Musk Says Tesla ‘Dug Our Own Grave’ With The Cybertruck

Correct me here, but those notches in the tires fit the hub cap extensions. Those hubcaps look like they have lug holes. Does this mean that the tire will have to be keyed onto the rim for the whole thing to line up properly? Or are the “lugs or spokes”on the covers for decoration only?
I wondered this too. That can't be an easy process to align unless they are keyed as you mention. As a person that likes to modify and use different tires, that would be instantly out the window trying to go to another tire and losing the caps. Also any play in that key process that wouldn't allow the tire to perfectly align with the cap would take my OCD to catastrophic levels.

While an impressive feat, it wasn't what Elon said it was.

WOW!
I just saw this, you should have titled it, "Proof that Elon Musk Lies about his products"
Not the first time, lie, misleading, inaccurate statements by the CEO of the most well known "Premier EV Manufacturer"
Despicable desperation?

Forget the vast majority of the post and simply listen to Elon Musk recorded video. Leading everyone to believe this was a typical 1/4 mile, not modified 1/8th mile race using Porsche slowest version of the car.
Im quite honestly shocked, yet, not surprised if that makes any sense.

WOW!
I just saw this, you should have titled it, "Proof that Elon Musk Lies about his products"
Not the first time, lie, misleading, inaccurate statements by the CEO of the most well known "Premier EV Manufacturer"
Despicable desperation?

Forget the vast majority of the post and simply listen to Elon Musk recorded video. Leading everyone to believe this was a typical 1/4 mile, not modified 1/8th mile race using Porsche slowest version of the car.
True, but think about how ridiculous that statement is. We're comparing a more expensive base 911 to a pickup truck which happens to be faster in a straight line in the 1/8. What a world we're living in. As you mentioned he never said it was 1/4 mile, though it seems that was somehow implied.

True, but think about how ridiculous that statement is. We're comparing a more expensive base 911 to a pickup truck which happens to be faster in a straight line in the 1/8. What a world we're living in. As you mentioned he never said it was 1/4 mile, though it seems that was somehow implied.
Huh?
Unless I am miss reading your post. I dont see how though. You say Musk never said it can beat a Porsche in 1/4 mile? that is incorrect in the video at 1:15 minute mark it shows clearly Elon Musk saying it can beat the 911 in the 1/4 mile.

But the Video shows the truck beating the Porsche in 1/8 of a mile. It cant beat the Porsche in 1/4 mile and if it could, it was never proven in the video that Tesla themselves provided. They misled everyone to think that was a 1/4 mile run.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.11.08 PM.jpg

Watch the video again and notice at the 1 minute 15 second mark, these are Musks comment yet the video doesnt show that.

Not debating, just surprised as these are his words but he shows a video at the 1/8 mile and not the 1/4 mile, using the non automatic manual Porsche who's power comes in even stronger after the 1/8 mile depending on who is shifting. If he choose a like model Porsche 911 with the automatic that doesnt need shifting like his truck, well never mind :) I agree talking about a truck and a Porsche is silly but Tesla brought it up and misled the public right from the CEO mouth.
This is what bothers me, I actually liked Musk but one thing for sure I learned about life, if you catch someone misleading or lying, it shows their character and it is a way of life for them, meaning never trust that person again. This is the Tesla CEO.

Last edited:
Huh?
Unless I am miss reading your post. I dont see how though. You say Musk never said it can beat a Porsche in 1/4 mile? that is incorrect in the video at 1:15 minute mark it shows clearly Elon Musk saying it can beat the 911 in the 1/4 mile.

But the Video shows the truck beating the Porsche in 1/8 of a mile. It cant beat the Porsche in 1/4 mile and if it could, it was never proven in the video that Tesla themselves provided. They misled everyone to think that was a 1/4 mile run.

View attachment 209102
Watch the video again and notice at the 1 minute 15 second mark, these are Musks comment yet the video doesnt show that.

