MS wants you to use the new outlook.

they keep asking me to use the new outlook. But the new one does not have a unified email page like the old one. i , like many have multiple emails and like it all in one place .

what other free email provider has a unified inbox?

I havent used non webmail in 5 years. Is thunderbird still a thing?

or mailbird.. they tout a unified inbox and offer a free plan(I think)

1708176476043.jpg

they keep asking me to use the new outlook. But the new one does not have a unified email page like the old one. i , like many have multiple emails and like it all in one place .

what other free email provider has a unified inbox?
What OS? Outlook for Android mobile aggregates 3 different emails in a unified inbox.

I have used Outlook for years. I have multiple email accounts that I access thru that one app. Even my gmail account is accessed thru Outlook.I haven’t had that issue even when they upgraded recently. But for clarification, I do use the “paid” version (Microsoft 365 suite) for this. I do believe the free version is similar……

I have used Outlook for years. I have multiple email accounts that I access thru that one app. Even my gmail account is accessed thru Outlook.I haven’t had that issue even when they upgraded recently. But for clarification, I do use the “paid” version (Microsoft 365 suite) for this. I do believe the free version is similar……
From what google tells me that is incorrect the "new outlook" for windows 11 doesnt have unified inbox support.

I've always been a fan of Postbox. It started off using the thunderbird source code but then added a lot of polish to make it a really nice UI. Haven't used it because it only works on windows/mac.

they keep asking me to use the new outlook. But the new one does not have a unified email page like the old one.

If you mean the new outlook app in Windows 11 then there is a setting to link more than one account to your in box. What threw me at first was where to click to open up settings. Make sure the left most column is wide enough to display the settings icon.

I just switched to the new one to try out. You can switch back at anytime. Nothing has really changed as far as the overall layout. I still get my multiple email accounts in the left Folder pane.

Do you have this toggle switch?
1708209318558.jpg

The "new" Outlook is just basically a web wrapper, isn't it?

No local caching, PST file support (at least initially), or other things that made the classic Outlook an overwrought, but powerful app?

I guess that's why they give the new one away for free now, vs. using it to differentiate the better versions of Office as in the past.

No local caching, PST file support (at least initially), or other things that made the classic Outlook an overwrought, but powerful app?

I guess that's why they give the new one away for free now, vs. using it to differentiate the better versions of Office as in the past.
Yup, it's basically the online Outlook, just installed.

I just switched to the new one to try out. You can switch back at anytime. Nothing has really changed as far as the overall layout. I still get my multiple email accounts in the left Folder pane.

Do you have this toggle switch?
View attachment 204100
with the old mail app on windows i could link all my email address into a single inbox. with the new outlook one , they don't have it or i have not found it . yes on the left the email individual email panes are there , but for me one inbox is preferred

At work we have Comcast internet but awhile back they updated their email and forcing Outlook which is web based, previously I had Thunderbird configured but with their updates you now have to use a web browser to login and it doesn't allow you to use anything else... I hate it, there is POP which is old and largely being replaced nowadays with Imap.

I can still use it at home but because work is a business acct they have a different set of rules. Dad has gotten used to it but he totally hated it at first and was threatening to drop Comcast over it, even tried talking with Verizon about switching back to them but I don't know what happened there and he just signed an agreement with Comcast so we're stuck for awhile.

If I had my way I would switch to Glo Fiber, they offer internet and voip. I don't know if we can get connected just yet but they might do it for a business and they have been connecting others in town but we are on the outskirts.

The new Outlook doesn’t even support custom Exchange servers which is what I use for my email so it’s a no-go for me. Apparently it’s a planned feature but we’ll see.

If start up my laptop with the wifi off, the new outlook app launches and displays all my emails so they must be stored locally in some form.

"old" outlook program for windows supports PST. The new one does not yet. They've been trying to get rid of it for a while, you know the whole "we want your data to stay on our servers so you have to pay a subscription" ********.

FeatureOutlook on the webOutlook for WindowsWindows Mail appNew Outlook for Windows
Pin emails
Pin a message to move it to the
top of your inbox so it's easy
to find later.
YesNoNoYes
Snooze emails
Snooze an email to temporarily
remove it from your inbox and
schedule it to appear as a new
mail for later, when you can respond.
YesNoNoYes
My Day view
Use My Day to see your upcoming calendar events
and tasks anywhere in Outlook, including Mail, Calendar, and People.
YesYes**NoYes
Inbox rules
Use inbox rules to automatically perform specific actions on email that arrives in your inbox.
YesYesNoYes
Conversation settings
You can change the appearance
of the message list and reading
pane. Email in the message list
can be displayed as individual
messages or grouped by conversation.
YesYesYesYes
Loop components
Use loop components to collaborate within Outlook.
YesNoNoYes
Microsoft 365 account
Support for Microsoft 365 account.
YesYesYesYes
Outlook.com account
Support for Outlook.com account.
YesYesYesYes
3rd party (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) accounts
Support for 3rd party accounts.
Yes***YesYesYes***
Multi-account support
Access multiple accounts from your Outlook client.
Yes***YesYesYes
PST file support
Use a PST file (Outlook Data File) to backup or export items from your email account
NoYesNoNo*
Delegation
Allow someone else to manage
your mailbox and calendar.
YesYesNoYes
Shared mailboxes
Allow groups of users to monitor
and send emails from a shared
mailbox.
YesYesNoYes
Offline supportNoYesYesNo*
Web add-ins
Integrations built on Outlook by
using our modern web-based
platform.
YesYesNoYes
COM Add-ins
Integrations built on Outlook using COM integration.
NoYesNoNo

"old" outlook program for windows supports PST. The new one does not yet. They've been trying to get rid of it for a while, you know the whole "we want your data to stay on our servers so you have to pay a subscription" ********.
What if your mail server is only POP ? I use Apple computers so while we have MS Office products, there are some differences in the programs although Word and Excel don't seem much different. There's definitely shortcomings with Outlook on Mac though. They've been offering this "New Outlook" for years and it actually loses features that the "old" version had ! That said, I thought it mostly a difference in the interface and that underneath was still mostly the same.

Back