My Honda Accord...major blowby..or..? (vid inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Is there any type of rocker cover vent tube on this engine or just the PCV?

This might indicate a couple of tight valves. They probably seal ok exactly at TDC, but start to open/close prematurely.

I recently performed the valve adjustment procedure.

OK, what about the valve cover vent tube? I don't remember the setup my 95 Accord had, but many engines have a PVC and a tube that goes from the top of the valve cover, usually a corner, to the intake tract. It might be clogged.

At idle and engine normally produces a small amount of blow-by and the pcv system draws the vapours into the intake manifold by pulling air into the engine from the intake track and through the engine and finally to the intake manifold. If the engine cannot draw air from the intake plenum [plugged hose mentioned above] the pcv system will create a vacuum inside the engine. This appears to the opposite of what is happening here.

I like to see it confirmed this engine is really blowing air out of the oil filler hole. A video of a paper towel stuck to the hood isn't the best indication.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
At idle and engine normally produces a small amount of blow-by and the pcv system draws the vapours into the intake manifold by pulling air into the engine from the intake track and through the engine and finally to the intake manifold. If the engine cannot draw air from the intake plenum [plugged hose mentioned above] the pcv system will create a vacuum inside the engine. This appears to the opposite of what is happening here.

I like to see it confirmed this engine is really blowing air out of the oil filler hole. A video of a paper towel stuck to the hood isn't the best indication.

Um...

The air coming out of the oil fill is HOLDING the paper towel against the bottom of the hood!

Try this:
1. Replace oil cap
2. Disconnect hose through which fresh air for the PCV system is supposed to be sucked into the valve cover (or whatever).
3. Check whether there's actually NET air flow into the disconnected plumbing. You can do that by briefly blocking the intake to see whether there's suction, or holding the mouth of a partially inflated plastic bag snugly over the end of the hose (or pipe or nipple, whatever it is). The engine should suck air out of the bag.

If air is indeed entering, the PCV system is probably OK and you don't have massive blowby.

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
... The air coming out of the oil fill is HOLDING the paper towel against the bottom of the hood!
That proves very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back