Moving Lawn Tractors

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Started yesterday, moving 8 and sold a Kubota with the house.
Turned into much drama. Like the ones with an electronic parking brake with a dead battery. (Exmark)

Then the "72" Wheelhorse - I forgot but I owned it from new.
Sat for several years. You need to lift up the seat and from the side is a screw that open and closes a valve
so, you can hand push it. I forgot since new the factory sticker gives the backward info. I tried to push it
however, no go. I turned it the wrong way and it worked.
Then the ethanol and carb nonsense.

A diesel with a 13-year-old battery but it fired right up.
More drama. Why does every maker these days put the tire valve stems on the inside of the rims.
That turned into a contortionist act with filthy dirty hands. Other than that- it was great fun and more to do.

I had to move all kinds of lumber and wood shop machines to squeeze them in their new location.
The electronic parking brake still has me ticked off ;)
I had a new Lincoln LS V8 in 2006 and within a few months it had a dead cell, and they came out to get it.
Yes, it had an electronic parking brake... Ford with dead cells. My 2011 F350 Diesel had a dead cell when new too .

Last edited:
That is always fun. Anything that sits for a period of time outside will be a nightmare. I've had some of my small engine customers approach me with zero turns or riding mowers that have been sitting in their yard for a few years and it is always a hard no. The customer usually just wants them fixed as cheap as possible, and usually every single lever and linkage on the machine is seized up and rusted, carburetor corroded, etc. I love reviving old equipment, I have some from the 1940s-1960s, but that is a hobby and if trying to do it as a business it will always be a losing battle.

I also love Exmark but have no clue why a zero turn mower needs the complication of an electronic parking brake.

Outside- never- totally agree.
All of these are stored indoors but I sold the house, so I am moving them to my other house.
I had a buddy who asked me to look at his Cub Cadet - sat outside uncovered for years.
I looked at it from 30 yards away lol.

Outside- never- totally agree.
All of these are stored indoors but I sold the house, so I am moving them to my other house.
I had a buddy who asked me to look at his Cub Cadet - sat outside uncovered for years.
I looked at it from 30 yards away lol.
Yeah indoors is a different story. Reviving something that sat outside uncovered is a labor of love.

We had a green bean mower live it’s whole life outside no issues for 20 years.

My $99 1998 push mower has never been garaged either, just cover the motor still works

I got one of those covers for a zero turn and it is great. Easy to put on and so far no wind problems. It has some adjustable straps that you can tighten. For longer term wintertime I will strap it up.

We had a green bean mower live it’s whole life outside no issues for 20 years.

My $99 1998 push mower has never been garaged either, just cover the motor still works
Push mowers in general seem to hold up better since they are simpler, but anything that is a little bit newer (looking at you MTD with your cheap pot metal linkages) will seize up and turn into white corroded powder outdoors.

Turned into much drama. Like the ones with an electronic parking brake with a dead battery. (Exmark)

Sat for several years. You need to lift up the seat and from the side is a screw that open and closes a valve
so, you can hand push it. I forgot since new the factory sticker gives the backward info. I tried to push it

More drama. Why does every maker these days put the tire valve stems on the inside of the rims.
That turned into a contortionist act with filthy dirty hands. Other than that- it was great fun and more to do.

I had to move all kinds of lumber and wood shop machines to squeeze them in their new location.
I had a new Lincoln LS V8 in 2006 and within a few months it had a dead cell, and they came out to get it.
Yes, it had an electronic parking brake... Ford with dead cells. My 2011 F350 Diesel had a dead cell when new too .

If wheel weights without a slot for the valve stems are installed on the front wheels of a lawn tractor, you have to turn the wheels around so the stems are on the inside.

20211103_064039.jpg

Brother if that's the worst of your outdoor power equipment drama, you're doing pretty darn good!

Sounds like you've got an awesome mix of machines. I woulda given you a hand in a heartbeat. I'm currently working on 3 badly neglected snowblowers for family and friends..

