Motor Oil, Made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it arrived yet Stateside? Can't be long now considering nearly everything is made there and sold here. They even "make" peeled garlic. I bought some. Would you use China-made oil? I predict Wal Mart will start selling it under the super Tech label. I shudder at the thought. I still haven't gotten over the fact that Nissan OEM filters are made in China!

Oil is usually more expensive in China, and I'd imagine they would import oil from US than shipping oil to the US.

In case you didn't notice, we are selling low quality diesel to China when the new regulation of low sulfur diesel comes in effect. The refineries didn't want to upgrade, so they just sell the low quality stuff elsewhere.

We have some of the best refineries in the world, and we have a bunch of oil coming here from overseas. I imagine shipping the oil to China, they refining it, then shipping it here, would be less cost effective than just making it stateside.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Has it arrived yet Stateside? Can't be long now considering nearly everything is made there and sold here. They even "make" peeled garlic. I bought some. Would you use China-made oil? I predict Wal Mart will start selling it under the super Tech label. I shudder at the thought. I still haven't gotten over the fact that Nissan OEM filters are made in China!

Just like oils from mid-east, south-east Pacific (Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.) and mainland China, I wouldn't necessary trust them oils to meet (letting alone exceeds) API/ILSAC or some stringent European automotive standards or able to hold their grades per automotive manufacturer's standards.

Maybe in 20~30yrs time when they improve their refineries and standards to be of the same stringent NAmerican/European/Japanese standards would I then consider buying their products.

But for now, no thanks.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Cheap labor and environemtal regulations are so to say lax by USA and euro standards.

The only oil I'd fear would be counterfeit name brand, and China doesn't have much better odds of successfully smuggling some over than anyone else. If attached to a reputable name brand you bet they'd test every batch that came over.

WM gets theirs straight from the source... but does the independent corner gas station? Think of the places now that sell non API oil, they would be the only suspects of poor grade counterfeit oil IMO.

There is NO way you could trust what's in the bottle is the correct formulation unless you did a VOA on every quart. Chinese quality control is, at the very top end, worse than 95%.

I don't like China for a lot of reasons, but I'm not totally against buying some things made there. Food (currently) and oil in the future is something I would never, ever, ever trust.

You forgot the part where the U.S. subsidizes (tax/royalties are reduced) then we sell it cheap to China and they turn around and sell back to us at a higher price. That's how it works for our cotton, we sell it China/other countries dirt cheap, they make clothes, etc and sell it back to us.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I imagine shipping the oil to China, they refining it, then shipping it here, would be less cost effective than just making it stateside.

They do it with peanut butter,I can't see why they can't do it with oil too.

Oil is something that is low in labor but high in transit cost, so why would you ship it to china and blend it back when you can do it with a machine once you get the formula right?

Most house hold chemicals are still made in the US for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Oil is something that is low in labor but high in transit cost, so why would you ship it to china and blend it back when you can do it with a machine once you get the formula right?

Most house hold chemicals are still made in the US for the same reason.

That's probably a good point - The Pennzoil factory doesn't have an old guy stirring a pot all day. The oil comes magically out of a machine that works for nothing but more oil!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
They fired the old guy with the stir stick years ago.

But think.... Pennzoil's loss of that old guy was our gain!!!

Just kidding Johnny, just kidding. But we have gained from you.

Is there a story that I've missed somewhere, regarding your use of Mobil 1 products? Seems a bit odd from a Pennzoil retiree...
21.gif

Actually Chinas HAS GPII refinerys cannot remember if they have a GPIII. But the largest GPIII plant is in Korea not far.

Last edited:
And don't forget Japan either - Idemitsu and ENEOS run some impressive operations there. Chevron by way of Caltex also has refineries in Asia and Australia.

IIRC, there are a few Chinese oils on GM's 6094M list of approved oils.

I don't think there are any Chinese 4718M approved oils, but I no longer own a 4718M engine so I don't keep up with those.

Approved means approved, but I would not use a Chinese motor oil if I had any other choice available to me.

I'd never put any Chinese refined oil in any of my vehicles. With all the lead in the toys, poisoned pet food and similar substandard junk they send our way, how could anyone be expected to trust one of their larger investments (their car) with oil that comes from China? Put all the approval labels you want on the bottles, but I'd never trust it. Besides, I'd rather keep as much of my money here in the U.S.A. as possible.

Last edited:
I am still into major brand oil, although I am giving up my long term use of Pennzoil in favor of Mobil. I will not squander my money supporting inefficient American companies and their unions. However, if an American product is anyways near or a better value than foreign, I will buy American every time. After I read that Kendall uses Korean base stock, I was just as happy I never found any for sale here.

One of the places that Super Tech oil is being custom blended and bottled is in Glendale West Virginia by Warren Distribution.

The factory bottles for Walmart, Autozone, Advance auto, and Castrol.

I really like Super Tech and if walmart goes for that low of a [censored] bidder Im just gunna lose it. [censored] China oil in my car??? Id rather lube my car with my own vomit and urine. Although Id like to see a [censored] China oil brand try to take on our major brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back