Mower Deck Damage - any chance of fixing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if this is beyond repair? If not, if someone would have a recommendation on how to fix. This is a 22 inch push mower. Looks like the engine is held to the deck in three places, two of the three places look like the attached picture.

Not unless you're willing to put more work into it than its worth. It decayed from the underside from the grass holding moisture against the metal. You'd probably almost have to fabricate an all new deck.

Better off finding a deck with a blown motor.

To prevent it in the future, clean the grass off the underside after mowing.

Last edited:
Should be easy to find a decent deck with a blown motor. Just look around for the Briggs and Stratton lubed for life engines. They usually self destruct in 3-5 years.

I had the same problem, finding a replacement deck was actually pretty easy. I took a few rides around the neighborhood the mornings of heavy trash collection.

I had holes in a Wheel Horse deck and took it to a welding shop, and they patched it.

That crack in the engine casing above the bolt would indicate to me that it's time for a new mower.

edit, if I copy the pic to GIMP and rotate it looks like a casting mark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb_13
Should be easy to find a decent deck with a blown motor. Just look around for the Briggs and Stratton lubed for life engines. They usually self destruct in 3-5 years.

I purchase a new mower at the start of summer , with the B&S lubed for life engine . It will have oil changes every year .

A mower with a deck like that is actually worthless. You could fix it for sure, but home much money do you want to throw at a worthless item?

I have never had a mower deck rust out , yet . In mostly dry West Texas .

But if I did , I might try repairing it using thick sheet metal and screws or pop rivets .

It’s toast! Notice the crack in the engine’s mounting flange. Put it out by the road, some scrapper will pick it up.

Originally Posted By: MParr
It’s toast! Notice the crack in the engine’s mounting flange. Put it out by the road, some scrapper will pick it up.

What crack?

This will happen from running with the blade bent or out of balance. The deck will crack around all the bolts. Shakes itself to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back