Brother if that's the worst of your outdoor power equipment drama, you're doing pretty darn good!

Sounds like you've got an awesome mix of machines. I woulda given you a hand in a heartbeat. I'm currently working on 3 badly neglected snowblowers for family and friends..
I have to walk 450 yards with each one I move back to get another. One 23hp snapper turd which still looks new but it's a needs a battery and the carb clean but no time. So I have to push it the 450 yards
The owner wanted it as noted but then he looked at the Kubota last minute and changed his mind. Settlement is tomorrow.
If I had just one bloke like automechanic or you to help it would have been easy...taking rest now...lol.. heart is ready to blow...
Back at it soon. That Exmark is still ticking me off ..lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JTK
I'm not sure why so many people (including my father in law) think that it's not a bad idea to leave tractors, snowblowers and push mowers all sitting out in the elements without even tarping them.

I can beat that!
I know a guy who places his OPE and fuel cans aside his house where the rain falls directly on them.
He wonders why they don't start. Frankly, he simply destroys everything he touches.
In fact, he asked to borrow my sister's car years ago.
I grabbed the keys from her and told her[harshly] she was making a completely uninformed decision.

And Zee, I would gladly jump in and help but you're not exactly next door.

I'm not sure why so many people (including my father in law) think that it's not a bad idea to leave tractors, snowblowers and push mowers all sitting out in the elements without even tarping them.
It's a horrible idea even for cheap junk. A horrific idea for mowers around $15k and up.
Here the mice would get them and then come the snakes...
Agreed....

I can beat that!
I know a guy who places his OPE and fuel cans aside his house where the rain falls directly on them.
He wonders why they don't start. Frankly, he simply destroys everything he touches.
In fact, he asked to borrow my sister's car years ago.
I grabbed the keys from her and told her[harshly] she was making a completely uninformed decision.

And Zee, I would gladly jump in and help but you're not exactly next door.
Thanks my friend....

I got them all moved. I had to push that Exmark. I got it to release the brake, but it would not start
and the battery is really toast. I got it 3/4 of the way home pushing it that 450 yard journey.
It was tough because it doesn't push easy. Nobody cared but one older gent stopped to help me as he seen
me push the other one earlier. He said your pushing it wrong and I looked up and he laughed.... joking he said
as I was in kill mode-lol
We started talking and he had his Marine hat on, and he was the Cecil County Maryland Sheriff and retired a while ago.
I learned that not everyone gets a military pension or benefits. He served 4 years only.
We both had heart surgery in 2015 and we talked about that and things we can't talk about here.

I showed him my garage etc. as he said he always looks at it when he goes by.
I couldn't thank him enough as it was all uphill and I was running out of gas.
He is one of those guys that served the community well and we exchanged numbers.
I told him to call me anytime he needs help. I'm done--- just need to sweep the garage and I will do
that tonight.

Quite the adventure in the wrong sort of way. 😮

My JD sits under the deck and is tarped. I go out and start it and let it run 3 or 4 times over the winter as well. Best I can do, I’ve got no place else. So far no problems. 🤷‍♂️

Quite the adventure in the wrong sort of way. 😮

My JD sits under the deck and is tarped. I go out and start it and let it run 3 or 4 times over the winter as well. Best I can do, I’ve got no place else. So far no problems. 🤷‍♂️
Under a deck is good with a tarp... if I had no choice that's how I'd do it.

This thread reminded me that I need to replace the water pump in my old Kubota rider. I was mowing one evening and the fan started hitting the shroud. Looks like a bearing just failed.. it has extreme play in the fan shaft.

Her workload has greatly been reduced, but I try to mow with it a few times a year. I also use it to haul my little yard wagon or sprayer. I also added a block heater so I can run it in the winter for firewood.

Boy do I long for a nice shed to put my ope into. Too much money to build (most of it as free). But it gets tarped at least, and its a short push around the yard if it gets bricked.

Back