Moving out of state - options to get it done

I just moved from my four bedroom house w/average amount of furnishings. Used a POD. It is in storage right now until I find another place. They will drop the POD at my next house and I will unload it myself. They then pick up their POD. MUCH cheaper than hiring a moving company.

Today I might look into a PODs, they drop it off and you pack it and then they haul it to your new location.
Pods only work in major population areas. My daughter is moving soon from here to Baltimore. To use Pods we'd have to truck all the stuff 100 miles to Phoenix and load into the Pods then they go east.

Someone is moving in down the street and has 3 Uhaul pod type things on special Uhaul trailers. First we've seen them around here in use.

Yeah look at Penske, Ryder, and Budget as well as Uhaul. I like the buy-a-truck, sell-a-truck idea.

I take it you're moving somewhere with a driveway. Pods don't work well with apartment buildings, from what I read.

Same situation I’m facing leaving upstate ny to sc.. pods wants around 3k.. 16’ moving with car trailer was around $2200. Unlimited miles I just pay fuel and tolls
Congratulations!
We moved from Long Island to SC over 12 years ago. Ordered one large PODS,
It worked perfect for us. Our new house wasnt finished when it was supposed to be. The builder supplied us with a furnished 3 BR apartment.
We had the PODS sent to its central storage location in our state and even had access to it during this time.

Once the house was completed and we were ready to move in, we had the PODS delivered to the house.

Moving to SC we didnt take a lot of stuff/furniture with us and furnished the new house with all new furniture except the master furniture which went into a large guest bedroom in the new home and a rather large sleeper/sofa and chair which went into our sunroom and why we only need one PODS.

Congratulations!
We moved from Long Island to SC over 12 years ago. Ordered one large PODS,
It worked perfect for us. Our new house wasnt finished when it was supposed to be. The builder supplied us with a furnished 3 BR apartment.
We had the PODS sent to its central storage location in our state and even had access to it during this time.

Once the house was completed and we were ready to move in, we had the PODS delivered to the house.

Moving to SC we didnt take a lot of stuff/furniture with us and furnished the new house with all new furniture except the master furniture which went into a large guest bedroom in the new home and a rather large sleeper/sofa and chair which went into our sunroom and why we only need one PODS.
me and the wife been in our home 4 yrs so we didnt accumilate too much stuff/junk etc "yet". Our house is small 750 sq ft cottage style home we also won't be bringing too much with us. just our bedroom set tvs my tools some kitchenware and our clothing. rest we are parting with either to our local trash pickup and giving to the local habitat for humanity.

One note- if moving long distances and renting a truck, consider a Penske diesel truck over a Uhaul truck. Uhaul only offers gasoline trucks, and with weight of the cargo the fuel mileage is beyond brutal. The Penske diesel will provide much better fuel performance. And in my experience, Penske rental fleet is maintained significantly better than Uhaul's fleet.

A uhaul trailer is a per day rental no mileage. Low load height makes it easier.

One note- if moving long distances and renting a truck, consider a Penske diesel truck over a Uhaul truck. Uhaul only offers gasoline trucks, and with weight of the cargo the fuel mileage is beyond brutal. The Penske diesel will provide much better fuel performance. And in my experience, Penske rental fleet is maintained significantly better than Uhaul's fleet.
Truck maintenance is important. Friends rented a U-haul truck for a long move (1300 Km/ 800 miles). On the way the truck was sucking up gas at a fierce rate and then broke down. U-haul sent them another truck but transferring everything between trucks at the roadside was not a highlight of their move. They did get a partial refund in view of the awful gas mileage at the start of the trip.

In our younger days we rented a U-haul trailer for a "broke student's" move. It was a smaller trailer and the move (520 Km/325 miles) took two trips with drop off at the point of origination. Not the best planning, but in those days we had more time than money. Afterwards we understood that the trailer rental had been intended for local use - and we had put on a lot of miles on it in a very few days.