Not debating, just surprised as these are his words but he shows a video at the 1/8 mile and not the 1/4 mile, using the non automatic manual Porsche who's power comes in even stronger after the 1/8 mile depending on who is shifting. If he choose a like model Porsche 911 with the automatic that doesnt need shifting like his truck, well never mind :) I agree talking about a truck and a Porsche is silly but Tesla brought it up and misled the public right from the CEO mouth.
This is what bothers me, I actually liked Musk but one thing for sure I learned about life, if you catch someone misleading or lying, it shows their character and it is a way of life for them, meaning never trust that person again. This is the Tesla CEO.
I didn't realize he ever actually said it. My only exposure to the video clip is how they did the F150 tug of war. Just popped up on the internet and I thought that's what everything thought was implied. I don't pay much attention to him directly. I keep my Elon exposure relatively low. Not by design, it just works out that way since I don't go on X/twitter or whatever it's called this week and I haven't really paid any attention to any of the new release videos that Tesla/Apple/Samsung and others do that follow this format.

For a Tesla owner I wouldn't say I'm anti Elon, but he plays a very small part in my daily life even though I'm driving the car his company sells. I'm not a fan of his antics and from what you're saying here those antics just keep continuing.

Finally saw one in the flesh yesterday. Man it’s a weird duck.

Same, I was with a few friends when I saw one in the Chicago suburbs last week. It looks smaller than in pictures and looks like some sort of lego kit.

For a Tesla owner I wouldn't say I'm anti Elon, but he plays a very small part in my daily life even though I'm driving the car his company sells. I'm not a fan of his antics and from what you're saying here those antics just keep continuing.

Sure. He's a showman. In no manner would I ever believe that he would personally be looking at software with any real proficiency nor doing any engineering work. There are competent people who do that. I guess I'd say he was more like John Hammond in Jurassic Park. The flamboyant head of the organization and often an idea man, but smart enough to hire people to do the real technical work.

I didn't realize he ever actually said it. My only exposure to the video clip is how they did the F150 tug of war. Just popped up on the internet and I thought that's what everything thought was implied. I don't pay much attention to him directly. I keep my Elon exposure relatively low. Not by design, it just works out that way since I don't go on X/twitter or whatever it's called this week and I haven't really paid any attention to any of the new release videos that Tesla/Apple/Samsung and others do that follow this format.

All is good, I figured it may have been something that was missed.
Most people including me do not buy a product based on who the CEO is, it just this CEO puts himself in the public spotlight all the time.
As YPW says, I agree, he is a showman and knows who to hire to get his visions carried out. It really has no bearing on the product if it is what one wants. After all the CEO is simply that. An employee of the board of directors, I honestly believe, at this point, with all the people Musk has put into place to make Tesla what it is, that Tesla would be better off with him out of the way now so they can produce vehicles that really matter. Boy when I think of the resources Tesla put into that truck, if they were only diverted to a nice affordable midsize 3 row SUV that Americans love... well... what do I know, Musk makes more money in a minute than I make in a year *LOL*

WOW!
Despicable desperation?

Jason Fenske from engineering explained broke it down. Car and driver and road and track posted a quicker 0-60 1/8 and 1/4 mile time with the same porsche used. Tesla had if you watch the video a person who wasn't good driving a manual transmission was in the vehicle. If Tesla wanted to be fair ( why would they?) They would have used a pdk vehicle with Similar horsepower. This is why I have zero respect for Tesla and musk.

Most people including me do not buy a product based on who the CEO is, it just this CEO puts himself in the public spotlight all the time.
As YPW says, I agree, he is a showman and knows who to hire to get his visions carried out. It really has no bearing on the product if it is what one wants. After all the CEO is simply that. An employee of the board of directors, I honestly believe, at this point, with all the people Musk has put into place to make Tesla what it is, that Tesla would be better off with him out of the way now so they can produce vehicles that really matter. Boy when I think of the resources Tesla put into that truck, if they were only diverted to a nice affordable midsize 3 row SUV that Americans love... well... what do I know, Musk makes more money in a minute than I make in a year *LOL*
Musk already admitted to putting 10 projects on hold just to get the dumpster fire cybertruck out the door. Four years late at that. Something like 10 billion was spent on it in total. What a boondoggle.

