My first tractor

I bought my first tractor 2 days ago. It's a old half worn out Ford 3600. All I plan on doing is bush hogging, maybe a garden and I have a boom arm for dragging logs out of the way. Im in the process of changing all the fluids and fixing a few things to get it in some kind of reliable shape.
I changed the motor oil that called for 30 weight with 15w40. I can't find a definitive answer for what it calls for in the transmission. Some people say hydrologic fluid but I found one reference to using 10w30 motor oil. That is what I bought. I'm not sure this is correct. Would it even really matter cause I've seen the same thing in a jeep yj, it calls for 2 or 3 different fluids. 10w30, atf or mtl90.

We have a 4110 and use just regular universal tractor hydraulic fluid but the Hy-Tran is a lot better but for Case-IH. The 15w40 is an excellent choice for it, really any HDEO would work, in the winter you could get by with 10w30 or 5w40 and I've even mixed them before depending on what I have on hand. I think really the biggest issue is using at least a synthetic blend at the minimum, ours starts a lot easier now that I've switched it over, full synthetic is the best but found the semi is a good tradeoff and still helps cold starting tremendously.

Back