My '02 530i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought it in 2006 with 30k miles one the clock. Overall it's a decent car and handles well, but the upkeep is a little on the high side, especially if you don't DIY.

date / mileage / action
11/04/06 30,150 Purchased
11/04/06 30,150 Oil and filter change, Mobil1 5w-30
11/12/06 30,630 Dunlop SP Maxx 235/45/17 put on, alignment done
11/12/06 30,650 Rubber seal around front windshield replaced
11/27/06 31,150 Cabin and engine air filters replaced, CDV removed
01/12/07 31,915 AutoRx added
02/03/07 32,917 Alignment (modified specs to reduce floating) and tire rotation
02/26/07 33,578 Oil and filter change, Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 (AutoRx rinse)
04/14/07 35,800 Final stage unit (64-11-6-923-204) replaced
06/02/07 37,400 Oil and filter change, Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (GC gold)
06/29/07 38,040 Replaced MID (BMW goodwill), suspension inspected, headlight range inspected
07/11/07 38,348 - replaced thrust arms and bushings
- replaced trans fluid (RP Synchromax)
- replaced diff fluid (Redline 75w-90 GL-5
- replaced brake fluid (DOT 4)
- replaced power steering fluid and reservoir
- replaced coolant
- replaced wiper blade inserts
- replaced passenger seat occupancy sensor
- fixed passenger power seat
- replaced missing lift support pads in the rear
10/27/07 42,185 replaced spark plugs (NGK BKR6EQUP, 23 ft-lb torque)
11/02/07 42,410 replaced thermostat, refill and bleed cooling system
11/03/07 42,460 Oil and filter change, Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (GC gold)
12/19/07 44,100 Front pads (Akebono Euro) and rotors (OEM) replaced

Rear pads and rotors will have to be replaced soon as well. I also had a trace of coolant in my last UOA sample, and it looks like I'm losing coolant at a very very slow rate. This could be either a leaking (ever so slightly) water pump or I may need a new head gasket. Whichever one it is, it won't be cheap to replace. I'm waiting to take another UOA sample before I start dumping $$$$ into it.

I'm averaging around 25 mpg on premium gas in leasurely mixed hwy/city driving, which I think is not bad for a 3-liter engine.

Here are a few mandatory pics...

Nice. Looks like your car is well maintained both inside and out. I like how the gas pedal is on the floor rather than hang down kind. I see you have a black iPod in there to match the car. What kind of wax you use? Can't see in the pic, but does the dash still have that analog fuel economy meter?

Thanks. The last couple of times, I took it to a professional detailer because when I bought it, a lot of light scratches and oxidation was showing in the paint. He buffed it out and then applied some kind of a teflon-based wax product. Not exactly sure what brand it was. Recently I bought 1Z (Einszett) Glanz Wax because I want to start waxing it myself, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

And yes, the analog fuel economy gauge is there, in the bottom part of the tachometer. It's a bit optimistic though. There is also a digital one in the OBC.

Pete,
Looks great! very (berry) nice!
any reason why you chose 1Z and not something like klasse? Just curious.

PS: did you ever consider removing the empty front vanity plate from the bumper? I guess it's not too bad 'cause the car is also black.
On my Tbird, the empty front vanity plate looks like a big obtrusion, pain in the eye...I'm gonna remove it pretty soon, along with getting clear white inner parking bulbs for a cleaner look (right now that part lights up amber due to the bulb being amber (someday clear corner park/turn light covers, too...hopefully)
I think removing those vanity plates makes the front end (of any car) look much cleaner, esp when the car is light colored.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I chose 1Z after the recommendations of some AudiWorld guys which I keep in high regard. If I don't like it, I'll switch to something else I guess.

As for the license plate holder... well, it looks like I'll be moving soon to a state that requires a front license plate, so I will need it.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I love BMW seats!

if you think those are nice, you gotta spend some time in a Volvo! I've owned BMW's too, but no car maker makes them nearly as comfy and supportive as Volvo does!

(well except for the 07 Caddy STS I had last summer, those seats were the closest in comparison to the Volvo seats I've ever experienced)

But I gotta admit, those 5 series' are very nice little cars

The secret to reasonable BMW running costs is doing most of the work yourself and being a BMW Car Club member - that membership can get you nice discounts on parts, service and when buying a new Bimmer.

I had to do some work on my wife's 2002 Tahoe (front brake pads and 1 front wheel bearing) and the parts for those repairs were absolutely ridiculous. Made the BMW look like an economy car!Cheers!!

Welcome to BMW ownership. Wait till it hits 70k. Then the big bucks get shelled out.

Signed,

97 M3 Sedan 5-speed owner

"They all do it" - most common phrase

Worst part is it is stupid stuff, not high performance related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back