Most reliable .380

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the LCP, only because I like the design (and because Ruger's a great company who stands behind their products, although the same can be said about Smith & Wesson). I own a Kel-tec P-32, which was Kel-tec's original mouse gun design -- it came out in the mid-1990s and sort of jump-started the renaissance of smaller caliper polymer pocket pistols. Many of them disappeared from the market after the various import bans in the 1960s and 1970s... My P-32 has been a very reliable (never had a problem with it) pistol that just shoots and shoots and shoots.

What does that have to do with the LCP? Well, the P-32 gave birth to the same-size/larger-caliber Kel-tec P-3AT (phonetically, it's the P-380...). One of the things lost in the process was the last-shot slide hold-open. That, and the loss of one round in the magazine compared with the P-32 keeps me with the P-32. However, the Ruger LCP is essentially a copy of the Kel-tec P-3AT and, from what I read, most of them run just as well as my P-32 does...which is, like a clock.

The thing's about 3/4" wide and...and this is the most important part...weighs less than 10 oz unloaded. It simply disappears in a pocket. And, now, many stores are selling the basic black/black model for $219. That's an incredible value for one of the most concealable and reliable .380s out there.

Most reliable .380? Probably the full size Beretta 85.

For the most reliable compact concealable .380 pistols, look at the Glock 42, Ruger LCP, and Taurus TCP.

Since you are looking for a double action pistol,the single action only Sig P238 doesn't pass your criteria.

Kahn pistols are the worst junk on the market. I'd take a Taurus or Kel-Tec over a Kahr.

The Glocks are very reliable. Small .380 pistols can be ammo sensitive, and very sensitive to limp wristing. Bad technique by the owner does not make a pistol bad.

I know not everyone is a Glock fan, but since the introduction of the Glock 43 (and even SW Shield to a lesser extend) I don't see what the fuss over 380 is all about. You can get a undeniably superior defensive round in virtually the same package as a 380 pocket gun...

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: andrewg
. Apparently not a lot of features though....if you care about that.

Actually..lack of features, like the slide locking back, or a safety is my cup of tea.

Then you need to avoid the little Sig like the plaque. Unless you plan on carrying it uncocked, or cocked with the safety off ...... I rarely carry my 238, although I know several women who do, or the older Colt it was based on. if you like double action only lack of features, and like Sigs ( my wife does, for some reason ) you might look at the smallest variant of the 250 in 9mm.

My personal opinion is that the Beretta's and the PPK are the class of the small 380 field, but the Beretta is no longer avaialble new, and is larger in all dimensions than the PPK, although it can still be pocket carried in slacks or a suit pocket. Beretta is weird about their product line; just because something is not in current production, doesn't mean small batches of guns won't show up at a big retailer for sale.

The CZ83 is also a terrific .380, but it's bigger than the Beretta or PPK - it's prety obvious you have something weighty in your pocket when you carry one of these. But it's a terrifically accurate and reliable gun.

I have an older Sig 230 and I've never had an issue with any type of ammo I put through it. That includes FMJ's, Hollow points or even SWC and round nose lead reloads. It is a double action first shot, single action after that, and it does have a de-cocking lever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
I know not everyone is a Glock fan, but since the introduction of the Glock 43 (and even SW Shield to a lesser extend) I don't see what the fuss over 380 is all about. You can get a undeniably superior defensive round in virtually the same package as a 380 pocket gun...

The 43 and Shield (which I own) are twice as heavy and over an inch longer and higher. Those dimensions in square inches makes the 9mm 50% larger. Its a huge difference when you see them side by side. The lcp is much more carry able.

Originally Posted By: buck91
You can get a undeniably superior defensive round in virtually the same package as a 380 pocket gun...

I don't disagree that the 9mm is a stronger round, but I do disagree that the gun is "virtually the same package as a 380 pocket gun". A Glock 42 actually makes that the most true -- it's pretty large for the capacity that it has (nearly 6" long, 1" thick, 14 oz, and only 6+1 of .380). Using the 42 as a baseline, then I agree that a 43 or Shield is pretty close to the same in size. 43 is 6.3" long, 1" thick, 18 oz, and 6+1 of 9mm. Shield is 6.1" long, 1" thick, 19 oz, and 7+1 of 9mm.

I personally don't consider any of those guns to be pocket pistols because of their size and, to a lesser degree, their weight. The Ruger LCP, Kel-tec P-3AT, and Taurus TCP are all far smaller (in the neighborhood of 5" long, 0.8" wide, 10 oz or less, and 6+1 of .380).

