Moving out of state - options to get it done

We are slowly moving from NY to Delaware. About 5 to 6 hours drive. Looking to move about half a house of furniture. The price the moving companies charge seems very high per cubic foot. To the point it's almost better to buy new stuff in DE.

One option is to hire moving/loading help on each end to load a UHaul that I drive.

Another option is to rent a UHaul trailer, hire moving help at both ends. I can pull a trailer with my pickup.

Buy a box trailer used, do the move and sell after the move.

Another option is to build or get a a box and put it on top of my 12K GVW flatbed trailer I own. Move everything using the box on the trailer.

How much is the moving estimate? Think I paid about $3000 for the move into my house 19 years ago. It was a lot of stuff. At my age, I'm paying the money and letting someone else do all the work. One when I moved, I learned the estimates are non-binding so we went with the most expensive estimate figuring it was the most honest.

Any colleges near where you are leaving and moving to? A quick sign for loading help for beer money used to work.

Will everything fit in a uhaul trailer? One advantage of the rental trucks is the built in ramp for hand trucks.

When I moved 10 years ago I bought a used box trailer with a rear load ramp, dual axle, 7500 lb. I was still working and moving into my retirement house. I would take my time and load the trailer all week and then on Friday I would drive to the house and spend the weekend unloading. At the end when I got to the real heavy stuff I hired moving help. It was $300 for 2 guys half day. They loaded up the heavy things and I drove the trailer out and took a day off and hired 2 guys at the other end to unload. When I sold the trailer 9 mos after I bought it I got $200 less than I paid and of course lost the title and tax fees, but for around $1000 I took my time packing, made sure all my wood working and valuable tools made it without damage and used the trailer to haul off the after move junk.
Today I might look into a PODs, they drop it off and you pack it and then they haul it to your new location.

ABF Freight will drop a trailer at your current home, you load it, then they will pick it up and transport it to your new address, drop it then you unload it, then they pick up the empty trailer. Seems to be a neat concept but I don’t have any idea of the cost.

In Canada it would pay to have Worker's Comp Insurance to cover guys hauling heavy stuff on a casual or hourly basis for you. If someone actually hurt himself working for you, without Workers' Comp you could be expected to pay medical costs and disability costs. And if they're scamming, it could get nasty.

If you hire a contractor they (generally) would be expected to have their own Workers' Comp, but it still pays to ask.

Have you checked into ABF or Estes Sure move? They drop a 28' semi trailer at your house, you load it and they haul to your destination.

In Canada it would pay to have Worker's Comp Insurance to cover guys hauling heavy stuff on a casual or hourly basis for you. If someone actually hurt himself working for you, without Workers' Comp you could be expected to pay medical costs and disability costs. And if they're scamming, it could get nasty.

If you hire a contractor they (generally) would be expected to have their own Workers' Comp, but it still pays to ask.

I thought you have national healthcare.

Same situation I’m facing leaving upstate ny to sc.. pods wants around 3k.. 16’ moving with car trailer was around $2200. Unlimited miles I just pay fuel and tolls

What do you mean, "options to get it fone"? Buy a box truck low, then when done moving, sell high.

Things like physio/massage/prescriptions are generally out of pocket or an employer benefit. Nothing like being bankrupted by cancer treatment or a heart attack, but it can still add up.

What do you mean, "options to get it fone"? Buy a box truck low, then when done moving, sell high.

Based on context, I would assume "fone" = a typo-ed version of "done".

Have you looked at more than one truck rental agency? I know in BC, Budget didn't charge mileage, whereas U-Haul did. For an inter-state move, that could make a significant difference.

With that said, I would think that given you already own an F-250, it's likely the option of buying a cargo trailer and selling (or not) when you're done would be the best bet, but do the math based on rental rates, etc.

National Healthcare yes, but that (for sure) doesn't cover disability, and healthcare for work related injuries is questionable. In theory healthcare for work related injuries is not covered, but in practice the issue of work relatedness may not come up and required healthcare is covered.

Worker's Comp definitely covers healthcare, retraining if required and disability and protects the employer against legal action as well. You can be fined for providing unsafe working conditions but you can't be sued by an injured worker or his family. Someone could launch a lawsuit against you as the employer but the case will be thrown out of court if you have Workers' Comp. Why that's the case is a long story.

I should add that Workers' Comp coverage is very inexpensive, at most a few dollars per $100 of payroll. The rate depends on the risk. When I had a medical practice I paid about 10 cents per $100 of payroll. A roofing company might pay $5 or $6 per $100.

Back