Just to make that move even more memorable our car ran into trouble on the final leg of the trip. The voltage regulator packed it in and went into no-charge mode while driving at night. Because the headlights were getting dim I stopped at a closed for the night roadside service station (in case the car wouldn't start in the morning) and we slept in the car. About dawn I started the car and the regulator went into maximum charge mode for the final hundred miles or so. What is the advertising logo? - "adventures in moving". That part is true.

Last edited:
When we moved back to PA from Mississippi we rented a 16' Penskee box truck and their car trailer. This cost us around $1,000 back in 2015, so I imagine prices might be higher. We did have to leave alot behind due to the trucks smaller size. We could have really used a 22' or 26', but there was no way in Hadies I was driving one of those with a trailer. That was a long 15 hour drive...

You've got the F250

Id buy the box trailer load it up and sell everything you cant take in one or two shots.

Pack the bedrooms yourself, pay schleppers to box up the kitchen and rest of house.

Sell the trailer after.

We are slowly moving from NY to Delaware. About 5 to 6 hours drive. Looking to move about half a house of furniture. The price the moving companies charge seems very high per cubic foot. To the point it's almost better to buy new stuff in DE.

One option is to hire moving/loading help on each end to load a UHaul that I drive.

Another option is to rent a UHaul trailer, hire moving help at both ends. I can pull a trailer with my pickup.

Buy a box trailer used, do the move and sell after the move.

Another option is to build or get a a box and put it on top of my 12K GVW flatbed trailer I own. Move everything using the box on the trailer.
I'd go for the new furniture, a lot easier and you end up with new stuff.

I've moved interstate many times, sometimes partly with professional movers but I've always had to move a lot myself too. I've used a POD, I've hauled stuff in a trailer, and I've done the Rental box trucks. Each has benefits and drawbacks. I'll try to be succinct. There really aren't too many options.

First dispose of it or move it. Make a list. Then you can figure out how to move the rest.

First, sell or give away anything you don't need or want. Moving companies factor the price about $1 per pound so use that as a reference. If you can sell or get rid of sofa beds, big heavy wood and metal furniture, big box TVs, and junk totaling say 1000 pounds you'll be "saving" about $1000 in effort/time/costs no matter who moves it. When I moved recently, I had garage sales and internet sales and made about $2000 with minimal effort, which also lightened my load.

Catalog and increase insurance on anything particularly valuable. Photos, videos, document anything important in the event of loss in transit, be it theft or accident.

The idea to rent or buy a trailer with the plan of selling it when finished is a solid plan, and you already have a capable truck and the distances are not too far to do in a few trips. The good news is that there's no required overnight stops, which is always a concern for theft. If you buy a trailer and then sell it when finished, you can probably break even. For your distances this is possibly the best plan.

PODs are convenient, but expensive. And they won't allow a long list of contraband. If you use it, have the door pushed right against your garage door for added security loading/unloading and storing.

A box truck is also not a bad play, putting wear on someone else's vehicle. So if your truck is unreliable, this may be the best plan. Rental plans are around $250 per day, depending on the market and other variables.

Hiring a crew might be necessary depending on your furniture and house layout on both ends. If you weigh the options it may be better to just sell or even give away the heavy outdated furniture and electronics if someone comes to claim them and move them out of the house for you. If you list almost ANYTHING for free on Craigslist people will be crawling over your house like ants at a picnic and carry anything away from the top floor of the house. So, rather than pay someone thousands of dollars to move old furniture of little value, just give it all away and plan to save money, and replace it at your destination.

In my case, I gave away or sold several 300 pound Sony tube TVs from the 2nd floor and these folks showed up and hauled them off saving me back breaking work and expenses to move items of very little value. I sold a huge sofa bed that must have weighed 400 pounds, for $100. It took 3 adult men to move it and I was happy to not have to move it across country! Get rid of the piano, the armoirs, the hutches, the boxes of junk, the lawnmower, etc. It costs way more to move it than it's probably worth.

If you can sell or even give away a few thousand pounds of items your back and wallet will thank you!

I was doing some math. I was quoted $20 cu ft to move from NY to DE. A sofa might be 2x3x6 or 36 cu ft. So over $700 to move a couch. Unless it's a super high quality couch, buy new.

Back