I've been using the Ruger LCP for several years as a carry gun and it is fantastic for 'comfort.' With a cheapo Unkcle Mike's pocket holster it looks like you are just carrying a smartphone. It also works great with an ankle holster. I've never had a malfunction with the pistol, but I must admit I don't shoot it as often as I should. It's just not much fun to shoot. The trigger pull is heavy and long and it has a snappy recoil, which is to be expected with a light pistol of this size in .380 (or 9mm). It feels like work whenever I force myself to practice with the LCP at the range.
frown.gif

I still think the Ruger LCP is a top choice for a carry gun as you are more likely to carry it because it's so easy and comfortable.

I've always liked Glocks and I carry a G23 occasionally. When the G42 came out I was very excited to replace the Ruger LCP with it...until I compared them side-by-side. The G42 is significantly bigger, at least it feels that way as a pocket gun. The trigger on the G42 was also a disappointment, but I suppose that could be fixed.

When the G43 came out, I was also very excited, but it's even bigger than the G42. The trigger also is [censored] on the G43 for some reason.

I've never compared the SIG so I can't comment on that but I think the LCP is a fine choice.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Kahn pistols are the worst junk on the market. I'd take a Taurus or Kel-Tec over a Kahr.

I almost always agree with you but sure don't on that one, IMO Kahr's are great. Mine is with me just about 24/7, quality is leaps and bounds above the other two you mentioned and it has been crazy reliable too although it showed a distaste for one brand of ammo so I don't use that.

Planning on a second Kahr soon in fact, a CM9.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Kahr pistols are the worst junk on the market. I'd take a Taurus or Kel-Tec over a Kahr.

I almost always agree with you but sure don't on that one, IMO Kahr's are great. Mine is with me just about 24/7, quality is leaps and bounds above the other two you mentioned and it has been crazy reliable too although it showed a distaste for one brand of ammo so I don't use that.

Planning on a second Kahr soon in fact, a CM9.

I've owned 7 or 8 Kahr pistols at this point. Thousands and thousands of DOLLARS down range in ammo in an attempt to "break them in" and see if it starts to stabilize and become reliable. After owning that many of them and shooting thousands of dollars worth of .380 and 9mm ammo down range through them, sending them back to Kahr, getting them back, sending thousands of rounds down range again, I came to following conclusion: They are an inherently flawed design. They will never meet MY standards for defensive use. Some of their pistols are OK some of the time. And some of their pistols are just terrible, expensive junk. The best, and I mean the best, cream of the crop Kahr pistol had a failure rate of 2-3%. Meaning a jam or misfire 2-3 rounds out of 100. Completely unacceptable. Perhaps they have better pistols out there, but I have wasted enough time and money on that company that they will NEVER earn my business again.

I get pretty worked up about Kahr pistols, and I can say with absolute certainty that I would rather own a Highpoint than another Kahr gun.

Well that certainly hasn't been my experience with Kahr but fortunately we have lots of excellent choices available.

I think I'd rather find a good knife than carry a Hi Point.
laugh.gif

The thread title is: "Most Reliable .380". In terms of reliability, Glock pistols are in a league all their own. I doubt there is any .380 on the market that overall could compare with a Glock in that caliber, or any other for that matter.

Now, if someone is going to start talking about size and ease of concealment, than perhaps another thread should be started..... "The Most Concealable .380".

Originally Posted By: billt460
The thread title is: "Most Reliable .380". In terms of reliability, Glock pistols are in a league all their own. I doubt there is any .380 on the market that overall could compare with a Glock in that caliber, or any other for that matter.

Now, if someone is going to start talking about size and ease of concealment, than perhaps another thread should be started..... "The Most Concealable .380".

"Ammo “dietary preferences” are, in our lengthy experience with Glock’s double-stack products, are uncharacteristic of the brand, but quite pronounced with the G42."

http://www.guns.com/review/2015/03/21/gun-review-the-glock-42-a-year-later/

This was based on at least 2 guns over a year. Granted they loved the gun, but still.....
I bought this thing as a "stop-gap" carry gun till I find a better one.

and this

While GLOCKs have the well-earned reputation for being able to shoot virtually anything you can cram in a magazine, that’s decidedly not the case with the G42

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-glock-42/

I bought the LCP as a "stop gapper" til I could find a better one. It certainly isn't the "42". Sometimes "Fan-Boyism" with brand loyalty can get you into big trouble.

Last edited:
I am a die hard Glock fan but would not waste money on a 42. Seriously guys , spend some time on Glock talk and you will see the 42 has had a terrible history.
There have been a few fixes from Glock with the slide release problem, the magazine follower problem and the ftf but still many dissapointed owners that have gotten rid of them.
By contrast the new 43 has been an absolute success.

I have a browning/fn 1922, that is slim, trim and has gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger on a live round. Have not put 5k rounds down the pipe, but seems to be reliable. All things new are not better, 9mm short has been around quite a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back