Motor oil university 106

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard if it meets the spec it must be labeled as such.

So, I guess you could say it reversed....."aren't 20w-50 synthetics actually monograde 50wt? But since the viscosity index is so high, it qualifies as a multigrade."

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I heard if it meets the spec it must be labeled as such.

So, I guess you could say it reversed....."aren't 20w-50 synthetics actually monograde 50wt? But since the viscosity index is so high, it qualifies as a multigrade."

No, that's backwards. If an oil contains any VII, it needs to be labelled with the lowest W-rating it meets, so if it meets the 20w-xx designation and not the 15w one, it must carry the 20w, if it meets the 15w-xx designation but not the 10w, it must carry the 15w.

However

If an oil does NOT contain any VII's, it can be labelled either as a monograde or multigrade. An example of this is AMSOIL's SAE 30, which is actually a 10w-30 but not labelled as such since it has no VII's in it.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
My Enzo Ferrari calls for the Shell Helix Ultra racing 10W-60 but I have used the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30. This is different than the easy to find plain 0W-30 Syntec

as from my point of view? his idea work. baught a brand new car and used his concept ,never had issue with my car !
How long does he keep the cars? How many people wear out their Ferrari by driving them?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
My Enzo Ferrari calls for the Shell Helix Ultra racing 10W-60 but I have used the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30. This is different than the easy to find plain 0W-30 Syntec

as from my point of view? his idea work. baught a brand new car and used his concept ,never had issue with my car !
How long does he keep the cars? How many people wear out their Ferrari by driving them?

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
There is a bunch of errors and nonsense in Oil U, all sections. It's actually a disgrace to BITOG that it remains un-corrected...
I agree. People think they are learning something.

The bad part is when people quote from the oil university as it is fact. Ferrari chat has [the last time I looked] had followers as well.

There is a bunch of errors and nonsense in Oil U, all sections. It's actually a disgrace to BITOG that it remains un-corrected...

BrocLuno,

Please correct the errors and nonsense in "Motor Oil University" and submit your writings to the board.

Thanks,

Wayne

OK, now that I see the message alert, I'll do that. It'll take a few days as I'm doing elder care and will want to look at things carefully so as to not mislead ...

I'd put it this way. There are problems in some of the articles, but they're not really harmful misconceptions. For instance, I'm not concerned that the coverage of how a multigrade works or is formulated isn't quite correct. That really doesn't matter. I'd like a little more reference to the cold start matters, since that's the real crux of the issue with multigrades. Knowing how a multigrade is formulated isn't terribly important. However, it is important to know when a 0w-XX is helpful, and also that a 0w-XX doesn't magically become too thin in the summer. One of my peeves here is how some still would like to change oil by the seasons, without any clear rationale for doing so. Unless one has a real application specific reason to do so (i.e. when my F-150 was leaking like a sieve and had low oil pressure, I had to tap dance with my oil choices for summer and winter, to minimize leaks, keep oil pressure up, have flow in -40, yet not be spending $10 per litre), find an oil grade and stick with it, and usually the OEM grade is just fine for that. The argument to use a 5w-30 ILSAC in winter and a 10w-30 ILSAC in summer has never made much sense to me, at least for most vehicles on the road. You can do it, but really, why?

As for flow, and the matters related that cause confusion here, there have been all kinds of technical papers and videos shown, so I'm not sure how to make that lesson sink in. Misconceptions about that are spread all over, and even the oil companies take advantage of that.

OK, now that I see the message alert, I'll do that. It'll take a few days as I'm doing elder care and will want to look at things carefully so as to not mislead ...

And maybe allow some peer review before final submission.

It will be noted that most of Motor Oil University is personal opinion and personal observations and should be taken as such.

Last edited:
Yeah, but see when I first came here, I thought that Motor Oil U was the combined wisdom of the senior members who had edited it to be right and truthful. I was shocked to find out it's one persons opinion cloaked as an ivory tower treatise ...

I mean the whole site sort of advertises itself as the working mans oil site with truth and honesty to help dispel myths and marketing hype. Once you get on the inside, you see that is not quite so.

OK, I get opinion in forums. That's general open discussion. But Oil U should be completely credible. It's a banner piece that gets waved around on the web elsewhere ...

I'll do what I can. I've already started writing between "Pop" checks...

Maybe, if we really put our heads together we can fix it up a bit
smile.gif

I'll post here for pier review Wayne's suggestion. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Yeah, but see when I first came here, I thought that Motor Oil U was the combined wisdom of the senior members who had edited it to be right and truthful. I was shocked to find out it's one persons opinion cloaked as an ivory tower treatise ...

I'll do what I can. I've already started writing between "Pop" checks...

Maybe, if we really put our heads together we can fix it up a bit
smile.gif

I'll post here for pier review Wayne's suggestion. Stay tuned...

Why would you assume that since it clearly states the author is AE Haas.

Don't be too critical of some of the early authors and the earlier information.

Many were simply trying to help the Layman understand Motor Oil in the frame of reference of the oil classifications and usage of the day.

Send it to Wayne first and then he can distribute it out for review.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back