My '95 Civic, Auto-Rx treatment and photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm aboot 2500 miles into my Auto-Rx treatment phase- my third time- in my '95 Civic. Since there has been some discussion regarding going beyond 2500 miles, I figured I would snap a photo of what my oil looks like so far:

00328.jpg

As you can see, the oil ain't too dark yet and I do expect the rinse phase to darken quicker if there's anything for it to grab. Admittedly the valvetrain area appears quite clean anyway, likely because of prior ARX treatments and using LC20 on a regular basis between ARX'ings. Vehicle has 99,000+ miles on the clock.

I finally got around to having an account so I can upload photos, no better place I could find for now except here (does that mean I'm warped??? :)

Looks good. The valve train looks pretty good too. I dont think your going to have much issue during the rinse phase.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The valve train looks pretty good too.

Let me get my endoscope. I forgot to bring my X-ray goggles.

Is ARX really necessary for that Civic ?

You will get 500K miles out of your car with just regular maintenance, its a HONDA !!!

Looks fine, relatively dark for 2500 miles.

I like the ARX alot, but I am also curious as to why the 3 cycles.

Last edited:
The first treatment was at 53,000 miles, the second around 74,000 miles or so; not three-in-a-row. Sorry if I misled y'all.

Yeah, I may extend it to 3K miles but I'm also planning OCI's out this year for personal reasons.

I wish I had a borescope with a camera but those things are $$$$!!!!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Have you taken the valve cover off and snapped any pictures ?

No, but I may do so after the rinse phase on this treatment. Seriously considering it even though from what I can see everything is nice and shiny-bright.

I should add that for the past three or so years I've been using AMSOIL, first ASL and now HDD; before that it was M1. Purchased the car in late '03 with aboot 33,000 miles.

Methinks the Auto-Rx will be able to focus itself mainly on cleaning nooks and crannies such as ring packs, et cetera.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

For the most part if the valves look good the rest of the engine looks the same....ive have yet to see spotless valves with messed up ring packs and bottom end.

Crashbox, auto-rx did the same to my 94 Civic with over 200k miles. That is, nothing visible. Oil darkened at the usual rate, no faster or darker. No visible changes from the oil fill hole. No change in fuel consumption or oil consumption.

Perhaps some engine designs benefit more from auto-rx treatment than others.
21.gif

The one thing I DID notice during the very first ARX treatment phase way-back-when is the engine began running notably smoother and has continued to do so. The oil consumption dropped to *ZERO* as well!

Yeah, maybe Honda engines are relatively easy on the oil by their design... Then again, I don't drive the little tin-can wonder very hard.

It will be interesting if the rinse phase reveals something but I'm not holding my breath on it because of what I see on top through the 710 hole- no deleterious substances.

For the most part if the valves look good the rest of the engine looks the same....ive have yet to see spotless valves with messed up ring packs and bottom end.

You know me too well. I just have to push ARX at any opportunity.

Mori you made the identical mistake I did the first time I used Rx which is pretty weird, you did it with Delvac 1. I have learn't a lot since then and now very fussy which oil I use Rx with, no ester or PAO.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Mori you made the identical mistake I did the first time I used Rx which is pretty weird, you did it with Delvac 1. I have learn't a lot since then and now very fussy which oil I use Rx with, no ester or PAO.

I'm not sure what my experience with A-Rx has to do with this thread. Also, I did not use Delvac 1, but T&SUV for the "cleaning cycle." The "rinse cycle" was done with Delo 400.

My initial comment in this thread referred to me being unable to see the "valve train" through the filler hole.

Originally Posted By: sprintman

My initial comment in this thread referred to me being unable to see the "valve train" through the filler hole.

No doubt, I was wondering how this was determined based on the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back