Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.398 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.752 in
Height: 3.36 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M18X1.5-S

Now, compare that with the recommended oil filter for a 1986 Chevy Astro Van, 4.3 V-6

Fram: Part No. PH3980
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Flow Rating: 3 GPM
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.47 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.75 in
Gasket Thickness: .19 in
Gasket Usage: Base
Height: 4.94 in
Inside Diameter: 18mmx1.5mm Th'd
Outside Diameter: 2.98 in

Driveworks: Part No. DW-4011
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: No
Filter Type/Category: Spin On
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.398 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.752 in
Height: 4.74 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M18X1.5-S

Other than filter height, (3.36 vs 4.75) - these filters seem to be exactly the same. Therefore, it seems that I could use the filter recommended for the 1995 Oldsmobile 3.1 V-6 for the 1986 Chevy Astro 4.3.

Not looking to buy these filters, but looking to use filters that I already have.

Opinions?

Functionally, the same. Spec'ed for different GM applications, shorter ones usually on small cars, longer ones usually on trucks. My old Ciera 3.8 calls for the shorter filter, but has room for the longer one.

You are essentially comparing PF-47's and PF-52's. Yes there is no difference but length, you can use them interchangeably if you have room for the longer PF-52 equivalents.

Yep, as long as you have room for the longer filter, go ahead and use them. You don't even need to worry about bypass pressure on these since the bypass is in the engine.

^^^^ Agree with the above, and even if it had a filter bypass as long the spec was close, I wouldn't be concerned. As mentioned, in case of these GM's with engine bypass not a factor.

As an aside, the AAP DW "Micron rating" is meaningless.

Where it could possibly make a huge difference is on one of the FWD engines where the oil filter is exposed and could be damaged by hitting something because it is an inch or two longer. Not worth the extra length in those situations. But on the Astro, it is a no-brainer to use the longer one, plus it makes it easier to spin on and off in my experience. You must be talking about the luv machine. Probably just changing the filter once in a great while and adding oil, yes? the famous continuous oil change. Friends have an old Dodge minivan that leaks/burns oil and they won't fix. So they just keep adding whatever oil is on sale and change the filter once a year. The oil always looks relatively clean, surprisingly. They have not drained it in years, but to their credit, they check/add oil quite often. It just won't die...

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Where it could possibly make a huge difference is on one of the FWD engines where the oil filter is exposed and could be damaged by hitting something because it is an inch or two longer. Not worth the extra length in those situations. But on the Astro, it is a no-brainer to use the longer one, plus it makes it easier to spin on and off in my experience. You must be talking about the luv machine. Probably just changing the filter once in a great while and adding oil, yes? the famous continuous oil change. Friends have an old Dodge minivan that leaks/burns oil and they won't fix. So they just keep adding whatever oil is on sale and change the filter once a year. The oil always looks relatively clean, surprisingly. They have not drained it in years, but to their credit, they check/add oil quite often. It just won't die...

To borrow a word from our Catholic brothers, "Bingo."

In truth, I haven't changed the oil in the "Luv Machine," since I glued the bearings in back in November of '09. (well, not entirely true, when I glued the bearings, I filled it with used motor oil, ran it for a few weeks, then drained that and replaced with more used motor oil and a new filter - same filter is on there to this day).

Call this a confession if you will, but I have owned the "Luv Machine" for 10 years now and I have never put new oil in it. Back when I did change the oil once a year, I would drain the old oil out and replace with with used oil that I had drained from one of my other cars. Since the bearing episode, I've simply been adding used oil every time it's down. The hard thing is figuring out how much oil is in there since the dip stick broke right after I got it, so I use a long piece of wire that I marked with a file for "five quarts" and "four quarts." I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but so far, it seems to be at least close.

I do have a whole box of different size filters that I have collected here and there over the years. But honestly, what I got to thinking about is this - next time I do an oil change on one of my cars, could I take the used filter off that car and put it on the "Luv Machine"? Seems the 95 Olds is going to be the "filter donor" car. I'm up for an oil change in about 1,000 miles so looks like after three years, dear ole "Luv Machine" is going to get a different filter.

Thanks for the help and insight, it keeps me bold
wink.gif

Hey, GreeCguy, do a search for the thread by the guy who put nothing but used oil in his beater Saturn. Ran about six or eight months ago. Pretty funny, he was really proud of his ingenuity, but I think you've got him beat, hands down!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back