My New Autel Code Scan Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a unique Autel Code scanner to upgrade from the basic $15 code reader I had for many years. The model is called DIAGLINK and it is marketed as the DIY Version of their full fledged MD802 model.

The Diaglink is for the homeowner who only maintains a few vehicle brands. It is NOT for the car enthusiast that is neighborhood mechanic and/or tinkers on many different brands. You get one free vehicle brand software download. You can buy as many more as you wish for $10 each. At some point, the MD802 becomes a better choice.

The Diaglink has been on sale weekly on Amazon's "lightning sale" for $87 with 2 day free delivery. The full fledged MD802 can be found for about $180 to $209, but beware there are 2 MD802 versions : 4 systems (OBD,TCM,ABS,SRS) and ALL Systems (all available electronic systems...HVAC, Body, TPMS...10-15 depending on vehicle). The Diaglink is "All Systems".

This is a pretty powerful scanner for $87, IF you think you only need a few vehicle brands. It is a computer, so like all computers it might be obsolete in 5 years or so.

I put it through its paces and am satisfied with its operation and value. It is not bidirectional nor pro level, and all that infers. Software updates are now free on Autel handheld units.

I will be glad to answer any questions. I learned a lot during my research of similar Innova, Bosch (Actron,OTC), Autel, and Launch products.

Some what unrelated but I know a few years ago Amazon had problems with a lot of fake (clones) of Autel scanners. I don't know if the problem is still occurring but it's still a possibility.

Always a possibility and probably more prevalent on Ebay than Amazon. None the less, its always buyer beware.

In this case, the Amazon seller (MotorZone) claims to be an authorized Autel dealer. And, in order to use the unit, you have to go to Autel's website and register both the serial number and a unique registration number. This registration number is installed in the unit, which you have to access in order to complete the online registration.

I went with the MD802 All system version, the MaxiDiag Elite. It replaced my 16 year old Mac tools quickie reader. I am very impressed by its capabilites, I own a shop so I use this tool frequently for quick scans, or brake jobs where I need to retract the parking brake. It will do full system scans on any car, for the BMW and Mercedes I work with this can be 30-40 modules. It can also reset service intervals, I just did a 2012 911 and Cayenne the other day, plus any of the maintenace lights on the I drive for BMW. For $210 its well worth it. My only complaint is that it cant do activations, turn on cooling fans, or send power to AC compressor, but my MaxiSys can handle that, albeit for a lot more money.

It should be noted the Autel no longer charges for updates to their handheld scanners, including the very capable Maxidiag Elite.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
It should be noted the Autel no longer charges for updates to their handheld scanners, including the very capable Maxidiag Elite.

Thats great to know! I also have an older MaxiDAS thats about 5 years old, do you think theyll honor it for an older scanner? Or just factored into the new price?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is the screen in color ? Also, what kind of data PIDs does it display ?

The screen is in color. It's not very big.

What data PIDs does it display? I don't know the answer. It will scan all the generic/standard/global OBDII codes that are used universally. The brand specific PIDs varies by brand and model year, which is true for all Innova, Bosch-Actron, and other aftermarket scanners. The only way to guarantee capturing all brand specific PIDs is to use an OEM scanner @ thousands of dollars.

This scanner breaks up the major electrical systems into: powertrain, body, chassis, and radio/info systems. PCU,TCU,ABS,SRS,HVAC,TIPM,and MANY others. It supposedly reads "all" brand supported electrical systems. While playing with mine, I was surprised to read the refrigerant pressure. Obvious things like tranny & coolant temp., battery and ignition voltage, tire pressure, switch settings, etc. are there. You can go to some of the scanner websites and dig deeper into what functions are supported (some are hard to decipher).

It seems that Innova and Autel are updated to about 2014 or 2015. The Bosch-Actron units have not been updated past 2013. This can vary by model. I get the impression that Chrysler lets out their data more freely. Ford is stingy in sharing and GM is in between those two.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
What data PIDs does it display? I don't know the answer.

I was just curious to know if it'll read fuel trim numbers and stuff like that.
grin2.gif

I'm not with my vehicle now to give it a try, but a Google search shows that it does. Keep in mind that results vary by vehicle mfg.. Even The Critic mentions this in his Autel review of his $1,600 model. I will have to play with mine some more.
grin.gif

Here's a video showing fuel trim data at about minute 1:30+:

Another link of a guy that eeked out much more data by using a work around. Look at all the data!!!
https://aston1936.com/2016/04/11/live-da...ii-code-reader/

This guy shows fuel trim on his JAG: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=76323

This Sales Sheet mentions shows a fuel trim screen (the left model): http://www.interequip.com.au/images/P5-P6 Diagnostic.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back