Muhammad Ali dead at 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ali was 10 years older than I am, so I was a teenager during his heyday. He became a polarizing figure to be sure. But after he returned to boxing in the 1970's, his accomplishments in and out of the ring were to be admired.

I still remember the radio broadcast of the fictional fight between Ali and Rocky Marciano, a computer simulation. What a terrific boxer he was, and certainly one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Ali was 10 years older than I am, so I was a teenager during his heyday. He became a polarizing figure to be sure. But after he returned to boxing in the 1970's, his accomplishments in and out of the ring were to be admired.

I still remember the radio broadcast of the fictional fight between Ali and Rocky Marciano, a computer simulation. What a terrific boxer he was, and certainly one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century.

I also remember the computer generated fight between Ali and Marciano...didn't Marciano win that?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

I also remember the computer generated fight between Ali and Marciano...didn't Marciano win that?

There was a radio broadcast that I thought Marciano won by decision. But there also was a computerized match shown in movie theaters where Marciano won on a 13th round KO.

Another living memory of the past gone.

I remember his fights and all the excitement people had knowing he was in the ring. In those days you could watch the fights for free on TV. Ali seemed like a very kind man to me...and yet he could box like no other.

Only he knew what was in his heart and mind in regard to the draft issue. You either would have had to have taken him at his word, or not. It certainly was a blemish on an otherwise outstanding career.

He brought boxing to a whole new audience.

I remeber I was about 10 when he came to the UK to fight our local hero Henery Cooper.

It was a great fight, Cooper put Clay (as he was called then) down, but the fight was stopped in Clay's favour in the next round.

We all wanted to see the Black , mouthy, American loose, but the funny thing was, in the school playground the next day, there were a bunch of White British kids tying to imitate the Black American boxer.

At a critical time, he smashed a lot of racial stereotypes in the UK. He was Smart, Fast and good looking at a time when most boxers weren't

In real life, Marciano in his prime could not deal with Clay's speed in his prime. The ending would have been similar to George Foreman's loss..... KO in the middle rounds.

Joe Louis' style in his prime, would have given Clay his biggest challenge. I always thought Clay would win such fight in a TKO, in the 13th or 14th Round.

Last edited:
I posted this in the other Ali thread as well...
Back when he was still Cassius Clay he got stopped for speeding in my home county. His attorney was an old law school friend of my father so he called Dad to see what could be done. Dad got the County Judge to "file it away" and when Dad's friend asked how much Clay owed him Dad said, "Have him send me an autographed picture." I still have it, and the autograph reads:

"To ***** ******,
A Good Lawyer
From
Cassius Clay
Next Champ
Liston in Six
1963"

I wish you could all be party to this conversation on this bus. Lady with annoying Brooklyn Fran Drescher accent is talking about how tough a sport boxing is, and comparing it to football with someone. Oy.

R.I.P., Muhammad Ali.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
I wish you could all be party to this conversation on this bus. Lady with annoying Brooklyn Fran Drescher accent is talking about how tough a sport boxing is, and comparing it to football with someone. Oy.

R.I.P., Muhammad Ali.

I lady with a Brooklyn accent in a non-existent Nebraska city? Interesting...
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

R.I.P., Muhammad Ali.

I lady with a Brooklyn accent in a non-existent Nebraska city? Interesting...
mad.gif

I travel. But that accent is annoying anywhere you go. Or the lady could be traveling. Up to you.

But its certainly not The G.O.A.T. - Greatest Of All Time.

What would you all say his greatest fight was?

Never been a boxing fan, but I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who steps into the squared circle and is willing to go 15 rounds with anyone. Even though a lot of people did not agree with him politically, he was a great fighter who could certainly back up his talk. It was sad watching him decline slowly.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Never been a boxing fan, but I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who steps into the squared circle and is willing to go 15 rounds with anyone. Even though a lot of people did not agree with him politically, he was a great fighter who could certainly back up his talk. It was sad watching him decline slowly.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'Not true it was 3 years after he converted. He stayed true to his faith to the end so it wasn't a matter of convenience just to avoid the draft.'

Yes it is true! It took three years for the case to drag out in court. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_v._United_States

Quote:
22, he won the world heavyweight championship from Sonny Liston in an upset in 1964. Shortly after that, Ali joined the Nation of Islam and changed his name.

Quote:
In 1964, Ali failed the U.S. Armed Forces qualifying test because his writing and spelling skills were sub-standard. With the escalation of the Vietnam War, the test standards were lowered in November 1965

Quote:
In 1967, three years after winning the heavyweight title, Ali refused to be conscripted into the U.S. military,

I don't know about you but 64 from 67 leaves 3 years.
The test standard was lowered in 1965 but he wasn't drafted in 65. Read into it whatever you want the numbers don't lie.

Many, Many WERE DRAFTED during that time, and there is no way knowing where one would be stationed.

How do I know? I was drafted and was sent to The Pentagon working with what The Manhattan Project morphed into. Quite an experience to say the least.

Ali was nothing more than a draft dodger, at the very least he should have registered as a Conscientious Objector.

I recall, not too long ago, that many objected to President Obama stating that the United States was not a "Christian" nation. Well, regardless of how you feel about the separation of church and state he was right. We are an unforgiving, self-righteous, judgmental and vindictive revenge-seeking lot. Those who claim to be the most righteous are the worst of the bunch. How sad it is to see an empire in its downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back