More fun with roundup (glyphosate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Glyophosphate makes no till methods tenable. Some of the applications may be questionable, such as the resistamct crops that get sprayed.
I like the ability to use it to kill cover crops so that a cash crop can be planted into it with no weed competition such as a heavy vetch cover crop, kill it, leave it lay and plant tomatoe into it. This layer of dead vetch keeps weeds at bay, adds nutrients and retains moisture in the soil.
This chemical is a tool in soil conservation that has unfortunately in questionable ways.

Yes...I'm not one of those Glyphosate naysayers wen used for it's originally intended use...I've got a jug in the shed, and use it.

As you say, the original use...I'm entirely fine with.

"roundup ready", peanut genes into soy I'm not that keen on.

But the "new" applications, applying closer and closer to harvest (hardenning wheat) , and the new one I heard yesterday about wilting off grazing crops had me floored. Apparently it makes the dandelions "sweeter" and more palatable for the animals.

(Like off label drug use, promoted by the drug companies)...

http://www.profeng.com.au/PDFs/Direction...016-01-2009.pdf

Nil animal witholding period after spraying

I did some areas in rock to minimize mowing and water use … weeds have to be knocked out in the spring … but easy to apply to leafs …

I've never heard of it being done here, though I suppose it's possible. Wherever there are community pastures, that certainly wouldn't happen. Also, at least in this province, and depending upon location, a farmer will use land that's not conducive to running machinery as a pasture, while using the nice flat stuff for crops. So, running a sprayer over some of these pastures would be a bit dicey.

I just did a bit of a search, and just about everything on the topic comes from Australian websites. Here, the big worry for spraying on pasture is thistle.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Weird how Polyface Farms and others have lush pastures without needing roundup.

read a great text on pasture that was written back in the '50s.

The author went to farms/stables that had been providing thoroughbreds in the UK for centuries...and they managed a balance of "grass" and "weed", the "weeds" which provided also nutrients.

hundreds of years of pasture, hundreds of years before roundup.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Glyophosphate makes no till methods tenable. Some of the applications may be questionable, such as the resistamct crops that get sprayed.
I like the ability to use it to kill cover crops so that a cash crop can be planted into it with no weed competition such as a heavy vetch cover crop, kill it, leave it lay and plant tomatoe into it. This layer of dead vetch keeps weeds at bay, adds nutrients and retains moisture in the soil.
This chemical is a tool in soil conservation that has unfortunately in questionable ways.

Yes...I'm not one of those Glyphosate naysayers wen used for it's originally intended use...I've got a jug in the shed, and use it.

As you say, the original use...I'm entirely fine with.

"roundup ready", peanut genes into soy I'm not that keen on.

But the "new" applications, applying closer and closer to harvest (hardenning wheat) , and the new one I heard yesterday about wilting off grazing crops had me floored. Apparently it makes the dandelions "sweeter" and more palatable for the animals.

(Like off label drug use, promoted by the drug companies)...

http://www.profeng.com.au/PDFs/Direction...016-01-2009.pdf

Nil animal witholding period after spraying

Yes that is abusing the product and can create unneccesary exposures, this is what is being done here. I would prefer not to have it on s illage or to harden off food crops.

So I’m reading an article about the Bayer & Monsanto deal … and a Roundup add is dancing away below the script …
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back