Motor Trend rips 2020 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
The responses here are so comical. "Ford sucks...Going out of business...". Just keep parroting what the autorags say!

The brand bias in bitog gets ridiculous sometimes. Don't get me wrong, the Explorer launch was a debacle but it will still sell more than the Koreans with a higher transaction price.

I don't get the nut swingers for the Telluride. It's ok but apparently they cheap out on the engineering and only focus on the interior materials. Just remember, nothing is for free.

The transaction prices will be higher-because of the way the Explorer is priced. But the apparent success of the Korean twins-are conquest sales from somebody. It remains to be seen if the Explorer will sell at previous volume numbers when they moved the vehicle up market.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I'm not a big fan of the new Explorer, but not much in that segment is really exciting. The thing that gets me with most of these SUVs now is that... what people really need/want are minivans with AWD for snow/poor weather. Most SUVs have already started morphing into minivans slowly. See current Honda Pilot compared to the previous gen. No doubt the new one is more aerodynamic, but in doing so loses all the bulky strong styling. I also think most new cars... and SUVs... are just containers for tech you're paying for that will be oudated in a year. This isn't just one brands issue.

Still, it sounds like from that article all things considered the Pilot would be the way to go when comparing those two. Of course, the Pilot had some transmission issues a few years back now too...

I would agree that the SUV/CUV is the "new mini-van". However-the Honda Pilot is the only SUV that looks like a mini-van. I looked at one before I bought my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-I told the salesman-after walking around the Pilot-if I wanted a mini van that's what I would buy.

On edit-most on here seem to think there is a market for manual transmissions as well-this is the same thought process as stating that the mini-van is the way to go when very few want them.

Last edited:
My wife likes the whole SUV craze but I buy FWD I really have no use for 4 wheel drive where I live. The occasional snow we get FWD is more then good enough. But since the explorer is RWD it's not on my radar because it's not close to good enough for a occasional snow.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
My wife likes the whole SUV craze but I buy FWD I really have no use for 4 wheel drive where I live. The occasional snow we get FWD is more then good enough. But since the explorer is RWD it's not on my radar because it's not close to good enough for a occasional snow.

And you know this because you drove a new rear wheel drive Explorer in the snow?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by sloinker
Ford's have been c rap since the Dodge Bros. got screwed by Henry and they stopped providing the whole car less the body in the 1920's.

Pretty low value post. Many of us on here have owned some great Ford products over the years, myself included. Henry built Willow Run for the war effort, folks tend to forget the good and focus solely on what P's them off
21.gif

You should read Arsenal of Democracy before you mention Henry Ford and the war effort. I stand by my words.

Ford's have been c rap since the Dodge Bros. got screwed by Henry and they stopped providing the whole car less the body in the 1920's.

Pretty low value post. Many of us on here have owned some great Ford products over the years, myself included. Henry built Willow Run for the war effort, folks tend to forget the good and focus solely on what P's them off
21.gif

You should read Arsenal of Democracy before you mention Henry Ford and the war effort. I stand by my words.

Well, I didn't expect you to discard them, hence what I stated. Willow Run was a significant contribution, that cannot be denied. Doesn't mean you have to like him, his political views, racism or other misgivings that have been attributed to him or were widely known, such as his vocal antisemitism. Those personal attributes don't and didn't make the products his company produced garbage either. We've owned a lot of Ford products, not once did the idea that I must be misperceiving the value or service they were providing because of what the founder did back in the early 1900's cross my mind. Rational is not the word I would use to describe the thought process used to arrive at that conclusion.

21.gif

Well, I didn't expect you to discard them, hence what I stated. Willow Run was a significant contribution, that cannot be denied. Doesn't mean you have to like him, his political views, racism or other misgivings that have been attributed to him or were widely known, such as his vocal antisemitism. Those personal attributes don't and didn't make the products his company produced garbage either. We've owned a lot of Ford products, not once did the idea that I must be misperceiving the value or service they were providing because of what the founder did back in the early 1900's cross my mind. Rational is not the word I would use to describe the thought process used to arrive at that conclusion.

Henry senior was a German sympathizer and self proclaimed pacifist. It took his son steamrollering over him to deliver the planes that helped win the war. The fathers tactics delayed these machines by some months insuring many more deaths that could have been avoided. I recommend the book I cited. You are right, I am not a fan of Henry. My personal bias with the Ford marque occurred in the early 1990's and had nothing to do with Henry and his often overlooked shortcomings.

I'm not a big fan of the new Explorer, but not much in that segment is really exciting. The thing that gets me with most of these SUVs now is that... what people really need/want are minivans with AWD for snow/poor weather. Most SUVs have already started morphing into minivans slowly. See current Honda Pilot compared to the previous gen. No doubt the new one is more aerodynamic, but in doing so loses all the bulky strong styling. I also think most new cars... and SUVs... are just containers for tech you're paying for that will be oudated in a year. This isn't just one brands issue.

Still, it sounds like from that article all things considered the Pilot would be the way to go when comparing those two. Of course, the Pilot had some transmission issues a few years back now too...