You're probably right on the 3 row SUV. It might not be for me but that would have been a huge seller, especially when the small Model Y has done so well. The Model X and Cybertruck are novelty creations. The Model S was somewhat there to be different. The Model 3 and Y make a lot more sense as useable vehicles. I think they're missing a piece of the market by doing these things instead of larger mid size SUV as much as it pains me to say it. I would still much rather have that instead of a truck somewhat in name only.

Jason Fenske from engineering explained broke it down. Car and driver and road and track posted a quicker 0-60 1/8 and 1/4 mile time with the same porsche used. Tesla had if you watch the video a person who wasn't good driving a manual transmission was in the vehicle. If Tesla wanted to be fair ( why would they?) They would have used a pdk vehicle with Similar horsepower. This is why I have zero respect for Tesla and musk.
I get what you were saying here but this was to be a novelty marketing stunt from the get go. Every one of this truck has been. They aren't sanctioned tests, they were in house handled videos so there wasn't really an inclination to keep it 100% honest. It was to get people talking and it's pretty apparent that was successful.

I'm always impressed with his analysis, and it's been several months since I watched the video breaking this down.

At the end of the day, it's impressive to me that the CT, for all of its many faults, is even able to keep pace with something like a modern 911(no matter the trim) while pulling a similar car. That's worth bragging about in and of itself in my mind.

Anyone who has read my posts in EV threads knows that I'm no fan of the loud-mouthed individual who has such a fragile ego that he was upset at not being called a "founder" of the EV company that he didn't start that he went to court to be called a "founder." This is just another example of the same thing-just like he couldn't be content(to rightfully) claiming that he played a key role in taking an upstart small maker to a household name, he also couldn't be content with it being impressive that a CT has such incredible acceleration that, while towing, it can keep up with something like a 911.

Instead, he has to make a claim that was ALMOST true but not quite true(and to give him the benefit of the doubt, something I rarely do, their models may have shown it could happen on paper when he stated that). They obviously went to a lot of effort to try and put the Porsche at every disadvantage possible and could only pull it off just barely in the 1/8 mile. There again, the fact that they could is still impressive, so why not run with that? No, instead we have to release a video that shows 1/8 mile while talking about 1/4 mile.

Personally, I wish we could see the full 1/4 mile, as there again even with the Porsche likely beating it easily, it would still be impressive to see...

I'm always impressed with his analysis, and it's been several months since I watched the video breaking this down.

At the end of the day, it's impressive to me that the CT, for all of its many faults, is even able to keep pace with something like a modern 911(no matter the trim) while pulling a similar car. That's worth bragging about in and of itself in my mind.

Anyone who has read my posts in EV threads knows that I'm no fan of the loud-mouthed individual who has such a fragile ego that he was upset at not being called a "founder" of the EV company that he didn't start that he went to court to be called a "founder." This is just another example of the same thing-just like he couldn't be content(to rightfully) claiming that he played a key role in taking an upstart small maker to a household name, he also couldn't be content with it being impressive that a CT has such incredible acceleration that, while towing, it can keep up with something like a 911.

Instead, he has to make a claim that was ALMOST true but not quite true(and to give him the benefit of the doubt, something I rarely do, their models may have shown it could happen on paper when he stated that). They obviously went to a lot of effort to try and put the Porsche at every disadvantage possible and could only pull it off just barely in the 1/8 mile. There again, the fact that they could is still impressive, so why not run with that? No, instead we have to release a video that shows 1/8 mile while talking about 1/4 mile.

Personally, I wish we could see the full 1/4 mile, as there again even with the Porsche likely beating it easily, it would still be impressive to see...
Check out the Carwow channel. They tested a Cybertruck against a Porsche 911 Turbo S. The Cybertruck jumped off the line but the Porsche reeled it in then walks away.

Back