My Garage Door Spring Has Sprung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine went out. Door guy came out and replaced it lickity split. The $200 charge for a new spring AND installation is very reasonable.

I DIYed my parent's door for $180ish in parts and a impact driver off Amazon. I decided to overhaul the cables, bearings and rollers as well.

I have a feeling my parents will need a new door in the next 5 years - the hinges in this door aren't replaceable. Overhead Door doesn't sell their plastic hinges as aftermarket service parts.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
One spring for a double garage door? I'd go with two, smaller springs, on each side. That way, if one does break, you can probably still be able to lift the door up.

Just one spring for a 9x7 door

People here complain about being charged $30 for labor to do an oil change, but they're ok with $125 in labor for garage springs? Lol. Neither one is more dangerous than the other.

These snag about every 5 years on average (depending on usage of coarse). You (the homeowner) are also supposed to spray lubricate them once a year.
At my old house I was there 22 years and had to replace my main spring three times.

I have had either Raynor of Overhead Door garage doors for over forty years and have never had a spring break. Either one of those companies or an independent can get your door repaired pronto.

Check out garagedoornation.com They make it very easy to order and have a great DIY video. Just be careful and it's relatively safe. I did my first one a few months back using them and it works great. Got the tools for next time too.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I have had either Raynor of Overhead Door garage doors for over forty years and have never had a spring break. Either one of those companies or an independent can get your door repaired pronto.

I was referring to the torsion spring type that wind up on a shaft that goes across the top from side to side right at the bulkhead, not the traditional two big springs that are on both sides of the door. Normally those work great for single doors and can last almost a lifetime. But the torsion wind up kind, even with better steel, normally only last from 5 to 8 years depending on usage. They can also be very dangerous to replace if you don't exactly follow the right winding technique.

Do any of you have any preference as to where to buy the torsion springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back