My First Cordless Tools

Christmas gift from oldest son and his family. I'm delighted. I'm a late adopter ... looks like I missed 7.2 V NiCads.

Good timing too, with both my 30-year-old corded drill and 24-year-old impact gun near the end of the road.

20221227_111549.jpg

Nice! I went Makita but the Milwauke’s sure seem to have a following.

Too handy, too low cost these days to not have a set. When I did some framing recently I did not bother with using nails, I went straight for construction screws—and my 18V Makita. Quick work of the job.

That's older brushed technology but will still work reasonably well. You'll see somewhat improved performance from the drill with larger batteries, but the impact driver will do well on the 1.5s. Enjoy!

When you get sick of Milwaukee's keyless chucks Rohm makes a nice replacement :D

from that picture looks like you need to adopt a late model smartphone too ;).

I really like milwaukee's tools and the wide variety of them.. their batteries are probably the worst part for long term use.

from that picture looks like you need to adopt a late model smartphone too ;).

I really like milwaukee's tools and the wide variety of them.. their batteries are probably the worst part for long term use.
That photo was uncharacteristically poor ... not sure why.

Nice gift! Once you start using them, you will wonder why you didn't switch over to cordless much sooner.

I've been using Milwaukee cordless tools for several years now. The maintenance department at the manufacturing plant I used to work in, switched from Dewalt tools to Milwaukee. The difference was night and day. drill stopped instantly upon letting off the trigger, instead of coasting forever. The chuck on the Milwaukee tools could actually hold a bit tight, instead of constantly slipping like the Dewalt, and having to retighten time and again.

After experiencing the difference, several years ago I treated myself to a Milwaukee drill/driver combo for Christmas. Have never regretted it. In fact, I recently added a cordless 18v jig saw.

Hope you get plenty of use out of the set.

The above poster exists in a parallel universe because Milwaukee's keyless chucks are notoriously terrible.

I must have at least six Milwaukee drills in my shop and they've all been converted to Rohm. I tried to live with the stock chucks but they would all eventually lock up/fail/hold poorly

The above poster exists in a parallel universe because Milwaukee's keyless chucks are notoriously terrible.

I must have at least six Milwaukee drills in my shop and they've all been converted to Rohm. I tried to live with the stock chucks but they would all eventually lock up/fail/hold poorly
That's too bad. I have never had that problem, and I have used a number of Milwaukee drills. Besides my own, I used several of the Milwaukee drills that were in the shop. Whatever one was available. The drills always locked up in the chucks.

From when we used DeWalt drills, our drill drawer was full of drills that had galling on the chuck end, from spinning in the DeWalt chucks. It got to the point that I had to pay attention to how I positioned a bit in the chuck, so big raised spots on the drill went between the chuck jaws.

Back