That is why I got Toyota Sienna AWD. No one wants now minivan. Everyone thinks SUV's are cool (not understand what is at all cool about Highlander or Pilot). They are much smaller, drive horrible same like minivans, but with much less space. Why not getting then minivan?
When I was looking for family hauler in 2018, 2015 Highlander with some 30-40,000 miles and Limited package was going for some 35k. Limited Sienna, same year, mileage, AWD, same engine, suspension, platform in general, was going between 27-30k. Found one for 28.5k. I will never understand why buying these SUV's if family hauling is top priority.

Henry senior was a German sympathizer and self proclaimed pacifist. It took his son steamrollering over him to deliver the planes that helped win the war. The fathers tactics delayed these machines by some months insuring many more deaths that could have been avoided. I recommend the book I cited. You are right, I am not a fan of Henry. My personal bias with the Ford marque occurred in the early 1990's and had nothing to do with Henry and his often overlooked shortcomings.

Well, I mean you cited the Dodge brothers and Henry, so if your poor personal experience and subsequent opinion of the brand had nothing to do with that era, harking back to it in your critique seems a bit... off the mark
21.gif
As I said, I'm not defending Henry, simply pointing out that FoMoCo's contributions to the war effort via Willow Run were significant. Henry's insistence that the plant not cross a county line (hence the turntable and the 90 the plant took) was another thing that hindered its construction, but once built and up to speed, it was a huge help.

Henry senior was a German sympathizer and self proclaimed pacifist.

What was VW up to around that time? Talk about a double standard.

Henry Ford sucked, and the 2020 Explorer sucks. The company he founded and that sharted out the 2020 Explorer has built some excellent vehicles though. The whole brand bashing on BITOG is really ridiculous sometimes.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Henry senior was a German sympathizer and self proclaimed pacifist.

What was VW up to around that time? Talk about a double standard.

Henry Ford sucked, and the 2020 Explorer sucks. The company he founded and that sharted out the 2020 Explorer has built some excellent vehicles though. The whole brand bashing on BITOG is really ridiculous sometimes.

Not defending the Nazis or VW. I was a Ford loyalist until the early 1990's. That experience has so soured my perspective I will endeavor to spread poison wherever I can when it concerns Ford. Hence the Dodge Bros reference and what a slimeball Henry really was. Extremely interesting. Ford may well have built some excellent vehicles over the years. I still hope they join the ranks of other now missing automotive stalwarts like Studebaker, Tucker, Kaiser. The best outcome being someone buying them and turning them around under their new owners name.

Yes, and we hope you lose your job tomorrow …

Last edited:
Not defending the Nazis or VW. I was a Ford loyalist until the early 1990's. That experience has so soured my perspective I will endeavor to spread poison wherever I can when it concerns Ford. Hence the Dodge Bros reference and what a slimeball Henry really was. Extremely interesting. Ford may well have built some excellent vehicles over the years. I still hope they join the ranks of other now missing automotive stalwarts like Studebaker, Tucker, Kaiser. The best outcome being someone buying them and turning them around under their new owners name.

I don't think I'm the only one who wishes you would spread your poison elsewhere.

Originally Posted by CKN
Caution.......Thread closing ahead!

No, the folks posting political comments should be put on an extended vacation, I'm sick of seeing very interesting threads being closed because of the constant political
comments. Guy stop it already, please. Thank you.

Originally Posted by edyvw

That is why I got Toyota Sienna AWD. No one wants now minivan. Everyone thinks SUV's are cool (not understand what is at all cool about Highlander or Pilot). They are much smaller, drive horrible same like minivans, but with much less space. Why not getting then minivan?
When I was looking for family hauler in 2018, 2015 Highlander with some 30-40,000 miles and Limited package was going for some 35k. Limited Sienna, same year, mileage, AWD, same engine, suspension, platform in general, was going between 27-30k. Found one for 28.5k. I will never understand why buying these SUV's if family hauling is top priority.

It's the image a minivan conveys. Also, minivans are typically a nightmare to work on, from what I hear (I've never owned one, so I'm going by what I've heard).

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
Ford will be merged or bought out within 5 to 10 years.

I would not write off a Ford/GM merger either. As crazy as it sounds they are both domestic companies and have worked together in the past on many projects. Who knows, but that certainly would be make for an interesting vehicle.

GM knows how to do a transmission and suspension and engine.
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by nickaluch

And you know this because you drove a new rear wheel drive Explorer in the snow?

I've seen a lot of RWD vehicles bite it due to unexpected traction loss. They whip around ASAP and you're done. Also, I have driven AWD full-time, AWD reactive, FWD, and RWD, in the snow. The best was AWD Reactive, because when it did lose traction, it had zero nasty habits.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I don't think I'm the only one who wishes you would spread your poison elsewhere.

Gotta agree, the brand bashing that takes place on here is utterly insane.

Right on, O/K … sometimes I think we need a MH doctor on the site,
(one that works from the shoulders up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back