Mpg-O-Matic : Test drive of the 2012 Focus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet they used some stupid gearing in the trans, since they have to try to make a 4-cyl econobox "sporty".

Not sure why anyone would need 160hp in that car. 120 or less is more than fine.

That said, from the report:

Interstate Mileage Testing:

Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 39.2 MPG
Cruise control off, target speed 60-72 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 40.3 MPG

And since the car is rated 27 city, getting 31 mixed isnt the worst thing.

What's the steady-state MPG at 50-55mph, a/c off, with the tires inflated to sidewall maximum? It would probably be something like 50mpg!

Just curious how the A/C kills it.
As we use A/C 9 months of the year down here.

If you don't have A/C then you have all the windows down and a LARGE bottle of COLD water.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not sure why anyone would need 160hp in that car. 120 or less is more than fine.

Probably to help differentiate it from the Fiesta and most of the cars in the same class are currently sitting around 150+ hp.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
What's the steady-state MPG at 50-55mph, a/c off, with the tires inflated to sidewall maximum? It would probably be something like 50mpg!

My Corolla is inflated to 40psi from the recommended 30. When the car was delivered, it had 20psi in them. The first couple tanks, off the top of my head, were 33-34 MPG. I'd have to refer to my Excel worksheet for a more precise number. When I inflated to 30psi, MPG's rose to 34-35 and now with 40psi, I average about 35-37 consistently. My driving is about 90/10 highway/city, I set the cruise on 60 MPH and I rarely see anything over 60.

Originally Posted By: cancov
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

My Corolla is inflated to 40psi from the recommended 30. When the car was delivered, it had 20psi in them. The first couple tanks, off the top of my head, were 33-34 MPG. I'd have to refer to my Excel worksheet for a more precise number. When I inflated to 30psi, MPG's rose to 34-35 and now with 40psi, I average about 35-37 consistently. My driving is about 90/10 highway/city, I set the cruise on 60 MPH and I rarely see anything over 60.

cancov, what's your cruising RPM at 60? 70?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Probably to help differentiate it from the Fiesta and most of the cars in the same class are currently sitting around 150+ hp.

Which is way too high too.

I looked at one of these. The lack of a MT with any options turned me off. The lower-line one I test-drove drove all right, but not like the sporty little car the big car magazines portrayed.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
L_Sludger said:

How long your tires lasting over inflated, are they getting chopped up and wore in the middle at 10 psi over recommendation. It can't be a smooth and comfortable ride like that. My tires cost to much and I have to change them every two years. I see what happens to tires if you under inflate them, they get all feathered, when over inflated they get all chopped up in the middle and wear bad. Not sure if that would help my cause to save gas and spend on a new set of tires for little bit of improvement in gas mileage. But it works for you and that's cool.

I don't know about you folks, but the roads here don't allow max inflation pressures. You'll be beaten to death, besides being guaranteed a blowout in some of the potholes.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
I don't know about you folks, but the roads here don't allow max inflation pressures. You'll be beaten to death, besides being guaranteed a blowout in some of the potholes.

I rather have a smooth comfortable ride and whatever inflation is set by OEM for pressure. I like my tires to last, because they aren't getting any cheaper. My car rides like a lumber wagon at 40 psi.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor

At 60 MPH, the RPM settle in at about 2200.

Originally Posted By: Topo
How long your tires lasting over inflated, are they getting chopped up and wore in the middle at 10 psi over recommendation. It can't be a smooth and comfortable ride like that. My tires cost to much and I have to change them every two years. I see what happens to tires if you under inflate them, they get all feathered, when over inflated they get all chopped up in the middle and wear bad. Not sure if that would help my cause to save gas and spend on a new set of tires for little bit of improvement in gas mileage. But it works for you and that's cool.

This is a company vehicle that I use for person reasons as well. I pay for gas, the company pays for maintenance (ie. Oil Changes and TIRES). If I were paying for tires, my Michelin X-Radials would stay at 30 PSI for longevity. The 10 extra PSI is slightly noticeable in terms of feel, but not bad.

I REALLY wanted to love this car when I test drove one and the glowing reviews I had read made me optimistic. I was a little let down after the test drive. The car does ride and handle competently (and much better than the previous model) but the cramped rear seat and problematic "power shift" transmission (a little clunky for my tastes and also noted in "professional" testing as not properly sorted out...Ford dropped the ball here...should have made sure that trans had the bugs worked out of it before introducing it)let me down. Ford is apparently scrambling to work the bugs out of the transmission as it's problems (and high failure rate in the early models) have marred this otherwise good car (and the Fiesta that uses the same transmission).

We must also remember that fuel choice greatly affects your MPG's.

Ethanol is a MPG reducer. As are low octane fuels (knock sensor pulling timing). Remember, the EPA uses 93 octane gasoline, without ethanol. A "best case" scenario.

OceanDoctor said:

At 60 MPH, the RPM settle in at about 2200.

Originally Posted By: Topo

This is a company vehicle that I use for person reasons as well. I pay for gas, the company pays for maintenance (ie. Oil Changes and TIRES). If I were paying for tires, my Michelin X-Radials would stay at 30 PSI for longevity. The 10 extra PSI is slightly noticeable in terms of feel, but not bad.
[/quote

Than I fully understand your reason. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I REALLY wanted to love this car when I test drove one and the glowing reviews I had read made me optimistic. I was a little let down after the test drive. The car does ride and handle competently (and much better than the previous model) but the cramped rear seat and problematic "power shift" transmission (a little clunky for my tastes and also noted in "professional" testing as not properly sorted out...Ford dropped the ball here...should have made sure that trans had the bugs worked out of it before introducing it)let me down. Ford is apparently scrambling to work the bugs out of the transmission as it's problems (and high failure rate in the early models) have marred this otherwise good car (and the Fiesta that uses the same transmission).

Remember that the new Focus is a European based model and as such it is focused slightly more on European tastes which have increasingly also become more mainstream in the US market.

Few people actually buy cars in Europe or most other major car markets with an auto box, so it isn't as important, well it actually it is not important at all.

I agree about the lack of options with the manual since in Europe you can buy many of the options ala carte with either the excellent manual or the ecoshift auto box.

As for tire pressures don't also forget that greatly increased tire pressures also increases wear and tear on suspension and other related components so in reality if you want to increase the tire pressure it is best to only go up about 3 psi on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back