time-keeping mechanism which is made up of the balance wheel that oscillates rapidly back and forth. An anchor-looking device, called a balance fork is attached to the balance wheel and turns this bi-directional motion into a unidirectional motion that drives the escape wheel.You can check this out on Wikipedia. They have a nice drawing and animation right here. You may also check out this link.

When the two impulse jewels of the pallet engage and release the escape wheel they create the typical ticking sound a watch makes. A timegrapher listens to this ticking sound and measures the time between them.

Regulating a watch:

The two things you measure and regulate with a timegrapher are

-Rate = deviation in sec/day. This is manipulated on the regulator pin or on a screw that commonly has a graduated scale marked with + and -. There are fancier ways of regulation directly on the balance wheel that require very complex tools. By moving the regulator pin you shorten or lengthen the hairspring of the balance wheel. Depending on the movement and your patience you should be able to regulate the watch to within a couple of seconds of =-0 sec/day error. However, unless you know how to adjust a watch, you will be stuck with regulating your watch in one or two unadjusted positions and finding a happy medium. For example, I regulate my watches in two: face up, and crown down. It is also useful to figure out in which positions your watch runs fastest and slowest. You can use that knowledge to let your watch speed up or slow down overnight on your nightstand.

-Beat error = difference in the back and forth rotation of the balance wheel. Unless the beat error is extreme it does not affect how accurately and precisely the watch is running but it does affect wear and should be minimized. Beat error is adjusted with the regulator pin on the mobile stud carrier. Be warned, adjusting the beat error will greatly affect the rate.

Me too...very interesting. My Seiko automatics are really inaccurate and when I googled, they're within spec lol (I own a swiss chronometer in my dreams)
Well, what are your expectations, and are they realistic? :)

COSC*-certified is one industry standard: -4 to +6sec/day or a spread of no more than 10 sec/day measured in 5 positions and at three temperatures over the course of at least 14 days.

+/- a couple of seconds is as good as it gets for the most part. Just because a watch is 5 seconds fast one day doesn't mean it's 10 seconds fast after 48 hours. Watches go faster and slower in waves. The rate, at least with an automatic, and less so with a hand-winding movement, depends on your activity level, in which position your watch is, and on temperature. A watch that is 30 seconds fast after 3 days may be spot on after two weeks. It's funny, in order to regulate a watch to the best of your abilities you have to suffer from OCD but in order to enjoy your watch you must not fall prey to your OCD.

Rather than looking at the daily rate I'd look at the monthly rate. You'll be fine if you don't have to set your watch more than once a month when you will likely have to pull the crown to change the date anyway.

*Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres

Currently, the most precise and accurate mechanical watch movement is the Omega caliber 9920. Guaranteed between 0 to +2 sec/day. METAS-certified. While COSC-certification is only about the movement, METAS certification includes COSC certification but better than 0 to +5secday plus a rigorous test of the fully assembled watch. Try regulating that sucker's Spirate System yourself.

Caliber 9920

Last edited:
Me too...very interesting. My Seiko automatics are really inaccurate and when I googled, they're within spec lol (I own a swiss chronometer in my dreams)
For $200 I'm not expecting $20,000 time keeping.

You'll need a very clean room with dust-free air if you want to open your watch without ill effects. When using a timegrapher with the watch open there must be no airflow that might disturb the balance wheel. No sound, no breathing near the open watch, no kids running. No cats. That's a hairy disaster right there. Don't ask me how I know.

For $200 I'm not expecting $20,000 time keeping.
objectively speaking, +45 sec or -35 sec per day means it needs to be set daily (4R35 caliber). A stark contrast to +/- 2 sec., which could potentially go a month or at least 2 weeks without needing to be set.

To flip what you say, if you are expecting it with the Seiko, you won't get $23 Casio accuracy either.

objectively speaking, +45 sec or -35 sec per day means it needs to be set daily (4R35 caliber). A stark contrast to +/- 2 sec., which could potentially go a month or at least 2 weeks without needing to be set.

To flip what you say, if you are expecting it with the Seiko, you won't get $23 Casio accuracy either.
Ok...my statement still stands that in general the more you spend the more accurate the movement. Is +45 to -35sec per day good? No, but that is the spec given by Seiko and it's not like someone can say they didn't know it was a possibility meaning there are two options - don't buy a Seiko with that movement or fiddle around with it using the technique

Back